collapse

Author Topic: The Hunter  (Read 3483 times)

NCPilot

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
The Hunter
« on: July 11, 2013, 11:20:04 am »
If I posted this in the wrong forum, then please move it for me.  

So I've been around the pagan scene for awhile and I've noticed that there's been a lot of emphasis on the growing season and the Spring and Summer months.  Which I'm not knocking, if that's what work for people, then that what works for them.  

However, it seems that the Fall and Winter months seem to get neglected, the part of the year that I believe belongs to The Hunter.  In the Spring and Summer farmers and field workers plant and grow their crops and reap them in the late Summer early Fall.  However in the fall and winter, hunters hunt for their food.  

Yes it is the season for death, as plants wilt their leaves, and the hunters do slain the animals when the earth becomes cold.  However, I think this time has it's own form of magic that I believe is being unappreciated.

The cold and dark days do have their own cycle, which heightens at the Winter Solstice and then makes way for the Warm season.

Just as the warm season's magic is at it's strongest during the Summer Solstice, so is the Cold Season's magic is at it's strongest during the Winter Solstice.

Honestly I have a stronger connection to the cold season because I love the Fall and Winter and I work with dogs, who are descendents from the wolves.  Wolves seem to be more in tuned with the Cold Season than they do with the Warm Season, but maybe I'm off on that?

I just feel more in tuned with the Hunter than I do with the Farmer.

/rambling rant.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Hunter
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 07:17:42 pm »
Quote from: NCPilot;115241

So I've been around the pagan scene for awhile and I've noticed that there's been a lot of emphasis on the growing season and the Spring and Summer months.  Which I'm not knocking, if that's what work for people, then that what works for them.  

However, it seems that the Fall and Winter months seem to get neglected, the part of the year that I believe belongs to The Hunter.  In the Spring and Summer farmers and field workers plant and grow their crops and reap them in the late Summer early Fall.  However in the fall and winter, hunters hunt for their food.  

Yes it is the season for death, as plants wilt their leaves, and the hunters do slain the animals when the earth becomes cold.  However, I think this time has it's own form of magic that I believe is being unappreciated.

The cold and dark days do have their own cycle, which heightens at the Winter Solstice and then makes way for the Warm season.

Just as the warm season's magic is at it's strongest during the Summer Solstice, so is the Cold Season's magic is at it's strongest during the Winter Solstice.

Honestly I have a stronger connection to the cold season because I love the Fall and Winter and I work with dogs, who are descendents from the wolves.  Wolves seem to be more in tuned with the Cold Season than they do with the Warm Season, but maybe I'm off on that?

/rambling rant.

I'm drawn more to the fall and winter seasons as well, probably due in no small part because I find any heat over 70 rather uncomfortable and I burn in the sun within 10 minutes of exposure.

I've never quite heard it referred to as The Hunter, but I suppose it fits. For me, it's a time of quiet, of tuning into the lower, steadier energies, and of being aligned with my core self. Maybe I'm just more of a low-energy individual though. :)

NCPilot

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 07:54:54 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;115305
I'm drawn more to the fall and winter seasons as well, probably due in no small part because I find any heat over 70 rather uncomfortable and I burn in the sun within 10 minutes of exposure.

I've never quite heard it referred to as The Hunter, but I suppose it fits. For me, it's a time of quiet, of tuning into the lower, steadier energies, and of being aligned with my core self. Maybe I'm just more of a low-energy individual though. :)

I'm also a low-energy individual, which I guess is why I resonate with the Fall and Winter season.  It doesn't have the same vibrant and alive energy that the Warm Season has, but it does have it own, equally powerful energy that I like to use in my rituals and spell works.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:26:25 pm »

So I've been around the pagan scene for awhile and I've noticed that there's been a lot of emphasis on the growing season and the Spring and Summer months...

I can understand your logic, my family grows crops in the summer and hunts deer in the winter. Yet, during summer, there is a different kind of hunting-hunting the things that might kill our crops. Japanese beetles, various weeds that grow so dense they kill off everything else. The garden needs constant patrolling to keep them in check. To me it feels like hunting, just not for food.

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 09:24:59 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;115305

I'm the same way! I looked for a while for a Winter Goddess, but couldn't find one. I thought of working with Chione, but the more I read, the more I saw her referred to as a nymph. So I still honor her, but I don't work as closely with her as with others.

I think fall and winter are taken for granted. I would live in a place where it snows all the time if I could afford to pick up and move. I think it's beautiful and deserves honoring.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 09:36:26 pm »
Quote from: Elyria;115638
I'm the same way! I looked for a while for a Winter Goddess, but couldn't find one. I thought of working with Chione, but the more I read, the more I saw her referred to as a nymph. So I still honor her, but I don't work as closely with her as with others.

I think fall and winter are taken for granted. I would live in a place where it snows all the time if I could afford to pick up and move. I think it's beautiful and deserves honoring.

Morana, Slavic deity of winter and death. :)

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:05:12 pm »
Quote from: NCPilot;115313
I'm also a low-energy individual, which I guess is why I resonate with the Fall and Winter season.  It doesn't have the same vibrant and alive energy that the Warm Season has, but it does have it own, equally powerful energy that I like to use in my rituals and spell works.

Hm.  The 'dark half' of the year is vibrant and energetic to me, in fact I feel more alive in September than I do in March.  Very much earth & fire imho.  Interesting how seasons affect people differently.
Although I'm not a hunter I can see the power in the archetype.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 02:26:03 am »
Quote from: Laveth;115642
Morana, Slavic deity of winter and death. :)

She is an excellent goddess! There's also the Norse Skadi.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 11:57:08 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;115648
Hm.  The 'dark half' of the year is vibrant and energetic to me, in fact I feel more alive in September than I do in March.  Very much earth & fire imho.  Interesting how seasons affect people differently.
Although I'm not a hunter I can see the power in the archetype.

That is what I meant. Because my energy/personality "type" better resonates with the colder seasons, I am far more active, aware, and aligned in that half (more like 8 months here) of the year. But when summer comes around, when everyone else is outside frollicking and getting into trouble, I'm usually either holed up in my room reading folklore or playing some non-descript mmorpg. :)

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 11:59:08 am »
Quote from: Jack;115661

If I was smart, I would actually give her an entry in my blog one of these days.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 01:55:56 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;115698
If I was smart, I would actually give her an entry in my blog one of these days.

I'd love to see that, if you get the time to do it.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Eleni

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 02:10:46 pm »
Quote from: Jack;115661

Also Persephone!

I've always been partial to autumn and winter, part of that may be my black thumb, part of it may be my preference to hunt for food rather than "cultivate" food, my own tendency towards having depressive episodes or my intolerance towards heat and bugs.

I think of the year as a cycle of energy, that energy is at its highest and most rapid frequency during spring and summer and it changes into a lower, slower frequency. I think there's a bit of social taboo to being too comfortable with things like death and decay and it's hard for some people to not assign negativity to those things.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 02:41:05 pm »

/rambling rant.

I love spring and summer, but i come alive in the fall, and to a degree in the winter as well. All my best creative stuff usually happens from late August to mid November.

I like your connection to a hunter deity/spirit/force.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 03:43:36 pm »

I can't speak for wolves, but I work with dogs as well. The dogs I know have no problem working for hours at a time when the temperature is near freezing. However, in the 96 degree heat we had yesterday, the dogs could only work for about 15 minutes before the heat was too much for them.

ALiteraryLady

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 05:12:19 pm »

/rambling rant.

For me it is more the case of what kind of energy I experience during the seasons. Like right now I have a desire to be outside in my garden watching it grow and making floral offerings to my Goddess on a daily or bi-daily basis. I also love getting into the dirt and tending to the potted plants on my balcony and experiencing joy from interacting with the actual earth.

I find that for myself during the fall and winter that I still like the outdoors, but my energy is more creative and internal, versus being survival-like and external. During the winter I tend to be holed up in my apartment during my days off, either knitting, crocheting, or making something creative to use to keep me or my boyfriend warm.

For the record, if you will that is, I've tried working with Skadhi in the past, and honoring her during the summer is very, very hard to do, at least for me it was. It just didn't feel right. I felt like I was trying to drag her to the edge of the ocean and she wasn't having any of it. :S Good luck to you with your hunter.

Tags: