collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Being Pagan and Dating  (Read 6198 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Being Pagan and Dating
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:19:29 pm »
I'm curious about those who have made relationships work while practicing a small minority religion that the general public thinks is strange and doesn't take very seriously. I don't have much experience with this myself, though the person I dated the longest practiced neo-Wicca with some friends in high school, followed Egyptian gods, but by the time I knew him, he had gone back to his birth religion of Hinduism, so my devotion to ancient deities wasn't really an issue. I haven't really had serious relationships since then, but I don't usually bring my religious practices up on casual dates, especially since many of the educated young people these days that I come in contact with don't really care about religion in general, and think it's kind of outdated. If they think even Christianity is outdated, my devotion to Egyptian and Greek deities would probably seem a little cuckoo to regular people. I don't really even tell my friends f they are not familiar with paganism already. Some of them know I have weird religious interests, and don't really know what being "pagan" really means.

Has being pagan affected your romantic and social life? And do you try to stay within your own religious community, or do you involve yourself with all kinds of people? It seems like a lot of pagans meet each other online, and get together, even if they live a long distance from each other. I'm not sure if I would be into that, personally, as I don't really care about significant others with the same religion as long as we had compatible values. I always say I would rather marry for money and security rather than some elusive emotional "connection," but that doesn't make me very popular :p

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Being Pagan and Dating
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:33:51 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;111929
I'm curious about those who have made relationships work while practicing a small minority religion that the general public thinks is strange and doesn't take very seriously.

I met my girlfriend when I was already a practicing Pagan, although not Hellenistic. My focus then was on the God and Goddess, in combination with the Hellenic pantheon. My girlfriend is and atheist; when I told her (very early on in our dating) she basically told me that if it makes me happy, she was alright with it. As I grew to be more active and religious in my practice over the years (we've been together eight and a half years now), it has caused some tension. Especially my transition into Hellenismos was hard for her to deal with because I went from eight festivals a year I planned when she was not there to a twice-daily practice I could no longer plan around her schedule.

She still does not understand my religion, and has a hard time grasping how someone intelligent can sacrifice and pray at least twice a day to what she considers air, but she sees how happy it makes me, and how my religion has shaped my personality--a personality she loves. This allowes her to put aside her scepticism, while I try not to push my religion upon her. It's one of those things we will never agree on, but because we love each other, we make it work.

I think it's also important to not that it would not have made a difference if I was a follower of a better known religion.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:37:39 pm by Elani Temperance »
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Being Pagan and Dating
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:19:01 pm »
I'm curious about those who have made relationships work while practicing a small minority religion that the general public thinks is strange and doesn't take very seriously. I don't have much experience with this myself, though the person I dated the longest practiced neo-Wicca with some friends in high school, followed Egyptian gods, but by the time I knew him, he had gone back to his birth religion of Hinduism, so my devotion to ancient deities wasn't really an issue. I haven't really had serious relationships since then, but I don't usually bring my religious practices up on casual dates, especially since many of the educated young people these days that I come in contact with don't really care about religion in general, and think it's kind of outdated. If they think even Christianity is outdated, my devotion to Egyptian and Greek deities would probably seem a little cuckoo to regular people. I don't really even tell my friends f they are not familiar with paganism already. Some of them know I have weird religious interests, and don't really know what being "pagan" really means.

Has being pagan affected your romantic and social life? And do you try to stay within your own religious community, or do you involve yourself with all kinds of people? It seems like a lot of pagans meet each other online, and get together, even if they live a long distance from each other. I'm not sure if I would be into that, personally, as I don't really care about significant others with the same religion as long as we had compatible values. I always say I would rather marry for money and security rather than some elusive emotional "connection," but that doesn't make me very popular :p

I was already a practicing pagan of several years when I met my partner. :)
When we first met (at a party) the issue of religion came up in conversation and I mentioned I was a pagan (I practiced a form of sort-of neo-Wicca at that point).
He was very nice about it and told me that he was an atheist.
Around the time we began dating I grew suspicious he wasn't being entirely honest with me ;) And during a conversation when I was explaining what I do he confided in me that he wasn't really an atheist but believed in the Greek gods but had never really met anyone before who would understand him. He now considers himself somewhat of a 'Hellenic Polytheist', he doesn't really have a physical practice, he mainly prays to them.
He is fully supportive of my beliefs, he even bought several bits and pieces for my altar :)

I've always thought it was funny that we met without realizing that we were so similar in religious beliefs XD That's hard to do I think XD
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 03:20:50 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:10 pm »

I'm very open about my religion with the people I know (except in my job, I don't think it's a good idea).

I met my husband through internet, but he's Christian. We were in an online forum (about anime/manga and that kind of stuff... that ended up being about pretty much everything else) and he posted a thread about mythology. I said something about the Norse gods being my gods. Some time after that, he left the forum, and we met again in facebook years later. He then remembered what I had said and started asking me questions, that I answered as best I could. A few months later we met in person and since then we're together.

Religion is not something I bring up any and every time I meet somebody, but when I think I may have a long and intimate relationship with someone, I don't hide it. Also, if it comes up in a conversation, I don't hide it either (unless I'm at work, as I have already said). Sometimes I don't say "I'm pagan", but I speak about my beliefs in a way that doesn't sound like I'm delusional and that I think should make sense to people outside of paganism.

(What I don't know is if this post makes any sense... I'm tired...)
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Fagan_the_Pagan

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:26:41 pm »

I have been with my girlfriend for about 5 years now, and I have been "actively" pagan for about 7 1/2.  The girlfriend is Pagan too, and we are both pretty eclectic in our approach.  There is a lot of Wiccan influence, but we each have our own paths, and goddesses who have claimed us.  

We mostly confine our "religious" lives to each other, where we are most comfortable, and can be assured that no one will be judged or put down.  We have some other pagans who we talk to on occasion, and from time to time have circle with, but they are a little intense about their way of doing things, so we have to take them in small doses.  

We don't get out and see a whole lot of other people, but when we do, MOST of them are not "our religious community" (as if she and I have one here).
(/|\\)  Fire in the Head: My Blog on Matters Spiritual, Political, or otherwise important to me.
Bardistry Wandworks: My Etsy shop for wands, athames, and other pagan crafts.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 07:39:06 pm »
I'm curious about those who have made relationships work while practicing a small minority religion that the general public thinks is strange and doesn't take very seriously.

(snip)

I met my (now) husband on a video game when I was living in EU. He is agnostic, and didn't really care to look any closer at it. I told him within the first few weeks of us chatting what I believed in, and what I didn't, and he didn't scrutinize me (which is why we kept chatting long enough to build a relationship). He accepts me as I am, and accepts what I believe in (especially since he now believes in the Fae since they stole probably 4 packs of his cigs). There have also been other incidents that have made him trust that the things I say aren't my imagination, but that's for a UPG thread really.

Beliefs aside, we are both into (mostly) the same music genres, types of movies, types of games, books, moral/ethic codes, priorities, and food. We rarely talk about my beliefs because.. I'm not mentoring him, he has no interest in learning to practice, and we have more important things to talk about when we do chat (how work/school is going, making plans to move out, making plans to go to the movies, whatever). Living and ensuring we can live comfortably and happily in the future is more important than trying to force-feed him my beliefs.

So... it really hasn't ever affected my romantic life... in any way whatsoever.

As far as community goes, I socialize with everyone. Christian, Muslim, Hindu, all forms of pagan, agnostic, atheist, whatever. The religion doesn't matter to me, the individual does. As long as I can respect them, and they can respect me, and we share interests and morals, I am perfectly happy mingling. I have only once ever gone to a "pagan meet-up" and that was paganomicon (yeah I probably butchered that) a few months back with Ryeshadow, Veggie and a bunch of other neat people. ^^ But it's not something I find the need to do really unless on the sole basis of religion.

If you really want to get into the fiddly details of it, I have never met another person who follows the exact same pantheon/practices/beliefs I do. It really doesn't bother me, I don't really get lonely, and my closest friends are simply non-religious anyway.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 07:47:21 pm »

It has in so much that it's effected the "type" of men who approach me. I'm really not trying to be "that chick" especially since I tend to meet dudes in the BDSM or Polyamory community and probably 75% of them are bums or emotionally sloppy. There's this assumption that, because I'm pagan, I have no ambition and bask in some state of perpetual victimhood. Then I get the "sensitive new age" guys  and I can't handle that shit because, as a black woman in corporate America and elsewhere, I've learned to swallow my feelings and I don't appreciate having someone else's leaked all over me all willy nilly.

It makes dating some pagan men difficult because I sometimes feel like I have bigger balls than some of them do.

So far it seems I normally "work well" with Jewish or Muslim wo/men or the occasional Agnostic who's just like "Whatever, are you taking your clothes off or what?" and I'm fine with that. My husband is a Russian/polish Jew and my potential lover/secondary is Agnostic.

I enjoy religion. All religions. I think they each have aspects of beauty so I'm kind of adaptable. Easily entranced and in awe. Sometimes one religion's taboos can be a huge turn-on so that's a plus, but I can't say that my own religion has cost me quality men/women or hampered my dating; if anything it tends to be an after thought.
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:22:23 pm »
I

I didn't make it work? At the end of my marriage, my ex-husband admitted that all the religion stuff went in one ear and out the other. (Despite my being *very* careful to do my utmost to discuss each step with him as I made further commitments, etc. I would have doubted I had, except that I also did a bunch of them in writing. To which he replied.)

Which was, as it turned out, mostly okay while I was a dedicant and new initiate in my tradition, but got a lot more problematic when I had more commitments, and when he didn't want to be inconvenienced.

I've been single since 2005, when we separated and then divorced, and part of what's kept me from seriously looking for a new relationship is that issue: I *am* a priestess, and that *does* come with some commitments (even if they're relatively minor, in terms of impact on other people)

Plus, there's also some things (my standard household warding, which includes - after the ex-husband a "If you are breaking negotiated relationship commitments, you do not get to be comfortable in this space." clause) that I'd be unwilling to give up, and I am unwilling to entangle my ethics and my integrity and my life with someone who doesn't get that intention and action matter.

At this point, though, while I would very much like a partner who can be a magical partner as well as a romantic one, I care even more about "takes my religious life seriously, whether or not they share it, and supports me in it."
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Katefox

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:33:22 pm »

When I started dating my boyfriend, I was still pretty Christian (man, so much as changed for me religiously in the last five years).  He's an atheist, but sometimes we'd have conversations about religions, including my own.  And also we pretty much share everything with each other.  So it was only natural that as I became less Christian, and then more Pagan, that I told him about it.  Sometimes it can be a little frustrating, where I know there's a gap between our experiences, where I believe, and he does not, but on the other hand, his non-belief also helps keep me grounded (he acts as my reality check).  Regardless of our religious differences, our ethics and morals line up pretty well, and we're each content to let the other believe (or not believe) as they see fit, so it's never been a real issue.  (I can see how having the same religion as my partner might make some things easier, especially in regards to raising children (i.e. deciding what religious upbringing to give them), but I do think it's more important to have matching morals/ethics than it is to have the same religion per se (along with the other good relationship stuff like trust and communication).)

Socially, like with friends and acquaintances, it's really a non-issue.  Most of the time, religion is not a topic of discussion, so I just don't mention anything about my own.  My good friends know I'm a Pagan, but other than being an interesting discussion point sometimes, they're fairly indifferent to my religious beliefs.  I had a chance to interact some with some local Pagans, and I have to say, for discussing Pagan-related things (e.g. energy work, or magic) it was nice to have people who I knew weren't going to react like I'd grown a second head if I talked about that sort of thing.  But otherwise social interaction was just the same as with non-Pagan people so except for sometimes wanting to discuss my religion with like-minded folk, there's no reason for me to seek out a specifically Pagan crowd (besides, my city seems to have loads of Druids, but no Kemetics, so I'm still rather on my lonesome).

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 03:37:03 pm »
Has being pagan affected your romantic and social life?

It's not like I have a basis for comparison.

People who have a problem spending time with pagans don't spend time with me, because they have a problem.  I don't notice them, because they're not spending time with me, and thus they fade into the six billion plus other people in the world who aren't spending time with me.

Most of my partners have not been pagan, though at this point in my life one of my husbands is.
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Leanan Sidhe

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »

Has being pagan affected your romantic and social life? And do you try to stay within your own religious community, or do you involve yourself with all kinds of people?

It hasn't affected it much, honestly. My first serious relationship was with someone who said they were Christian, but I think it was mostly for something to call themselves. My other serious relationships before the ones I'm in now were with a Christian/Buddhist (she grew up part in Taiwan and part in America) who became atheist, and with an eclectic pagan.

My first husband was Pentecaostal when we met, but didn't really love it -- it's just what he was raised as. He became an elcectic pagan shortly after we got together and wound up as a chaos mage devoted to Tiamat.

My second husband calls himself an eclectic spiritualist. He is dedicated to a death God he normally just calls "Death" or "Daddy". His primary influences are New Thought, New Age, Daoism, Buddhism, paganism, and a little LaVeyan Satanism. He was all ready pretty much set on his spiritual path before we met.

My boyfriend is formerly LDS, became agnostic, and now believes in a God, and prays. But most, if not all, of the Christian influence is gone from it for him.

I don't really seek out relationships (romantic or otherwise) with pagans, but nor do I avoid them. Most of my friends are atheists, a few are Christian, and a few are pagan. Almost none of them care about what anyone else's religious or spiritual path is, so long as they don't proselytize.

It's nice to be on a similar spiritual path to the other people in my relationships, and it's plenty helpful. But it's way more important to me to have shared values, morals, and ethics, than to have the same religious/spiritual path. And in that regard I've been really lucky.
"Modesty is an illusion" -- de Sade
"The call of death is a call of love. Death can be sweet if we answer it in the affirmative, if we accept it as one of the great eternal forms of life and transformation." -- Herman Hesse

Helvetica

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 11:33:36 pm »

My religion is definitely not something I dole out casually. How people usually find out is I have them over to my place, and they see my altar set up. However, even then most people ignore it, so it doesn't come up. When you add on top of that that I am fairly introverted, and I rarely enter into spiritual or religious discussions, not a lot of people know about my paganism.

It came up with the last guy I dated, who was a lapsed Muslim, when he asked why I had so much wine hanging around. I told him because I used it for prayer. He was very interested in my religious beliefs and practices, and thought it was really cool.

I don't engage a lot with the pagan community. I find that I don't fit in very well with a lot of pagan groups, and I haven't met someone who is pagan that has piqued my interest romantically. While I can never rule anything out, my bets are that if I do find a long-term partner, it will be a non-pagan who I get along with well.

I know a guy who is openly Heathen, even at work. I admire him for his openness and conviction, and it is people like him who are making it easier to be a pagan. However, for me, my spirituality and religion is very private for now, and I like the gods being tucked closely to my chest. Maybe one day I will be more open.

SerpentineSorcerer

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://abracadabra-macabre.tumblr.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 11:42:41 pm »
Has being pagan affected your romantic and social life? And do you try to stay within your own religious community, or do you involve yourself with all kinds of people?

Well for me it tends to do a couple things.

1.) It filters out a lot of folks my age. A number of women I've shown interest in in my age range tend to have a very strong worldview that sees religion as some hokey thing, or that Christianity is the religion for them that they'll take with a shred of seriousness. I'm a curiosity with my religious beliefs, the surface level beliefs I let folks know if the topic or religion or spirituality raises it's head to be a little more specific, and that tends not be the cup of tea of twenty-something ladyfolk

2.) ....this is something a friend of mine likes to joke about. No matter where I go, or who I end up meeting, I tend to draw out the fringe elements of a pagan circle. I blame this on the fact that as a Thelemite, on top of being a Greco-Egyptian syncretist, and a Luciferian I'm already on the fringe for being one of those "Crowley followers", amongst other things. Often this pans out hilariously, often the female fringers trying to flirt with me...til I poke a few holes in some of their beliefs. But nothing ever comes of those dalliances

Now that being said, the relationships I've had have been nothing too dramatic in regards to how they took my religion. My last partner, she was a neo-wiccan who got into hearth-witchery and enrolled in the ADF in order to get more in touch with her celtic heritage and the Irish gods. Granted a lot of her neo-wicca still shined through in some odd ways (in particular to how she seemed to treat the Fae and the Morrigan) but for the most part we got along fine. She was the first real relationship I had where my partner and I actually had a lot of common ground in our spiritual beliefs, which was very refreshing. As a scholar of religions, and being something of a decent and non-judgmental person I don't get hung up on religion with people. But like I said earlier, the nature of my religion often tends to see me labeled as a curiosity in a number of social circles and when I try to ask a women out or go to a meetup.
"Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal"

"Life is not separate from death. It only looks that way."

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:15 pm »

I have been (monogomously) married now for 14 years, so it's been a while since I was in the dating scene.  I have been on my path pretty much as long as I have been dating, so it was always a part of me.  I was lucky enough in highschool to be a part of a group that was about half drama folks and half table top rpg people...somehow we all got along fine.  It did mean they were pretty open to ideas.  I wasn't the only non-Christian in the group, and the first guy I dated was pretty into Taoism.

I think the biggest thing that made relationships (both friendly and romantic) easy in highschool was that we were all pretty easy going about our beliefs...not to say that we weren't devoted, just that we were okay with other people believing in different stuff.

I did date some people along the way that were not (I think) aware of my beliefs.  I was pretty open, but didn't go around advertizing really.  I wore a pentacle, but was pretty low key other than that.  My parents are nominally Christian, so at home things were kept pretty quiet.  They didn't really find out what I believed until college.

In college, I was able to spread my wings a bit.  In the dorm, the first semester I had a roommate, so I kept things more subtle to avoid making her uncomfortable.  Then she moved out and I didn't get a new roommate, so then my room became my sanctuary.  This was probably my most out time....blessing sign on the door and all.

In some ways I did seek out others of like mind.  I ended up seeing a guy from the local occult shop for a bit, and there were quite a few Pagans/occultists that went to a quasi-underground club I frequented.  

I actually met my husband there.  At the time I thought he was a LaVey satanist (though later found out that was just a thing he was doing at the time...he is a pretty hard core atheist now).

I always thought I would end up with another Pagan or Occultist of some flavor.  There are times where I kind of still wish I had.  But, even though he is confounded by some of the stuff I do, and sometimes looks at me like I've gone a little (or a lot) crazy), my husband supports me and really lets me be who I need to be.  I have an altar set up in the bedroom, stuff all over my desk in the living room, and very obviously Pagan and Occult books on every bookshelf (including those in the public areas of our house).  He has never asked me to hide who I am, to strangers or his family.  In that regard I consider myself very lucky.

As far as friends go, I don't consider myself to be only friends with other Pagans, though right now that is the case.  I'm a pretty reclusive person, so really only have a small number of 'in-person' friends.  The ones I get together with regularly are all Pagan right now (all three of them!).  

I get along really well with my husbands mother (well and father, but I spend way more time with his mother) who live in the same town.  I don't know if they know for sure, though they at least know I am into things like meditation and know about stuff like energy healing and herbs.  His mother self-identifies as Catholic.

We also go out pretty often with some of the people my husband works with.  Religion really has never come up (though given their thoughts on things like homosexuality and transgenderism, I would lay money on them being quite stereotypically country small-minded).  I have no problem going and hanging out and not talking about anything non-mainstream.

For me, it has always been about being able to express myself in aspects of my personality.  I don't so much think of it as hiding parts of myself but rather of letting different parts shine in different areas of my life.  I know what my friends and family are into, and can enjoy spending times with each of them in ways that we can all enjoy.  I keep the balance in my own life by making sure that the things that are important to me have ways of expressing themselves, even if it isn't all with the same people.
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

Louisvillian

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Syncretic religio romana/Hellenised Romano-British religion
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 02:53:05 pm »
I've been practising paganism for about five and a half years. I first got interested in it through a girl I was (at the time) courting; she mentioned a friend of hers was Wiccan, and it piqued my interest. During my senior year of high school, I gradually became a sort-of animist, pantheistic eclectic pagan. I wasn't quite polytheistic at that point yet. I had two relationships that year; the first lasted a few months and was with that girl I had been previously courting, the second was with a girl a few years younger than me. Both were atheists and were pretty much cool with my being pagan.

Now, remember that the girl that I was courting had mentioned her Wiccan friend, which piqued my interest in paganism? Well, during senior year, I met her and we became friends and talked about all kinds of stuff, including religion and politics. In the subsequent couple years while I was at community college, we had a long-term flirtationship; I admit, I fell in love with her. We kinda flitted around the idea of dating for two years before doing so when I transferred to UofL. Neither of us got over each other very easily and we periodically tried to get back together. We had an acrimonious falling out some time ago; though that was recently mended, and we're friends again.
Religion rarely came up as something we would both try to practise. Our relationship didn't really last long enough for that to come up, and we had an understanding that we both practised Solitary Wicca on our own. It did help in our understanding each other, though.

A couple years ago, I started dating my current girlfriend and fiancée. She was initially an ambivalent Christian who was losing her faith. She learned about my religious beliefs, asked about it, and wanted to get more into it. She apparently had done some spellwork before, dabbling in it, and had some prior interest in paganism. Before long, we were pretty actively practising Wicca together, and later found a group of friends that practised paganism as well (which, funny enough, includes the girl I dated in high school). She recently came out to her parents as a pagan.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 02:55:22 pm by Louisvillian »

Tags: