collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Minoan Brotherhood  (Read 5369 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Minoan Brotherhood
« on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:21 am »
I have heard some podcasts recently discussing this tradition, and I find it kind of interesting. While not a reconstructionist path, it involves Aegean and Near Eastern influence, and apparently honours the Great Goddess Rhea, and her consort, the bull of heaven, Asterion. The Brotherhood is a tradition of homosexual men, while there is also a Minoan Sisterhood, a lesbian offshoot.

I wonder why the Minoans became the subject of a homosexual-oriented tradition, probably just because it was what the tradition's founder, Eddie Buczynski, was interested in. Although, I think he founded a Welsh tradition previously. He was a Gardnerian initiate, so I think the MB has Gardnerian influence as well, and a three degree system of initiation.

There aren't any MB groves in my area, but I have been in touch with a priest in the US who has offered me long-distance training. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it, as I sort of prefer to do my own thing when it comes to my religious practice, and don't have much desire to participate in any organized tradition unless it's something I really relate to, but I am interested and might do some outer-court studies before I decide one way or the other.

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with this tradition?

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
Re: Minoan Brotherhood
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;110411
I have heard some podcasts recently discussing this tradition, and I find it kind of interesting. While not a reconstructionist path, it involves Aegean and Near Eastern influence, and apparently honours the Great Goddess Rhea, and her consort, the bull of heaven, Asterion. The Brotherhood is a tradition of homosexual men, while there is also a Minoan Sisterhood, a lesbian offshoot.

I wonder why the Minoans became the subject of a homosexual-oriented tradition, probably just because it was what the tradition's founder, Eddie Buczynski, was interested in. Although, I think he founded a Welsh tradition previously. He was a Gardnerian initiate, so I think the MB has Gardnerian influence as well, and a three degree system of initiation.

There aren't any MB groves in my area, but I have been in touch with a priest in the US who has offered me long-distance training. I'm not sure if I'm going to do it, as I sort of prefer to do my own thing when it comes to my religious practice, and don't have much desire to participate in any organized tradition unless it's something I really relate to, but I am interested and might do some outer-court studies before I decide one way or the other.

Yea the founder and a few others are from Traditional Wiccan backgrounds(I know as there's been past debates of those initiated into MB claiming Trad lineage believe it or not lol), so I'd imagine there being a few influences there.

It has just recently landed in Ireland. There's a coven Brother of mine who is homosexual, and interested in pursuing it on the side if his studies don't get in the way, so if it happens soon and I hear more I'll definitely chime in then, otherwise that's all I really know about them.
Semper Fidelis

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 12:37:09 pm »

I've always been curious about them. Let us know how it works out for you.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:00:26 pm »
There aren't any MB groves in my area....

There may not be any groves, but I know that there's at least one MB initiate who lives in your area - he's an occasional poster on the Amber&Jet e-list. Come to think of it, I haven't seen any posts from him in a while, so it's possible that he has left the list, left the TO area, or both (though people who aren't BTW initiates, or who are but it's no longer their primary practice, often go quite a long time without posting, since A&J is BTW-focused).

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Tags: