Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Kuan/Kwan/Quan Yin correspondences?  (Read 4906 times)

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pagan
Kuan/Kwan/Quan Yin correspondences?
« on: June 03, 2013, 04:27:08 pm »
I discovered Quan Yin about a year ago, during a meditation. Ironically, I was listening to some kind of meditation/ambient music (I don't remember who/what), and my iPod decided it wanted to play Alanis Morissette's "Citizen of the Planet." One of the lines of the chorus is "my president is Quan Yin." I didn't come out of my trance-ish thing until I heard that line, a full minute and a half or so into the song. Since then she's subtly been my patron throughout my daily life.

My question is, does anyone know what stones/plants/animals are sacred to Her? So far I've got lotus, sea turtle, and dragon. What else do you guys know that are sacred/related to Quan Yin?
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Kuan/Kwan/Quan Yin correspondences?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 05:11:05 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;110636

Since Kwan Yin has a living worship going on around her, how about reading something about how it's done?
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 05:15:29 pm »
I discovered Quan Yin about a year ago, during a meditation. Ironically, I was listening to some kind of meditation/ambient music (I don't remember who/what), and my iPod decided it wanted to play Alanis Morissette's "Citizen of the Planet." One of the lines of the chorus is "my president is Quan Yin." I didn't come out of my trance-ish thing until I heard that line, a full minute and a half or so into the song. Since then she's subtly been my patron throughout my daily life.

My question is, does anyone know what stones/plants/animals are sacred to Her? So far I've got lotus, sea turtle, and dragon. What else do you guys know that are sacred/related to Quan Yin?

Her cult is vast and varies quite a lot depending on where you are, so I would suggest you start by either asking Her what she'd like you to use or research some of the current practices surrounding her and seeing what appeals to you.

I'm curious why you want to know? Is it for altar purposes? Are you looking for something you can carry around? Knowing why you want to know might make it easier to make suggestions, too.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Kuan/Kwan/Quan Yin correspondences?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 05:49:10 pm »
Altar/shrine purposes, mostly. I've finally found the time, money, and room to set up a permanent shrine to Her. I was also thinking about getting 108 beads in whatever stone to make a rosary.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly."   ~ Morticia Addams

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;110642
Altar/shrine purposes, mostly. I've finally found the time, money, and room to set up a permanent shrine to Her. I was also thinking about getting 108 beads in whatever stone to make a rosary.

Technically, the prayer beads used for reciting mantras for Kuan Yin are usually referred to as a mala, not a rosary.

I have a statue of a feng huang on my altar for her, but that's more of a personal choice. I think you'd be better off starting with things that you associate with her. What are you going to use the altar for? If you're planning on meditation, you might want calmer colors. Traditionally red and gold are very popular, and I've incorporated some of that myself.
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 05:58:32 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;110642

A Reminder:

missgraceless,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 06:37:17 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;110645
A Reminder:

missgraceless,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Melamphoros, TC Board Staff

Sorry! I replied from Tapatalk and am still figuring out how to reply with quotes. I got it once, but can't remember now.

Quote from: Jack;110644
Technically, the prayer beads used for reciting mantras for Kuan Yin are usually referred to as a mala, not a rosary.

I have a statue of a feng huang on my altar for her, but that's more of a personal choice. I think you'd be better off starting with things that you associate with her. What are you going to use the altar for? If you're planning on meditation, you might want calmer colors. Traditionally red and gold are very popular, and I've incorporated some of that myself.

I knew there was a different name for the prayer beads, but didn't know what it was. Thanks for letting me know.

And it will most likely be for meditation and general daily... reflection, maybe. I don't know what to call it. For the summer I've got nothing to do during the day so I'll be spending a fair amount of time meditating and talking to Her, but once school starts up again I'll only have a few minutes in the mornings and evenings for any kind of devotion/reflection/meditation.

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 03:30:35 pm »

So, an update. (If anyone actually cares) I spoke to Quan Yin, and She bopped me with the memory of reading this:
Quote from: Jack;102349
She's... sometimes she's exactly what you would expect of a bodhisattva of compassion. Like Boggle the Owl, except a bodhisattva instead of an owl.

I fell in love with the concerned little owl. I never really thought of owls as being compassionate, but apparently Quan Yin likes Boggle, too. So I found and ordered a relatively small (about 3.5") crystal owl from Etsy. I'm kinda excited to get it.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 08:08:49 pm »
Quote from: missgraceless;110822
I fell in love with the concerned little owl. I never really thought of owls as being compassionate, but apparently Quan Yin likes Boggle, too. So I found and ordered a relatively small (about 3.5") crystal owl from Etsy. I'm kinda excited to get it.

I'm glad you found something that works for you!

There are many deities who are very specific in terms of what they are associated with, what animals they favor, and so on. And while there are plenty of traditional associations for Kuan Yin and I try to honor those, I also think she's the kind of deity who's more interested in making sure you find something that works for you. If that's an owl, if you can look at that owl and remember to be excellent to each other, then it's perfect.

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:30 am »

If you have not read them already, I highly recommend these books:

The Bodhisattva of Compassion by John Blofield

Discovering Kwan Yin by Sandy Boucher

Water is sacred to Her.  I think the willow is too.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

missgraceless

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 09:15:37 am »
Quote from: SatAset;110859
If you have not read them already, I highly recommend these books:

The Bodhisattva of Compassion by John Blofield

Discovering Kwan Yin by Sandy Boucher

Water is sacred to Her.  I think the willow is too.

Right now I'm reading The Kuan Yin Chronicles by Martin Palmer and Jay Ramsay, but when I'm done with that I'll check those books out.

I know water is. There's a little waterfall a few miles from my house called Sacred Well that I'm gonna collect some water from. I go there a lot in the summer to meditate. And with some of my friends to swim in the pool. :p

Tags: