collapse

Author Topic: How Do You Keep Your Records?  (Read 7357 times)

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
How Do You Keep Your Records?
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:19:36 pm »
Just a question, how do you keep your records? How do you refer to it (Grimoire, BoS, etc.)?

Do you use binders, folders, notebooks, custom-made books, etc.? Do you write it by hand or use computers?

How long have you been working on this? Do you have more than one?

Does it have any organization?

How much would you say you have invested in it? What is contained within it?

Do you (or would you) let another copy it/use it?

I use an old fashioned three-ring binder with college-ruled, loose-leaf paper and sometimes printed materials. I call it a Grimoire (as that's what I was taught to call it). I do have organization, but I'm trying to separate things and begin using more than one three-ring binder, one for wortcunning, one for spells/rituals, one for meditations/dreams/visions, one for divinations, and one for Deity/Spirit workings/info.

I've not been working at it long but I've had it in mind for a while. Also, I do try to write it by hand and then sometimes I will print something out to make it look nicer.

I would not let someone copy or use it. I would give them the information they need and then go from there, but I would never let it pass into another's hands.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Keep Your Records?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:35:10 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;9327
Just a question, how do you keep your records? How do you refer to it (Grimoire, BoS, etc.)? ..

Today I just keep it all on computer with various back-up copies of it.

Never have called it a BOS, even when I did have the hand-copied files and various books, journals and folders.  Unfortunately, after 23 years of Naval service with its many moves I lost all of those items over time through loss, destruction and plain wear and tear.

Formatting is through folders and topics.

While I have never copied the entire thing for anyone I have given copies of specific folders and its contents or items of interest to others.

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:10:16 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;9334
Today I just keep it all on computer with various back-up copies of it.

Never have called it a BOS, even when I did have the hand-copied files and various books, journals and folders.  Unfortunately, after 23 years of Naval service with its many moves I lost all of those items over time through loss, destruction and plain wear and tear.

Formatting is through folders and topics.

While I have never copied the entire thing for anyone I have given copies of specific folders and its contents or items of interest to others.

Okay, I just made an "ass" out of "u" and "me". Get it? I assumed that you kept a hard written copy just by the words you've spoken to me. But then it hit that there's no way you could've typed that fast when you sent me all those articles. LOL!

Hey, the blessings of technology, huh?

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:52:42 pm »
Just a question, how do you keep your records? How do you refer to it (Grimoire, BoS, etc.)?

Do you use binders, folders, notebooks, custom-made books, etc.? Do you write it by hand or use computers?

Right now, all my religion related musing are in a text file on my computer (which is, sadly, not much).  I think the file in question is boringly named something like "religion". :P  Relevant websites are buried in my Firefox bookmarks.  Probably, I should save the website contents to my computer, or otherwise copy-paste them into text files saved on my harddrive, so that if said relevant websites go down, I don't lose access to the information.  I haven't done that yet, though.  

Except for drawings and/or diagrams, everything is going to be on my computer.  If I tried to make myself handwrite everything, I'd never get anything written.  Typing is much easier and faster than writing for me, and I do all my reading on the computer anyway, that it only makes sense to take notes in the same fashion.  Besides, the program I use to read with lets me insert notes into the same file, which I can output as its own document when I'm done taking said notes.

One of the things that helps me puzzle out what I believe, and what I want my practice to be is by writing stuff down, so I expect I'll amass quite a bit of written stuff eventually, but I've really only just started exploring witchcraft/Paganism, so I don't have much written, nor much time invested, yet.

Would I show it to anyone else?  That depends on who it is.  My boyfriend and I are so close that I'll probably end up showing all my religious musings to him anyway, but anyone else, I'd be inclined to show them only what is relevant to them.  Like, if they asked me about Tarot cards, I might show them what I'd written about them, but wouldn't share anything about rituals, for example.  More than that, I like sharing complete ideas, rather like giving someone an essay on the topic, instead of the notes used to write the essay.  And most of my writing will be in disorganised note form rather than polished essay form, not stuff I'd be inclined to let most other people read.

No name, as yet.  I feel a bit silly calling a computer file a Grimoire, or a Book of Shadows, seeing as it's not in book form.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 10:02:28 pm »
Quote from: Katefox;9347
Right now, all my religion related musing are in a text file on my computer (which is, sadly, not much).  I think the file in question is boringly named something like "religion". :P  Relevant websites are buried in my Firefox bookmarks.  Probably, I should save the website contents to my computer, or otherwise copy-paste them into text files saved on my harddrive, so that if said relevant websites go down, I don't lose access to the information.  I haven't done that yet, though.  ..

There were a number of sites that I wish I had kept the links for so I could go to the wayback site and try to recover those items.  Unfortunately when Geocities and those other sites went down it took a lot of with it that has never come back.

Heck I wish now I had saved copies of exchanges I had on message boards that are no longer available.  I have fragments of some of them but between harddrive failures and sites going down so much more was lost.

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:05:37 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;9350
There were a number of sites that I wish I had kept the links for so I could go to the wayback site and try to recover those items.  Unfortunately when Geocities and those other sites went down it took a lot of with it that has never come back.

Heck I wish now I had saved copies of exchanges I had on message boards that are no longer available.  I have fragments of some of them but between harddrive failures and sites going down so much more was lost.

And . . . the downfalls of technology.

It sucks when you put so much effort into the things which you hold dear just to find them gone.

*Insert mental notes to self about perservation of materials.*

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:19:17 pm »
Quote from: CozyWitch;9352
And . . . the downfalls of technology.

It sucks when you put so much effort into the things which you hold dear just to find them gone.

*Insert mental notes to self about perservation of materials.*

Ah now you also have to consider the advances of technology.  I think I still have a few tapes, floppies and such where I recorded all my thoughs and stuff.  The bad part is those are from when I had an TRS-80, Atari 800 or Commadore 64 back in the day.  Just nothing around today to read the formatting or even to see if the content is still there.

CozyWitch

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:30:35 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;9356
Ah now you also have to consider the advances of technology.  I think I still have a few tapes, floppies and such where I recorded all my thoughs and stuff.  The bad part is those are from when I had an TRS-80, Atari 800 or Commadore 64 back in the day.  Just nothing around today to read the formatting or even to see if the content is still there.

True. I guess for me I would still rather have the hard copies and those who inherit them I will request that they rewrite it just in case something were to happen to my copy.

Auress

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:41:16 am »

I use an old fashioned three-ring binder with college-ruled, loose-leaf paper and sometimes printed materials. I call it a Grimoire (as that's what I was taught to call it). I do have organization, but I'm trying to separate things and begin using more than one three-ring binder, one for wortcunning, one for spells/rituals, one for meditations/dreams/visions, one for divinations, and one for Deity/Spirit workings/info.

I've not been working at it long but I've had it in mind for a while. Also, I do try to write it by hand and then sometimes I will print something out to make it look nicer.

I would not let someone copy or use it. I would give them the information they need and then go from there, but I would never let it pass into another's hands.

I have a binder that I "want" to have as my Grimoire. However, I just can't ever see myself doing that. My handwriting is atrocious and I'm far too lazy to buckle down and write. The only thing that binder has in it are recipes. And, I might keep doing that part of it. Other than that, I make things up on the fly and never write anything down.

This might change, seeing as I'm now going to try and practice Kemetic worship, we'll have to see. I still see myself making things up off the top of my head and never writing anything down, though. Lazy. that's me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:41:59 am by Auress »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 07:36:03 am »

I have a blog and a book I'm trying to get published.  It's ALL in there.  If I wrote it down, it's findable (in edited form, 'cause I gots pride!)

I flat-out want people to take what they can from my work - hoarding it would be completely against FlameKeeping.

arkeiryn

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 04:05:35 pm »

I have an A5 binder that will become my... whatever... when I actually find enough things to put in it. Currently it only has one actual page in it, that needs re-writing to look nicer ;) It also has dividers, but currently, because I don't know exactly what's going in there, they aren't labelled :P
"That which yields is not always weak."

"Yes my lord, but questions are dangerous, for they have answers"

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
How Do You Keep Your Records?
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:38:06 pm »

So far I have several notebooks which I just call journals. I have one for general religious / spritual musings, one for meditation, one for dreams that seem significant, one to record spell work, one for correspondences of herbs, stones etc and one for divination. And, yes, I am a bit compulsive lol.

I've just joined ADF and will be starting the Dedicant Path. I can't decide whether to start another journal or go all high-tech and start a blog for that. The thing is I've never used a blog before so I'm not really sure what I'm doing with that so I might just stick with my hand written journal.

Absolutely. If anything I've written would be useful to anyone they would be welcome to it. Knowledge should be shared

Shadow

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »

When I decided, back in 2009, that I was no longer Pagan (I had become very disillusioned) I threw away all of the notes/quotes/pages I had collected over about 10 years and I am honestly kicking myself for it now. I feel that I am starting again, which is not a bad thing really, and have decided to begin I will just keep one notebook which is really a diary of thoughts, interesting notes and the like. I am currently trying to work out who I am, what I believe and where my path is heading and I think having a space to write through my thoughts is really helping me with this.

Jubes

• Staff
  • Location: Overlooking the bottom of a lake and the beginning of a river....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 04:21:26 pm »

Right now strew all over  my  desk amidst the  piles  of  paperwork and drawing  of  airplanes. I lovingly refer to it as  " that mess I gotta clean up one of these  days"

Binders, folders,notebooks and  piles!!

For a  few  years now and  I'm sure I will have  more than one when I am  done  organizing it all

Yup I can  organize  the  crap outta anything, it's  the minions I live with that mess it all up!

Sure I'd let  people  read  and  use anything they  find  useful.
Armed with  common sense and worldly ways.......

Morag

• Senior Staff
  • cranky witch mom
    • View Profile
    • Priestess of the 3
  • Religion: Priestess of the 3
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 12:39:12 am »
How do you refer to it (Grimoire, BoS, etc.)?

I call it a Grimmerie.

I use this:

It has a 3-ring binder inside, so I can easily add and remove things.

I both write by hand and use computers, depending on what I'm putting in.

My old one is another 3-ring binder that's pretty much full. This new one has almost nothing in it because I haven't really been doing, well, anything in the past little while. I'm also terrible at remembering to record what I do.

Ha ha ha.

I try, but I fail pretty hardcore.

Eh, not much. My old one has a whole bunch of correspondence tables.

Yeah. All my private stuff is contained within my journal, so if someone wants to copy or use my Grimmerie they're free to. At this point; that may change.
Pray drunk. Hex sober.
Priestess of the 3
"The most powerful god at any given moment is the one who can solve the moment's problem."
-Darkhawk

Tags: