Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Connecting with Local Nature Spirits  (Read 7200 times)

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Christo-Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Connecting with Local Nature Spirits
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:55 pm »
At some point I came to a place in my path where I believed not only that all things are in or a part of the Divine, panentheism, but also that animals, plants, rocks, are individual persons within the oneness of the cosmos.  This kind of just happened for me with my experience of the world over time and certain events I experienced.

My approach to this change in my perspective has been pretty simple.  I try to recycle, save water, that kind of thing.  I visit nature in a place near my home.  Sometimes I leave offerings of bread and water.  Other times I just pick up trash or say some prayers for the life in the area and meditate.

I think this is a pretty good way to connect where I am right now in my path and experiences.  I do plan on researching local plants and animals and such and if I can find the information I'd like to find out how local spirits were honored in my area of the country in the past, but that will take some time.

Would anyone have any suggestions on what you have found works in creating a closer connection between yourself and local nature areas or spirits?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:58:24 pm by RandallS »
My personal moral code:

Love wisely, and do what thou wilt.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting with Nature Spirits
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:42 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;116808

Would anyone have any suggestions on what you have found works in creating a closer connection between yourself and local nature areas or spirits?

No non-native plants in one's yard. If it didn't evolve here, it's not going to live here, is my rule. Let the place go wild as much as possible. Eat indigenous crops when available, either species domesticated by First Nations or more recent  cultivars.  Give thanks to the plant whose body parts you are going to eat, making offerings is also a good idea.

Depending on how serious you are will determine if you practice what my ancestors called "ahimsa" non-harming of life. I emphasize invertebrates in this because the general sentiment I've gotten from society is that invertebrate life doesn't matter. Folks swat flies and spiders like it's nothing, and it is true that very little effort is required to do so, but our vast power over much smaller animals should (in my opinion) make us infinitely gentle and patient with them.

Meaning, when a mosquito bites you, brush it away instead of slapping. If a gnat falls in your orange juice, carefully rescue it and let it outside. If it evolved here, we don't have the right to decide who lives or dies in most circumstances. If deer mice colonize the oven (this has happened to us a few times) or a closet (another recurring problem) you might to kill a few for the sake of everyone's health (mice taste like beef if case you ever want to eat one).

What area do you live in? I know of a couple eastern U.S. sources about native mythology that might be helpful.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;116825
No non-native plants in one's yard. If it didn't evolve here, it's not going to live here, is my rule. Let the place go wild as much as possible. Eat indigenous crops when available, either species domesticated by First Nations or more recent  cultivars.  Give thanks to the plant whose body parts you are going to eat, making offerings is also a good idea.

Depending on how serious you are will determine if you practice what my ancestors called "ahimsa" non-harming of life. I emphasize invertebrates in this because the general sentiment I've gotten from society is that invertebrate life doesn't matter. Folks swat flies and spiders like it's nothing, and it is true that very little effort is required to do so, but our vast power over much smaller animals should (in my opinion) make us infinitely gentle and patient with them.

Meaning, when a mosquito bites you, brush it away instead of slapping. If a gnat falls in your orange juice, carefully rescue it and let it outside. If it evolved here, we don't have the right to decide who lives or dies in most circumstances. If deer mice colonize the oven (this has happened to us a few times) or a closet (another recurring problem) you might to kill a few for the sake of everyone's health (mice taste like beef if case you ever want to eat one).

What area do you live in? I know of a couple eastern U.S. sources about native mythology that might be helpful.

Thank you!  This is helpful.  I am in Texas, East Texas, right in the middle of the Bible belt.  I don't know if that's specific enough or not.

I like what you say about treating all life forms with respect.  I don't kill any bugs if I can help it, and I am a vegan.  There are still a lot of things I could think of that I could improve in my diet, but it's a process.

Thank you again very much.
My personal moral code:

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 09:30:59 pm »
Quote from: EclecticWheel;116835
Thank you!  This is helpful.  I am in Texas, East Texas, right in the middle of the Bible belt.  I don't know if that's specific enough or not.

A bit west, but I still feel that an encyclopedia for an Illinoisan tribe (the Hocak) might be enlightening. It will give you an example of a native mindset.

http://hotcakencyclopedia.com

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:23 am »
Quote from: Materialist;116825
No non-native plants in one's yard. If it didn't evolve here, it's not going to live here, is my rule.

Do you have grass in your lawn?  Odds are, it's not native.  How 'bout dandelions?  Not native.  Plantain (Plantago sp.)?  Not native.  I could go on (and on and on), but you get the idea.

Brina

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Connecting with Local Nature Spirits
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 03:18:18 am »
Quote from: yewberry;116849
Do you have grass in your lawn?  Odds are, it's not native.  How 'bout dandelions?  Not native.  Plantain (Plantago sp.)?  Not native.  I could go on (and on and on), but you get the idea.

Brina

Yeah... my personal experience has not involved any protest from the local land sprits about non-native plants. I have a big mix of plants and shrubs in my garden, and the terrible soil means that the weirdest stuff is happy to grow here, and the most hardy plants can refuse to. I planted heather and flax, and you can't get more British than those - and they're both dying because of the conditions. But my 'red hot pokers' and other surprising ornamental plants are coming back year after year. And the garden spirits don't seem to mind them at all, in my UPG.

I connect with the land spirits by making offerings (ones that benefit rather than harm the local wildlife), picking up rubbish when I go to places like the river or the woods, and doing as much as I can of the environmentally-friendly lifestyle stuff that the OP mentioned. (I think that between composting and recycling, only about 30% of our rubbish goes to the tip now. I'm working on getting that number lower.)

And there's the very simple act of opening yourself up to the spirits of the land - sitting in a quiet place (your garden is fine, but comparing places can be nice) and focusing your awareness on what's around you, and its spirits. I don't have big reactions - I just get a vague sense of what's there.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting with Local Nature Spirits
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 09:40:30 am »
At some point I came to a place in my path where I believed not only that all things are in or a part of the Divine, panentheism, but also that animals, plants, rocks, are individual persons within the oneness of the cosmos.  This kind of just happened for me with my experience of the world over time and certain events I experienced.

My approach to this change in my perspective has been pretty simple.  I try to recycle, save water, that kind of thing.  I visit nature in a place near my home.  Sometimes I leave offerings of bread and water.  Other times I just pick up trash or say some prayers for the life in the area and meditate.

I think this is a pretty good way to connect where I am right now in my path and experiences.  I do plan on researching local plants and animals and such and if I can find the information I'd like to find out how local spirits were honored in my area of the country in the past, but that will take some time.

Personally I find that the best thing you can do to make a connection to nature spirits is to do what feels right to you in that regard. Personally  I make offerings, I spend time outside, I tend the land around my home,  and I shamelessly talk to the trees and other wildlife. :P The trick I think isn't exactly adopting a harm none mentality, but taking up a healthy pattern of give and take. ( I saw that you are vegan, so that is aimed more at other meat eaters like myself who might peruse this. Personally I believe in plant sentience hence my draw to nature spirits, so eating a plant and eating an animal are basically equal. Takes life to give life so I just try to do it the right way )  by healthy I mean it works for you and works for the spirits you are connecting with. Not all spirits are going to respond to the same approach. for instance if you are trying to commune with a particular spirit or animal like wolf or coyote there are behaviors and offerings that are appropriate there that would not be for deer or a rabbit. Alternately in trying to commune and work with the genius loci I would probably take still another approach. Personally as a general rule I go out to my tree ( its a smallish oak that grows in my yard about 20 feet back from the edge of my garden, it houses a pair of cardinals and blue jays and a couple rabbits in its roots as well ) once there I make it an offering, pouring water and sprinkling herbs about the roots while I speak with him.  Some times I leave other offerings, carved bone or some other charm or blessing as it takes my whim, light incense or w.e. Then I sit and meditate and just breath for a bit.  After that it depends what feels right, Sometimes after that point im energized, full to bursting and I get up and just need to move. I might find myself pulled into a kata or just to run a bit. Other times I feel hollowed out and I respond accordingly.Finally I reach for them, and most times they reach back.

EclecticWheel

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 06:32:41 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;116872
Personally I find that the best thing you can do to make a connection to nature spirits is to do what feels right to you in that regard. Personally  I make offerings, I spend time outside, I tend the land around my home,  and I shamelessly talk to the trees and other wildlife. :P The trick I think isn't exactly adopting a harm none mentality, but taking up a healthy pattern of give and take. ( I saw that you are vegan, so that is aimed more at other meat eaters like myself who might peruse this. Personally I believe in plant sentience hence my draw to nature spirits, so eating a plant and eating an animal are basically equal. Takes life to give life so I just try to do it the right way )  by healthy I mean it works for you and works for the spirits you are connecting with. Not all spirits are going to respond to the same approach. for instance if you are trying to commune with a particular spirit or animal like wolf or coyote there are behaviors and offerings that are appropriate there that would not be for deer or a rabbit. Alternately in trying to commune and work with the genius loci I would probably take still another approach. Personally as a general rule I go out to my tree ( its a smallish oak that grows in my yard about 20 feet back from the edge of my garden, it houses a pair of cardinals and blue jays and a couple rabbits in its roots as well ) once there I make it an offering, pouring water and sprinkling herbs about the roots while I speak with him.  Some times I leave other offerings, carved bone or some other charm or blessing as it takes my whim, light incense or w.e. Then I sit and meditate and just breath for a bit.  After that it depends what feels right, Sometimes after that point im energized, full to bursting and I get up and just need to move. I might find myself pulled into a kata or just to run a bit. Other times I feel hollowed out and I respond accordingly.Finally I reach for them, and most times they reach back.

Thanks -- this sounds along the lines I'm exploring and developing.

As far as the vegan thing, I should add that I do not believe that eating meat is some kind of absolute wrong, nor that one form of life (animals) is superior to another (plant life).  There are two main reasons I'm a vegan, though.  I do not approve of the conditions of the animals in factory farms, and I won't eat something I can't kill myself.  I'm also concerned about the environmental implications of factory farming.  I am way too sensitive to kill an animal.  Therefore, I will not eat one.  On the other hand, I can kill a plant (even though I really hate to and wouldn't do so without a good reason), so I'm more comfortable eating that.  Of course, my diet and other life style choices are far from perfect.  It's a process, it takes time.

Thanks again for taking the time to give your insight.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 06:36:00 pm by EclecticWheel »
My personal moral code:

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 07:13:16 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;116849

There is grass in the yard, unfortunately, they all look the same to me, so I have ordered a grass identification guide that reviewers say is one of the best.  Hopefully, I'll be able to learn what they are. Taraxacum, Plantago, and any other non-native species I can positively identify I do remove from the yard, depending on how a species grows. Glechoma and Trifolium I don't know what to do with, short of letting the grass grow to full height in hopes of killing off such creeping ground cover, but my parents wouldn't allow that.

Sarah

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 08:26:05 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;117184
There is grass in the yard, unfortunately, they all look the same to me, so I have ordered a grass identification guide that reviewers say is one of the best.  Hopefully, I'll be able to learn what they are. Taraxacum, Plantago, and any other non-native species I can positively identify I do remove from the yard, depending on how a species grows. Glechoma and Trifolium I don't know what to do with, short of letting the grass grow to full height in hopes of killing off such creeping ground cover, but my parents wouldn't allow that.

why do you think land spirits would have a problem with non native plants? Where I live if you grow back far enough almost everything that grows or that we eat is non native.
Knowing when to use a shovel is what being a witch is all about. Nanny Ogg, Witches Abroad

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:47:50 pm »

Birdwatching. Becoming familiar with with the birds of your area is a great way of connecting with the locality. Their behavior is a window on so much of the natural world.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:03:06 am »
Quote from: Materialist;117184

Wow, talk about your uphill battles.  Sounds both futile and pointless to me, but have at it.  Any grass that's growing as a "lawn" in your area is 100% non-native, I promise.  So start digging.  Oh, and any native grasses you replace it with won't be soft and groomable (more clumping and tufty).  But I'm sure your parents won't mind.

Brina

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 01:13:01 am »
Quote from: Altair;117204
Birdwatching. Becoming familiar with with the birds of your area is a great way of connecting with the locality. Their behavior is a window on so much of the natural world.

Birds are second only to plants for me as natural timekeepers.  Every year a male bush tit or two have mad, hormonal arguments with their reflections in our windows before eventually calling a stalemate.  Every year the robins wake us in May to their lusty cries.  Later, their fledglings (and those of the cedar waxwings) learn to fly from the eaves and gutters.

Autumn and winter bring quiet, but the birds are still there (chickadees, towhees, and the omnipresent robin), almost noiseless save little chips and chirps, picking through the rue and sunflowers for seeds and digging for whatever the wet ground will bear.

Brina

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:23 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;117214
Autumn and winter bring quiet, but the birds are still there (chickadees, towhees, and the omnipresent robin), almost noiseless save little chips and chirps, picking through the rue and sunflowers for seeds and digging for whatever the wet ground will bear.

I can tell autumn is coming when I wake up and find peacocks in my yard.  Weird.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 02:01:36 pm »
Quote from: maybeimawitch;117192
why do you think land spirits would have a problem with non native plants? Where I live if you grow back far enough almost everything that grows or that we eat is non native.

"Grow back far enough"? I don't think that came out right. Where I live, native species still have a strong presence. The Land has a problem with invasive species because they are destroying the ecosystem by replacing everything that evolved here with Asian and European species. They are not of This Land. It is the final conquest of America-my ancestors killed off the native humans, and now their descendants are killing off anything else native. I am not going to participate in this.

Tags: