+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Grand Master Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree Friends1 year registeredYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack has much to be proud of Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Virtual Adept, Fictional Reconstructionist, Heathen, Buddhist, Flamekeeper and Planeswalker
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

A Neo-Pagan Pantheon? (or, Odin, Hecate and the Morrigan walk into a ritual...)

Has anybody else had a chance to read this interview with Gavin Bone? I found it via the Wild Hunt this morning.

We are forming a Neo-Pagan pantheon. We only have a finite amount of energy to give the gods as spirits as they wake up. You see the same gods and goddess coming up all the time in our community. Hecate, Brid, Isis, Morrigan, Freja, Odin, Diana etc. Because there is only this finite amount of energy for them, they are congregating and forming a new pantheon. All awakened gods from different cultures forming a pantheon, and redefining roles.
    I find this conceptually a really interesting idea, but I can't help feeling like trying to put all of those deities in a single pantheon is... well, it'd make for a hell of a dinner party.

That I would watch from over here, behind lead shields.

Joking aside, there's a lot of interesting bits to chew on in the interview. I do feel like the energy we give to the gods is important - if I didn't, I wouldn't need to put so much effort into my relationship with Mara - and I feel like there's a give-and-take there without necessarily being able to express it in words.

I'm not sure where the idea of a "Neo-Pagan Pantheon" like this would end up, especially as those gods would still be interacting inside their own pantheons as well. Surely Asatru/heathenry is widespread enough to generate the energy to support their own gods?

I mostly just wanted to see what other people thought of Bone's comments, so I figured I'd pin this here.

Senior Master Member
    Achievements:
    Three Friends1000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class1 year registered
    FierFlye will become famous soon enough FierFlye's Avatar
    Last Online
    14 Apr 2014 @ 11:19 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    FlameKeeping

Re: A Neo-Pagan Pantheon? (or, Odin, Hecate and the Morrigan walk into a ritual...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Has anybody else had a chance to read this interview with Gavin Bone? I found it via the Wild Hunt this morning.
    I dunno, seems to me there are plenty of people who are devoted to an entire pantheon. Or at least, do the appropriate rituals and sacrifices required for their selected pantheon.
    "When nothing is sure, everything is possible." -Margaret Drabble

Read my ramblings at: And Through the Wood

Staff Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupTagger Second Class1 year registered
    Mumu Champion Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk has much to be proud of Darkhawk's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Kemetic; Feri; UU; Discordian; CoX; An American Werewolf In The Akhet; Ab Khem mystic; Etc.

Re: A Neo-Pagan Pantheon? (or, Odin, Hecate and the Morrigan walk into a ritual...)

I find this conceptually a really interesting idea, but I can't help feeling like trying to put all of those deities in a single pantheon is... well, it'd make for a hell of a dinner party.

Um, yeah.

Aside from the kind of terrifying guest list, that's not a functional setup as far as I can see.

I mean, one of the valuable points of dealing with a pantheonic group as a pantheonic group is that that covers all the jobs, more or less. Which means that even if you're not dealing with the god of such-and-such on a personal level, you're dealing with their cousin, their foster-sibling, their some form of established relationship.

When most of what you've got are (to approximate) gods of magic and power, well, yeah, magic and power will take you a long fucking way, but that's not a well-founded system that will cover an entire society, and it's not a pantheonic structure that will address people getting fed, let alone other things that people might be concerned with.

And in your worst case, you'll just get the people who are only interested in magic and power, and not in much of anything else, even when the 'anything else' falls into the purview of some of the gods in this so-called pantheon.
    as the water grinds the stone
    we rise and fall
    as our ashes turn to dust
    we shine like stars - Covenant, "Bullet"

Master Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registeredThree Friends
    Carnelian is on a distinguished road Carnelian's Avatar
    Last Online
    23 Mar 2014 @ 11:17 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    N/A

I mostly just wanted to see what other people thought of Bone's comments, so I figured I'd pin this here.
    It's an interesting idea, but I don't really see things the same way. I don't think certain gods are "waking up" now that people have begun to worship them again, but you never know. I personally think that the gods are personifications of the natural powers of the universe, which have always been functioning, whether or not silly humans acknowledge them. I also think that the popularity of certain deities is like the popularity of anything else in that it has more to do with which ones people of influence in the community talk/write about, sparking an interest in others.

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Altair is a jewel in the rough Altair is a jewel in the rough Altair is a jewel in the rough Altair is a jewel in the rough Altair's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Wiccan-ish pantheistic polytheist neopagan

Without yet having had a chance to read the actual comments,* I shy away from this idea, for the reasons everyone else has already laid out. To amplify what Darkhawk said, the gods exist in relation to the others in their pantheon. They need to be understood in context, and most importantly, understood through their myths (which almost invariably involve other gods from their pantheon). The stories are what define them.

Otherwise, it's kind of like the Imagination Land trilogy in South Park, where there's some giant table with Jesus and Aslan and Luke Skywalker all sitting around. Without context, it's goofiness.

*I reserve the right to revise any of these remarks once I've had a chance to read the actual comments!

Check out my brand new Blog of Mythic Proportions for a contemporary take on myth and mythmaking

Journeyman Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    RoselynLibera is on a distinguished road RoselynLibera's Avatar
    Last Online
    8 Apr 2014 @ 07:37 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Eclectic Wicca, studying Taoism

I can see a coven of eclectics doing this but I don't see it having impact on the community as a whole.

Senior Apprentice Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class3 months registered500 Experience Points
    Nightwind is on a distinguished road Nightwind's Avatar
    Last Online
    17 Mar 2014 @ 06:57 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Neopagan Druid

Quote Originally Posted by RoselynLibera View Post
    I can see a coven of eclectics doing this but I don't see it having impact on the community as a whole.
    Same here, most of the people I know work in a particular pantheon. I also as someone else said do not see the Gods as recently 'waking up'. They didn't go to sleep just because they weren't actively being worshipped by a lot of humans. In the celtic pantheon they have lives and family and friends and enemies of their own and have been doing things long before they started being worshipped and I figure they've been occupying themselves just find in the hollow hills without us

Apprentice Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points
    Ravaris is on a distinguished road Ravaris's Avatar
    Last Online
    24 Aug 2013 @ 12:40 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Christianity

Joking aside, there's a lot of interesting bits to chew on in the interview. I do feel like the energy we give to the gods is important - if I didn't, I wouldn't need to put so much effort into my relationship with Mara - and I feel like there's a give-and-take there without necessarily being able to express it in words.

I'm not sure where the idea of a "Neo-Pagan Pantheon" like this would end up, especially as those gods would still be interacting inside their own pantheons as well. Surely Asatru/heathenry is widespread enough to generate the energy to support their own gods?

Do Pagan god's really need people to worship them in order to function? I find this idea so odd.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Leanan Sidhe is on a distinguished road Leanan Sidhe's Avatar
    Last Online
    7 Jul 2013 @ 09:21 PM
    Country
    USA
    Coastal New Jersey at the moment, in my head often, and with Gaia always.
    Religion
    Spiritual Soup

I work mostly with one pantheon, though I have a deity each from two others and I've worked with those from a few more.

I don't agree with the whole "awakening" bit. That really strikes me as a whimsical line of thought.
    "Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
    "The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Senior Master Member Achievements:
    Created Album picturesThree Friends1000 Experience PointsYour first Group1 year registered
    Archery 2000 Champion Cryfder is on a distinguished road Cryfder's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:22 PM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Celtic-Saxon Pagan
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by Leanan Sidhe View Post
    I work mostly with one pantheon, though I have a deity each from two others and I've worked with those from a few more.

I don't agree with the whole "awakening" bit. That really strikes me as a whimsical line of thought.
    My deities come from a Brythonic pantheon and trying to incorporate them into another would to me be disrespectful!
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast