Thorson is on a distinguished road Thorson's Avatar
    Last Online
    6 Jul 2013 @ 03:43 PM
    Country
    Scotland
    Religion
    Norse/Germanic Paganism

Einherjar Day?

I've been reading about the Asatru "Days of Remembrance", including Einherjar Day. The problem is there does not seem to be a consensus regarding exactly when this day should be observed.

Some Asatru Pagans believe Memorial Day(May 27 this year) is the most appropriate, since it specifically honors those who have died in combat. Others prefer Veteran's Day(November 11).

Are both dates equally valid, or is one better than the other?

Grand Master Member
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupThree FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Nyktipolos is a glorious beacon of light Nyktipolos is a glorious beacon of light Nyktipolos is a glorious beacon of light Nyktipolos is a glorious beacon of light Nyktipolos is a glorious beacon of light Nyktipolos's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:56 PM
    Country
    Canada
    Religion
    Eclectic polytheism
    Pronouns
    she/her/hers

Re: Einherjar Day?

Quote Originally Posted by Thorson View Post
    Well one thing to keep in mind is that both of those dates are American. So if you're from a country that doesn't observe honouring particular people on those days, it may not make sense to keep with those dates, especially if they have contexts that do not line up with what you are trying to do: Wikipedia tells me that Memorial Day is for those who have died while in service, while Veterans Day is for all military servicepeople whether living or dead. You may try moving the festival instead to a date that makes sense to YOUR veterans and YOUR honoured military dead, and what you are trying to accomplish with having a day in your religious calendar called "Einherjar Day".
    "Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
    On the Rivers

Apprentice Achievements:
    31 days registered250 Experience Points
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Religion
    Norse/Germanic Paganism

Quote Originally Posted by Nyktipolos View Post
    Well one thing to keep in mind is that both of those dates are American. So if you're from a country that doesn't observe honouring particular people on those days, it may not make sense to keep with those dates, especially if they have contexts that do not line up with what you are trying to do: Wikipedia tells me that Memorial Day is for those who have died while in service, while Veterans Day is for all military servicepeople whether living or dead. You may try moving the festival instead to a date that makes sense to YOUR veterans and YOUR honoured military dead, and what you are trying to accomplish with having a day in your religious calendar called "Einherjar Day".
    Very good point, and one I had not considered. Thank you.

Journeyman Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    hlewagastir will become famous soon enough hlewagastir will become famous soon enough hlewagastir's Avatar
    Last Online
    22 Apr 2014 @ 11:41 PM
    Country
    Denmark
    Religion
    Heathen

I've been reading about the Asatru "Days of Remembrance", including Einherjar Day. The problem is there does not seem to be a consensus regarding exactly when this day should be observed.

Some Asatru Pagans believe Memorial Day(May 27 this year) is the most appropriate, since it specifically honors those who have died in combat. Others prefer Veteran's Day(November 11).

Decide for yourself. One of the reason there is no consensus is that it has been thought up in the 70ies (or something like that) by specifik individuals/groups. Itīs not really a pan-Asatru thing (in the same way midwinter is).
    I know nobody in Denmark who celebrates it - I think itīs mostly an American/possibly English thing.

Iīm not saying that it is not a valid or good thing to celebrate, just that it is not part of a shared source material so there isnīt really any consensus. Set your own date or pick that which suits you the best - IMO specific dates arenīt necessary; itīs doing it in the right season/time of the year that matters.

Apprentice Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Religion
    Norse/Germanic Paganism

Quote Originally Posted by hlewagastir View Post
    Decide for yourself. One of the reason there is no consensus is that it has been thought up in the 70ies (or something like that) by specifik individuals/groups. Itīs not really a pan-Asatru thing (in the same way midwinter is).
    I know nobody in Denmark who celebrates it - I think itīs mostly an American/possibly English thing.

Iīm not saying that it is not a valid or good thing to celebrate, just that it is not part of a shared source material so there isnīt really any consensus. Set your own date or pick that which suits you the best - IMO specific dates arenīt necessary; itīs doing it in the right season/time of the year that matters.
    Thank you. I think I will probably wait until one of the pan-Pagan festivals, like Midsummer. That would feel more "real" to me.

Grand Master Member

Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassThree Friends1 year registeredYour first GroupCreated Album pictures
    Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack has a brilliant future Jack's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Country
    USA
    Religion
    Virtual Adept, Fictional Reconstructionist, Heathen, Buddhist, Flamekeeper and Planeswalker
    Pronouns
    he/him/his

I honor my veteran ancestors on Veterans Day because they didn't die in war, essentially, but that's not an "Asatru holiday" for me so much as it's a day set aside for honoring a group that happens to overlap my ancestors.

Do you mind if I ask why Midsummer feels more real to you? Is it because it's popular, or more historical?

Apprentice Achievements:
    Last Online
    Country
    Scotland
    Religion
    Norse/Germanic Paganism

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I honor my veteran ancestors on Veterans Day because they didn't die in war, essentially, but that's not an "Asatru holiday" for me so much as it's a day set aside for honoring a group that happens to overlap my ancestors.

Do you mind if I ask why Midsummer feels more real to you? Is it because it's popular, or more historical?
    Both. From what I've read, and of course I'm open to correction, Midsummer is one of the most important Pagan festivals. It is celebrated by Norse/Germanic, Celtic and Baltic/Slavic Pagans.

+ Reply to Thread