Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Using Statues  (Read 3278 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Using Statues
« on: July 24, 2013, 12:00:44 pm »
Do you use statues to represent deities on shrines and altars, and if so, what benefit do they have for you? Do you care for them as temple idols that literally contain the spirit of the deities, or are they more of a visual focal point for prayers?

Personally, I feel like I'm pulling away from using statues to represent deities in my own practice. I've collected quite a few, but I don't feel like they really enhanced my practice that much, especially in relation to how expensive they tend to be. A candle of an appropriate colour and a symbol from nature can be just as effective.

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Using Statues
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 02:28:51 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;116602
Do you use statues to represent deities on shrines and altars, and if so, what benefit do they have for you? Do you care for them as temple idols that literally contain the spirit of the deities, or are they more of a visual focal point for prayers?/QUOTE]

I do have a statue of Aphrodite that serves as a focal point on her altar. I do not treat it as an idol.

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 02:50:32 pm »
Do you use statues to represent deities on shrines and altars, and if so, what benefit do they have for you? Do you care for them as temple idols that literally contain the spirit of the deities, or are they more of a visual focal point for prayers?

My statue of Anpu is more a focus point in prayer.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 02:59:21 pm »

Did you mean temple icons, rather than idols?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

troll maiden

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 07:01:15 pm »

Personally, I feel like I'm pulling away from using statues to represent deities in my own practice. I've collected quite a few, but I don't feel like they really enhanced my practice that much, especially in relation to how expensive they tend to be. A candle of an appropriate colour and a symbol from nature can be just as effective.

At the moment all I have is a little pyrography tile depicting Demeter. To be honest the only reason I have that is because it was pretty much screaming at me when I saw it at a medieval fair last year. I give it a clean every now and the, but it's not treated as an actual vessel containing Demeter. Think it might be a bit too cramped for that.
To be honest, I like it but I feel way more close to Demeter when I'm outside experiencing nature.

Statues can be very expensive, hence why I currently have none. I do like them though as I'm a very visual and tactile person. However, I just never come across any that I feel pulled towards. There are some things that I would like to add to my altar, but I am horrendously lazy so it might take me a while. :whis:

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 07:16:25 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;116621
Did you mean temple icons, rather than idols?

Let's not argue semantics.

According to Google definitions:

Icon:
1.    A painting of Christ or another holy figure, used as an aid to devotion in the Byzantine and other Eastern Churches.
2.    A person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something: "icon of manhood".

Idol:
1.   An image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.
 2.   A person or thing that is greatly admired, loved, or revered: "movie idol Robert Redford".

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 07:18:32 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;116672

According to Google definitions:

I love when people trot out a dictionary definition to rebut the argument that words mean things.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 07:43:37 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;116672

But semantics are important!

Merriam-Webster defines semantics as "the study of meanings" and what could possibly be more vital in the attempt to communicate than to make sure that we're using words that mean what we intend them to mean?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 08:12:35 pm »

I don't have statues that were actually made in the likeness of particular deities or anything, but I do have a range of ornaments/figurines/tchotchkes on my shrine.  (My altar is currently a flat empty space waiting to have something done with it.)  To be bluntly honest, it's mostly for the shiny.  I *like* having representations of the Goddesses I work with, various ancestral/local entities, and the things I'm trying to bring into my life.  I like physical reminders of that, the same way many people like having photos of their family up on the walls or put up a string over the mantlepiece to display Christmas cards.

Maybe the entities the bits and bobs represent like the shiny too.  I'm pretty sure the housewights at my old place appreciated the clay 'house' I made to store their offerings (I buried it in the backyard when I left), and my UPG suggests Sulis doesn't mind pretty things and trinkets, particularly silvery ones.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »

All of the statues I use are offerings to my deities, and function as decoration.  I don't find them necessary for worship, as I don't view them as vessels for the divine.  In fact, they're recent additions after years of being on my path.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 10:12:12 pm by DashesAgainst »
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 10:31:47 pm »

I have done so in the past when I was more Brighid focussed, but with the cats, the statues have tended to be knocked over and broken, regardless of how well I try to protect them. For Morrigan I have only the one (although tthe raven is beak-less)...  It's the closest I feel is the best representative of Her. It's more for me and a focal point in meditations etc.  A visual reminder to me to honour both Her and myself before I head out the door to do 'whatever'.  There are bits of 'pretty' etc there too, but for me, it seems like Morrigan is more interested in getting my inner work sorted out first, then have a pretty shrine (a close second, I may add)

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2013, 10:37:57 pm »

I've never been able to find a statue that really called out to me. I have found that right now in my practice that have symbols of the Goddess I work with have been working well for me. I can feel that my altar is a special place for me to commune with her, but I don't need a statue to do said communicating.

I've found that candles work well for me as well, since when I light my candle, it is my focus point and it takes me to another plane to communicate with her.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 11:45:19 pm »
Quote from: Juni;116674
I love when people trot out a dictionary definition to rebut the argument that words mean things.

Quote from: Jack;116679
But semantics are important!

Merriam-Webster defines semantics as "the study of meanings" and what could possibly be more vital in the attempt to communicate than to make sure that we're using words that mean what we intend them to mean?

Yikes, I love people on the internet. Next time I'll just say that I used the word I meant to use, and leave it at that, I didn't realize using definitions would be so controversial. Someone questioned my word usage, I pointed out the word I used was correct, as an idol refers to a statue that is an object of veneration while an icon is only a symbol used for religious devotion that does not have to be a statue. Great, now you can move on with your lives, such as they are.

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 12:19:32 am »

I'm one of those Pagans who has a lot of statuary, but it helps when you work with lots of different gods. For me, they are focal points of worship, though I also use art/photos if I don't have a statue to use. I like having some form of representation on my shrine to work with, so I can properly address/focus my worship/rites.

None of my statues are open, though, if that's what you mean by idols. I don't have the time, resources, nor inclination to tend to open statues with proper Temple rites. So I have shrines instead, for prayers and rites. Statues are easier to work with too, when space is limited, because I can more easily mark out space for everyone. And, I can see everyone. It's a nice reminder of all my Gods, particularly as all my shrines are in my bedroom. I feel like I'm sleeping in a temple every night. XD

I've been lucky in that I've been able to pick up all my statuary in person, rather than buy online (because shipping is expensive D: ), which is important to me. I really prefer being able to touch and hold before I buy, to make sure I have the right one.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:20:16 am by Sobekemiti »
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 01:19:40 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;116704
Great, now you can move on with your lives, such as they are.

Are- are you implying that people on the internet have too much free time? That we have not lives because we're replying to you?
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Tags: