collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Jack Frost- myths or connections?  (Read 1965 times)

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Jack Frost- myths or connections?
« on: July 03, 2013, 01:40:09 am »
Sorry if this ones been covered before- I searched and only found references to Father Winter.

I had heard a friend refer to "Jokul Frosti" but when I went searching around I couldn't find any source info for either that or Jack Frost.  Does anyone have any starting points for the myth origins?
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Jack Frost- myths or connections?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:43:19 am »
Quote from: Nekomata;114429
I had heard a friend refer to "Jokul Frosti" but when I went searching around I couldn't find any source info for either that or Jack Frost.  Does anyone have any starting points for the myth origins?

From what I could find there's no real references to Jack Frost earlier than a couple of hundred years ago. Jack Frost may simply have started as another name for "Father Winter/Old Man Winter."  Catja might know more as folklore is her speciality.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Jack Frost- myths or connections?
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 11:42:23 am »

Personally, I've only worked with him in a Seasons Guardians sense. :) Like RandallS, I haven't seen any references that are particularly old.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 06:50:39 pm »
Sorry if this ones been covered before- I searched and only found references to Father Winter.

Off the top of my head, there doesn't seem to be any myths--that is, sacred stories--about Jack Frost figures. The folk narratives I know are all Russian variants of ATU tale type 480, "The Kind and Unkind Girls" (abused stepdaughter is sent on errand, is kind to supernatural being and gets rewarded; true daughter is sent out, is rude to supernatural being and is punished), with Grandfather Frost (Morozko) as the being in question. Incidentally, it was meditating on these types of stories that led Vladimir Propp to develop his "31 functions" method of fairy tale analysis: he realized that in all the stories of this tale type, it almost never matters whether the supernatural being is Morozko or a leshy (forest spirit) or a talking bear or whatever, because their *specific* nature as Morozko or leshi or talking bear or whatever is not in play--what matters is the ROLE they assume within the story. So, in the folklore material I'm familiar with, Morozko/Jack Frost is noteworthy because of how UNSPECIFIC he is. There's also the literary figure that shows up in 19th- and 20th-century stuff, but he seems to be more a poetic conceit than an actual *being*.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 08:23:56 pm »

Great topic! I have been trying to research this for a while, but probably came to all the same dead ends that you have.

The only reference I have found *in the last while to Jokul Frosti is this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokul If you go down to the Kari section he is briefly mentioned.

*I used to have another great link on my old computer, but when it died so did all the stuff I had on it....... :mad:
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 03:26:23 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;114480
Great topic! I have been trying to research this for a while, but probably came to all the same dead ends that you have.

The only reference I have found *in the last while to Jokul Frosti is this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokul If you go down to the Kari section he is briefly mentioned.

*I used to have another great link on my old computer, but when it died so did all the stuff I had on it....... :mad:

Good but sad to know! Thanks!
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Tags: