collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: OBOD or ADF  (Read 16033 times)

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
OBOD or ADF
« on: June 03, 2013, 03:01:49 am »
I've been seriously looking into Druidry for the past few months as a possible way to further my spirtual development, however I'm not sure which direction to take. I've looked into the OBOD and ADF but walked away feeling even more confused and I'm struggling to choose which one would be better for me. Can anybody tell me the differences between the two?

I must say, I don't wish to have a heavy recon influenced path, which I've heard is encouraged within the ADF but I don't necessarily want a "Wiccanish" path either. I've also heard that the OBOD is very Celtic influenced and does not allow in different cultures. Is that true?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
OBOD or ADF
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 03:41:10 am »
Quote from: Geroth;110583
I've been seriously looking into Druidry for the past few months as a possible way to further my spirtual development, however I'm not sure which direction to take. I've looked into the OBOD and ADF but walked away feeling even more confused and I'm struggling to choose which one would be better for me. Can anybody tell me the differences between the two?

I must say, I don't wish to have a heavy recon influenced path, which I've heard is encouraged within the ADF but I don't necessarily want a "Wiccanish" path either. I've also heard that the OBOD is very Celtic influenced and does not allow in different cultures. Is that true?

OBOD has only been considered Wiccish since neo-Wicca got big. It can be argued that they were doing it first ;) Nichols, who set up OBOD as it's known today, was a friend of Gardner (and was largely responsible for the Wheel of the Year). I don't personally think it is Wiccish, though. There's no god/goddess cycle, and magic is not really a focus (although it's there to some extent). The natural world and myths associated with it are very central. They aren't particularly about scholarship, but about what 'works' - which has its pros and its frustrations.

I'm also a (relatively new) member of ADF, and I appreciate having the balance between the two. I don't find ADF particularly recon, although it does have a more scholarly focus than OBOD. It doesn't have enough of a nature focus for me, so I appreciate having the balance of the two.

There are other druidry options, though, which people tend to overlook. The Druid Network is a fantastic, fairly new network of independent groves and solitaries. It's becoming quite influential in the UK druidry and Pagan communities. Its website has a wealth of resources. You can find them at http://druidnetwork.org/ (sorry, on Tapatalk, links tricky). There's also the British Druid Network, which is a bit more grounded, earthy and polytheistic than OBOD. I'm rather a fan of them, and hope to do their courses at some point. They're at http://www.druidry.co.uk .

With both OBOD and BDO, the biggest problem is the cost of their courses. I believe the Druid Network is free to join, and ADF's only cost is the fairly inexpensive annual membership.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
OBOD or ADF
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 03:48:08 am »

Forgot to address your point about OBOD being Celtic. Yes and no. The focus of its courses is British and Welsh myths, including the story of Taliesin and Ceridwyn and the myth of King Arthur. It is very much not scholarly or recon about those myths, though - they are used as a sort of 'shape' for each course. So the Bardic grade has a lot of exercises using the Taliesin myth as a starting point. If you don't get along with those myths, you might find it frustrating.

But OBOD doesn't have 'hearth cultures' like ADF does. It doesn't expect its members to honour Celtic gods, or necessarily any gods at all - it leaves theology to each member, seeing it as a private thing. Its focus is general spirituality. To that extent, it's much more eclectic than Celtic. You can certainly be a practicing member of OBOD and also be, for example, a Hellenic polytheist.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 03:49:53 am by Naomi J »
- Doctor Who

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
Re: OBOD or ADF
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 03:58:45 am »
Can anybody tell me the differences between the two?

When I was looking at Druid groups, I gave OBOD a pass for two reasons:

1. Expense, relative to ADF.

2. I'm too crazy for them, according to their FAQ. If you have mental health issues at all, you may want to consider that.

Beyond that, I think ADF is a much better option if you're looking to get your toes wet and see how you like it; OBOD is a bigger commitment of money and time (ADF doesn't really expect you to finish in a year).

Normally I'd also recommend checking out the AODA but one of those As stands for America so... XD
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 04:39:40 am »

I'mma be lazy and second Sophia Catherine in All The Things.

I will say I find OBOD uhm hmm squishy? Not 'fluffy' by any means but it plays far far looser with history and sources than ADF. Sooo yeah. Honestly I'd suggest cruising the ADF public mailing lists and the public section of the OBOD forum to make a final decision assuming the cost of the OBOD 'course' doesn't bug yeah.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 04:45:00 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;110585
There's also the British Druid Network, which is a bit more grounded, earthy and polytheistic than OBOD.

Sorry - I meant the British Druid Order.
- Doctor Who

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:33 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;110585
With both OBOD and BDO, the biggest problem is the cost of their courses. I believe the Druid Network is free to join, and ADF's only cost is the fairly inexpensive annual membership.

Yes! The price is one of the big things I've noticed. Can I ask, how is the ADF's Dedicant Path different from OBOD's Bard course, or all the OBOD's courses in general?

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:48:27 am »
Quote from: Geroth;110600
Yes! The price is one of the big things I've noticed. Can I ask, how is the ADF's Dedicant Path different from OBOD's Bard course, or all the OBOD's courses in general?

Hmm. Well, basically, both the OBOD Bardic grade and the ADF Dedicant Path are sort of an introduction to how this order does things. So a lot of the OBOD path involves work with myths, journeying and the four classical elements, as well as establishing the basics of OBOD ritual structure. It's a good introduction to OBOD spirituality, and in fact to spirituality in general (I nearly said 'neo-Pagan spirituality' - but of course, there are Christian, Buddhist, atheist etc druids in OBOD, so they keep it very general). In the same way, ADF's DP is an introduction to ADF religion - to its Core Order of Ritual, its focus on scholarship, its concept of our relationship to the gods and spirits. They ask you to produce different things, too - OBOD asks for a written (or artistic) review of your experience with the course, while ADF asks for very specific output including book reviews, summaries of your seasonal rituals, etc.

For me, one of the main differences has been with how well-guided things are. OBOD has weekly 'lessons' in booklet and/or CD form, so it takes you through the course part by part. ADF is more like 'you must do this list of things, and you must do it in this minimum timescale', and then it leaves you to sort out your own timing for study and practice. But there are lots of supporting resources for ADF, from what I've seen so far, including the e-mail lists, Facebook groups, weekly IRC chats, mentors and 'buddies', and the groves - so that all helps with working through it. OBOD has forums, mentors and, of course, groves.

Just between you and me, OBOD is a lot more 'new agey' about things than ADF, which works better for some people than others. It *can* get too fluffy for me, but then everyone in my grove finds it that way, and we all tend to take the material with a pinch of salt. (There's no OBOD doctrine, really, so none of it is instruction from On High.) Joining groves or online forums can be a good way of getting at the core personality of a group like a druid order - I recommend it no matter which order you end up with. Unless you prefer totally solitary work, that is.
- Doctor Who

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 11:40:24 am »

While ADF as a whole has more of a recon flavor than all the other druid groups, there's a lot of wiggle room for individual beliefs, especially when undertaking the Dedicant Path (and especially if you're solitary).
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Enid

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
OBOD or ADF
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 02:19:16 pm »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;110602

For me, one of the main differences has been with how well-guided things are. OBOD has weekly 'lessons' in booklet and/or CD form, so it takes you through the course part by part. ADF is more like 'you must do this list of things, and you must do it in this minimum timescale', and then it leaves you to sort out your own timing for study and practice. But there are lots of supporting resources for ADF, from what I've seen so far, including the e-mail lists, Facebook groups, weekly IRC chats, mentors and 'buddies', and the groves - so that all helps with working through it. OBOD has forums, mentors and, of course, groves.

I am an ADF member and doing the DP. There is a very nice weekly guideline for the DP that you can use if you like.
Crazy, Skeptic Pagan - Just a skeptical druid blogging about religion, mental illness, and whatever else triggers my fancy

The Little Rock Pagan Meetup - Come Meet Some Awesome Pagans!

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 02:23:37 pm »
Quote from: Enid;110631
I am an ADF member and doing the DP. There is a very nice weekly guideline for the DP that you can use if you like.

DP Through the Wheel of the Year by Rev. Dangler?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 02:32:06 pm »
Quote from: Enid;110631

I use it, but it's not nearly as detailed as OBOD's weekly lessons, which are full booklets of work - exercises of various kinds, reflections, guided meditations, poetry, music (if you get the CD), etc. I think OBOD's fee is justified by the amount of material they provide, as a result. ADF's 'Wheel of the Year' guide is not nearly as detailed. But they're two entirely different animals, so that's fair enough.
- Doctor Who

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 05:14:03 pm »

I've been an ADF member for a few year and have really enjoyed it. I think the price is good and the desiccant program overwhelming and is pretty straight forward.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Keri

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2013, 09:48:12 pm »
I was on the ADF Dedicant path for 7 months but finally dropped out. Nothing against ADF..it just wasn't for me.

I then joined OBOD and have been really happy with it. Some may find it wishy-washy but it speaks to my psyche in a way ADF did not. OBOD is a path that can be followed equally by Christians, Atheists, Pagans, and anything and everything in between. ADF has a fairly narrow view in that area--Iron Age deities assigned to certain hearth cultures.

What really helps in making a choice, I think, is to study up on recon Druidry versus Revival Druidry. I forget which magazine it is...the current issue of The Circle or Witches and Pagans...has an article in it by John Greer which speaks towards the value of Revival Druidry which is what OBOD practices. His words really hit home to me.

Part of my problem with ADF is that I saw them as idolizing the Iron Age with no respect or value for Druidry as practiced in the 18th century and on up. As if only Iron Age folks were inspired and authentic. In contracts, I think OBOD expresses the exact opposite view--there is value in the lore of the Iron Age, but there is also value in what modern day Druids created too--even the ones who made it up as they went along. There's value in it all as we endeavor to live in our modern age as well rounded citizens of the planet.

But....if one is looking for an Iron Age religion and scholarship that supports trying to practice that religion as authentically as possible in the here and now, then I think ADF is the place to be.

Ideally....I think it's a good idea to join both and see what fits. Sone in ADF also belong to OBOD and other Druid groups and it works together well for them. Yes OBOD is expensive---but I figure it's less than a dollar a day, and for me it's well worth it.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 05:41:42 pm »
Quote from: Keri;111025

A Reminder:
Hi, Keri,

Just a quick note:  Please remember to quote, even if you're just  replying to the first message in the thread.  It makes the discussion  easier to follow, and it's required by  our  rules. (If you're using tapatalk on a phone, please hold your finger down on the message you wish to reply to until the quote function pops up.)

This isn't a formal warning, just a reminder.  No  reply is necessary, but if you have questions or need clarification,  please feel free to contact a member of staff privately.

Thanks!
Sunflower, TC Forum Staff
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: