collapse

Author Topic: What makes you interpret one thing as a sign and another as a coincidence?  (Read 2513 times)

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
If this makes any since, what makes you interpret one thing as a sign, from the gods (or anything else spiritual, for that matter) and another as a coincidence?
For example, I was just reading about Loki turning into a type of fly and stinging a dwarf. Some kind of bug (it happened so fast that I wasn't even sure what kind) flew down and landed on my page for a second and flew off. I'm in a room with the door shut, and  I hadn't seen it before then, and I haven't seen it since.
When it comes to things like this, I don't want to look too much into it, and yet I don't want to not look enough into it, if i'm not completely rambling. I still have next to no experience, so any opinions, insights, or personal experiences with these things would be greatly appreciated :)

Elyria

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Quote from: deadlyxnightshade;115022
If this makes any since, what makes you interpret one thing as a sign, from the gods (or anything else spiritual, for that matter) and another as a coincidence?

I love owls. LOVE them. I have for a couple years now (meaning, before this stupid owl trend). And I love crows. And winter. And I'm mildly psychic. When I finally figured out who I wanted to pray to, I discovered that her animals are the owl and crow, her season is winter, and she, in Orphic hymns, would deliver prophecies from her cave.

So how do I know I'm the way I am because her presence has influenced my life?

Easy. I don't believe in coincidences.

:)

Varian

• Journeyman
    • View Profile

For me, it comes down to gut feelings, I can't think of any other way to explain it.  However, that's how I interpret things--a feeling of "yes, this is a sign" or "yes, this is simply coincidence"--your millage may vary.

Tay Redgrave

• Journeyman
  • Devil May Cry's a rockin'
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Polytheistic Hedgewitch
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers

Two things: If it came at an interesting timing and if it stands out as a sign, as something I should pay attention to. If it doesn't resonate with me, it most likely isn't a sign or I'm just not understanding it right now, haha.

deadlyxnightshade

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lokadyne;115085
Two things: If it came at an interesting timing and if it stands out as a sign, as something I should pay attention to. If it doesn't resonate with me, it most likely isn't a sign or I'm just not understanding it right now, haha.

Makes sense. Thanks for the responses, everyone. I always worry that something important will happen and I'll be too oblivious to even notice it!

Grey&Golden

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile

For me to interpret something as a sign, I'd say the timing is significant, whether or not you're having a troubling time with something that might require a sign from the gods, and most important is your gut feeling and the reaction it causes in you. I don't receive signs often from the gods at all, I think they do it very rarely. There's a few that I can remember, but I can remember one very specific one that I think I will never forget. It was perfect timing when I was in a troubled moment and completely unexpected, and the "feeling" I got from it was something I have never experienced since. A deep drop in my gut like I just swallowed a heavy stone, I couldn't breathe right, I was in a state of shock for days afterward. It was beyond a doubt in my mind that one of the gods (I'm being vague because it was such an important and personal experience that I don't feel comfortable sharing) had actually been before me and intentionally reached out with a physical sign. It was the sign that "converted" me if you will into my polytheism.

So, just my response, I think signs should be significantly felt. Even if you don't know exactly what the sign meant or are still interpreting it, I think the feeling you get from it should be significant. I can't speak for everyone but that's my feeling, a sign from the gods themselves is a humbling experience.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:32:09 pm by Grey&Golden »

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Quote from: Lokadyne;115085

This would be it for me for the most part. I also find that for me, signs repeat themselves. Like the same dream over and over again. Coincidences are a one-time deal, and don't come with a gut feeling.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
For example, I was just reading about Loki turning into a type of fly and stinging a dwarf. Some kind of bug (it happened so fast that I wasn't even sure what kind) flew down and landed on my page for a second and flew off. I'm in a room with the door shut, and  I hadn't seen it before then, and I haven't seen it since.
When it comes to things like this, I don't want to look too much into it, and yet I don't want to not look enough into it, if i'm not completely rambling. I still have next to no experience, so any opinions, insights, or personal experiences with these things would be greatly appreciated :)

Like has been mentioned I look at the timing and circumstance.

Some examples.

I live in a fairly rural area so anything to do with animals and/or plant life I tend to just brush off as just naturally occuring things. Yet almost everything I have thought to have been possibly a sign has had something to do with animals.

There was the time that for over a week straight every single morning when I walked under a certain tree on my way to work a crow feather would fall at my feet. Had never happened before. I even took to changing up what time I left the house and it still happened. I took some time to figure out what it might mean and when I reached my conclusion and acted on it - no more feathers.

Recently I had a very spiritual experience and the next morning while sitting in my art studio having a coffee and looking out the window a dragonfly landed on the sill and sat there staring at me for the longest time. That to me was in the timing and the fact that I sit in that same spot every morning and have never ever seen a dragonfly.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

LadyLabcoat

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile

For me, timing is important. When I get things that feel like signs it's usually right after I was thinking about someone or something and it feels like they're saying, 'Hey, I got your message.' And, being of a scientific bent that likes to over-analyse, I feel like if you have to think about it too hard, it might just be coincidence.

So generally, it goes to gut instinct like lots of people have said: if it feels like a sign, it probably is, and if it feels like coincidence, it probably is. And I have to believe that if the Gods want me to know something and I overlook one sign they'll send another one until it slaps me in the face.

Tags: