collapse

Author Topic: Books: What are your Bible equivalents?  (Read 5455 times)

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
What are your Bible equivalents?
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:31:29 am »
Every time I move, I have a few books that I stuff into my backpack and bring with me, along with the most important of my currently active notebooks. When my backpack is packed it's the last thing to leave the place except for the cleaning supplies -- and it stays with me no matter what.

The books I put in it are the equivalent of the Christian Bible for me. Around the time that I put them together, I always wonder what other people's are.

They can be books that you just really, really like a lot, I guess. But what I mean are what books are meaningful for you, or say something profound to you about the way to live life? Or have a spiritual message that applies to you, even if they aren't necessarily spiritual in nature? They can be pagan books or not, or fiction, nonfiction, poetry, whatever.

Mine are:

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (this one was the first book I made sure I always had with me)

Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman

Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite (Billy Martin)

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo (this is the latest one to make the grade for me -- it's been with the others for about the past five or six years)

There are a few others: The collected Poe, Millay, and Yeats. Best Loved Poems of the American People. The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, and The Awakening by Kate Chopin. But they aren't in my absolute, last to leave group.

I hope this makes sense, I'm really tired but having an insomnia fit.

So what about you?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:36:07 am by RandallS »
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: What are your Bible equivalents?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 07:01:59 am »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;114126

The books I put in it are the equivalent of the Christian Bible for me. Around the time that I put them together, I always wonder what other people's are.

They can be books that you just really, really like a lot, I guess. But what I mean are what books are meaningful for you, or say something profound to you about the way to live life? Or have a spiritual message that applies to you, even if they aren't necessarily spiritual in nature? They can be pagan books or not, or fiction, nonfiction, poetry, whatever.

Interesting question, and I'll be curious to see what others say, because--maybe it's too early and I'm just not thinking clearly--but I can't name a single one. There's nothing I clutch to my heart as a bible equivalent (which may be why I just finished writing my own).

I always keep a collection of Ray Bradbury short stories by my bedside, but that's more because I'm such an admirer of his craft, his skill in writing in the short story form, which makes many of the stories so moving and effective.

I read Tolkein as a kid and that put a huge stamp on me, but in terms of a way of living? It showed me the beauty of melancholy, an acceptance that things pass away. Starhawk's The Spiral Dance hit home, since it was my first exposure to nature-based neopaganism--the first time I'd seen so much of my own approach to life and understanding of the world set down on paper. But I haven't read any of these in years.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23:12 am »

They can be books that you just really, really like a lot, I guess. But what I mean are what books are meaningful for you, or say something profound to you about the way to live life? Or have a spiritual message that applies to you, even if they aren't necessarily spiritual in nature?

There really aren't any books in my life that are the equivalent of the Christian Bible (or the Jewish Bible or the Qu'ran). Nothing in my life in the equivalent of those books. No book (or collection of books) is the main guide to how I'm supposed to live my life to please some deity. No book (or collection of books) has been a constant guide to life or spirituality. Sure, various books have been important in this respect at different times in my life, but none of those books have been important in those respects for a great period of my life like the holy books of the JCI religions tend to be for the followers of those religions.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:14 am »
Every time I move, I have a few books that I stuff into my backpack and bring with me, along with the most important of my currently active notebooks. When my backpack is packed it's the last thing to leave the place except for the cleaning supplies -- and it stays with me no matter what.

Mine are:

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (this one was the first book I made sure I always had with me)

The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo (this is the latest one to make the grade for me -- it's been with the others for about the past five or six years)

There are a few others: The collected Poe, Millay, and Yeats. Best Loved Poems of the American People. The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, and The Awakening by Kate Chopin. But they aren't in my absolute, last to leave group.

So what about you?

Longing for Wisdom: The Message of the Maxims

The Divine Comedy

The Meditations of Marcus Aurelieus

And any journals/sketchbooks I'm currently working in. I do tend to carry books with me whereever I go, which is one of the reasons I'm searching for a messenger bag I actually like. These three books have been a large part of my life for a few years and I always seem to go back to them, especially The Divine Comedy.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 10:38:09 am »

Mine are:

So what about you?

For sure the digital books have made this way easier. I always hated choosing books because what if I finished them? Or suddenly felt like reading something I didn't pick?  I have never been attached to only one book, though there are times I have preferences for extended periods. I do, however, always carry a notebook. Usually the composite style, but anything I can write in works. Homework, random notes and quotes, all sorts of stuff.  Always felt I had to have a notebook.
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »
Quote from: Nekomata;114145
For sure the digital books have made this way easier. I always hated choosing books because what if I finished them? Or suddenly felt like reading something I didn't pick?  I have never been attached to only one book, though there are times I have preferences for extended periods. I do, however, always carry a notebook. Usually the composite style, but anything I can write in works. Homework, random notes and quotes, all sorts of stuff.  Always felt I had to have a notebook.

There are books that are basically my comfort reading that I am so, so glad I can keep on my phone and Kindle all the time now, including a couple of Nina Kiriki Hoffman novels that had a huge effect on shaping my practice when I was a teenager. That's probably as close as I get to a "bible," though?

(Ender's Game is another book I keep on there for similar reasons but I would feel weird calling it a bible, frex.)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 01:40:34 pm »
Quote from: Altair;114129
There's nothing I clutch to my heart as a bible equivalent (which may be why I just finished writing my own).

Yeah, I remember reading about that in another thread. You said you're going to publish it, right? If so, I look forward to reading it.
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 01:48:36 pm »
Quote from: Jack;114174

(Ender's Game is another book I keep on there for similar reasons but I would feel weird calling it a bible, frex.)

Lol, I see the dissonance in calling that book a Bible. I love it, too, and I liked Speaker, as well. But while we still have a copy of those two floating around, I didn't read the rest of his books once I found out how flamingly homophobic he is. The books I did read are awesome, I just didn't want to give him any more money.

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 01:52:19 pm »
Quote from: Nekomata;114145
For sure the digital books have made this way easier. I always hated choosing books because what if I finished them?

I feel the same way. The only problems I run into are 1. I can't read off of a screen for too long, and I already do it a lot for work -- so may electronic reading is limited. 2. I had a computer crash after I'd downloaded some books and lost my electronic copies of some books, and now I find myself missing them, but haven't been able to replace them yet.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 02:03:31 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;114226
Lol, I see the dissonance in calling that book a Bible. I love it, too, and I liked Speaker, as well. But while we still have a copy of those two floating around, I didn't read the rest of his books once I found out how flamingly homophobic he is. The books I did read are awesome, I just didn't want to give him any more money.

Yeah, I read Ender's Game before I had internet access. XD

I actually read probably everything he published before I was 18 and liked it, but I have a hard time going back to a lot of it now.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 02:06:16 pm »
Quote from: Leanan Sidhe;114227
I feel the same way. The only problems I run into are 1. I can't read off of a screen for too long, and I already do it a lot for work -- so may electronic reading is limited. 2. I had a computer crash after I'd downloaded some books and lost my electronic copies of some books, and now I find myself missing them, but haven't been able to replace them yet.

If you haven't, you may want to take a look at the e-ink readers. I'm headache prone but they don't work like screens so for me they're great.

Most of the time, you should be able to re-download ebooks you bought from the place where you bought them. I know some ebook stores have closed though.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 02:23:59 pm »

I'm not sure about "Bible equivalents" as the Bible/Koran/etc are very specific things to the followers of those religions.  But, like you, I have books that I always want to have on hand, or at least readily accessible:

- Illusions is definitely one of them.
- Steppenwulf by Hermann Hesse
- The Illiad, The Odyssey, Hesiod... I've got a fabulous collection of Greek mythological writing on my Kindle.
- Collected work of Byron
- LOTR trilogy

I feel like I'm leaving something out...  I'm sure it will come to me later.

I like your list.  Now thinking of adding Leaves of Grass to my must-haves.  And Ender's Game is probably the best SF I've read, though I don't take any spiritual lessons from it
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 02:30:16 pm »
Quote from: Jack;114231
If you haven't, you may want to take a look at the e-ink readers. I'm headache prone but they don't work like screens so for me they're great.

This.

I have a lot of trouble screen-reading, too, thanks to migraines.  But I've discovered that the screens on newer devices -- like the phone I bought just a couple of months ago -- don't bother me nearly as much as older screens, like my laptop.  The technology has really come a long way.

Also, I do a lot of reading on the (free) Kindle app on my phone now, which allows the user to change the appearance in many ways.  I have mine set on a sepia background (so it's not as glaring), with large font, lots of space between the lines, and lower screen brightness.  All of that helps tremendously.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Nekomata

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 12:29:31 am »
Quote from: Jack;114231

Most of the time, you should be able to re-download ebooks you bought from the place where you bought them. I know some ebook stores have closed though.

Defiantly look at the e-ink.  The newer screens help, but the lack of  back light helps tremendously. Means you can't read in the dark of course, but I just got a little flexible clip light.  And I've lost a couple books to corruption, the re-downloading is an option, might try dedicating a SD card or jump drive to book files as a backup...
"It starts with reading books through your butt, then it goes to speaking through your butt, then your head gets stuck up your butt and then help is needed to pull it out"- Neteruhemta

"Ah, quiet insular communities. There\'s always something nasty going on behind closed doors. I hope it involves chains. I hope they ask me to join in."- Zevran Arainai

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:18 am »
Quote from: Nekomata;114257
Defiantly look at the e-ink.  The newer screens help, but the lack of  back light helps tremendously. Means you can't read in the dark of course, but I just got a little flexible clip light.  And I've lost a couple books to corruption, the re-downloading is an option, might try dedicating a SD card or jump drive to book files as a backup...

I actually use a cloud sync service - my Calibre library backs up automatically to SkyDrive, but you could use Box or Dropbox for similar results.

Tags: