collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: How Do You View Death?  (Read 6535 times)

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
How Do You View Death?
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:23 pm »
In the "Gods, Goddesses and Mythology" section I asked this very same question.  Now, I'm asking the same question without the deities in it.

So, what is Death - or death - to you?

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You View Death?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 06:40:21 pm »
Quote from: Fausta;108838

I tend to say it as a joke, but I mean it too:  sometimes the knowledge that everyone dies is the only thing that connects me to certain people.  I tend to feel a sort of tenderness toward, say, Rush Limbaugh or Pat Robertson because of this.  A sort of tenderness, mind you.  ;)

As far as what happens after, I don't know or care.  I suppose I'll see when I get there...or won't (the more likely scenario, to my mind).  I personally believe that biological entities simply end.  No part of my consciousness or "me-ness" will outlive me.  But again, I won't know until it's done.

Brina

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:30:12 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;108843

As far as what happens after, I don't know or care.  I suppose I'll see when I get there...or won't (the more likely scenario, to my mind).  I personally believe that biological entities simply end.  No part of my consciousness or "me-ness" will outlive me.  But again, I won't know until it's done.

Brina

End of the individual is my view as well, evidence suggests nothing else. I call it the Afterdeath, as opposed to the Afterlife. My atoms will be liberated to spread throughout the universe and seed new stars and planets for the rest of eternity. Not a bad deal.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:10:59 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;108843
As far as what happens after, I don't know or care.  I suppose I'll see when I get there...or won't (the more likely scenario, to my mind).

That's how I think as well. If there's something, that'll be a surprise. If there's nothing, I won't exist to be disappointed.

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 03:11:47 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;108927
My atoms will be liberated to spread throughout the universe and seed new stars and planets for the rest of eternity. Not a bad deal.

Back to the eternal cycle. *nod*

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 05:46:46 pm »
In the "Gods, Goddesses and Mythology" section I asked this very same question.  Now, I'm asking the same question without the deities in it.

The last great adventure. Or something to that effect. No idea what will happen and I wont know till I die, so it's like taking a corner blind, won't know what to be prepared for till I'm there. Might be nothing at all. might be everything.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 08:01:26 pm »

Death is the unbreakable promise, the fairest, most reliable, most honest thing in the universe.  It shows up for everyone and everything, binds everything that is into a common family, and is the place where everyone, no matter what, no exceptions, is welcome.  Nothing grows or lives or happens without it, and it is the fundamental engine of evolution, the clearest marker of time, and the most powerful enforcer of sharing there is.  Death reminds us that we are subject to rules and processes, that we are unavoidably part of a system greater than ourselves, and ensures that we give back all that we are, eventually, to the rest of the world.  Death makes a fiction of independence and a mockery of arrogance.  It is, without prejudice, factual beyond any argument.

Understanding the ultimate trustworthiness of death is how I came to be good at life, and it served as my first picture pointing to anything in the world being fair, or predictable, or all-inclusive, so it has served as my pointer to grace, love, and all sorts of things other people come to first.  In a world full of amorphousness and chaos, death, more than any other thing, can be counted on.  I don't really know how to leave divinity out of it.

That is, while I have a great deal of compassion for the pain of the living who have to endure the loss of the dead, I am a big, big fan of death.

*necromancer mic drop*
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 11:43:14 am »
Quote from: Valentine;109131
Death is the unbreakable promise, the fairest, most reliable, most honest thing in the universe.

I don't know how I failed to mention what a gorgeous post that is.  Because it is.

Brina

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 02:46:34 am »
Quote from: yewberry;109579
I don't know how I failed to mention what a gorgeous post that is.  Because it is.

Brina

Sometimes I get kind of piously worked up.  You should've seen the Day of the Dead service I led a year and a half ago.
...maybe I should share some of that here, actually, some of the theology might be of service to some people.  There was an image of the skull as a seed planted in the soil of the flesh, and the skeleton as roots reaching down, and eventually it blooms...
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 09:57:00 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;109579

Seconded!

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 04:10:19 am »
Quote from: Fausta;109768
Seconded!

I keep thinking of that thread from, what, a few months ago?  About the terrible dangers of necromancy and how wicked death magic will sap out your soul and wither you away to an evil lich-critter?  And then I think about what embracing Death has actually done inside me, and all I can do is laugh, and it's even a joyful laugh.  Embracing my mortality has given me such relief, and beauty, and comfort, and patience, and compassion.  It's demanded a lot of me, too, but seriously.  We waste so much of our short lives worrying away about the one thing we can be sure of.  I'd rather love it, learn from it, and be among the living while I have the chance.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2013, 09:02:01 am »

I think the nature of the universe is cyclical, so if there is a spiritual component to living things, I think it will be recycled. I don't know if spirits go through the cycles of life individually, or if it's more of a "drop returning to the ocean" kind of thing. I'm not a metaphysical expert, but maybe spirits who have evolved to a certain point break off from the whole and become individual, but I don't know how that would work. I think the concept of a happy afterlife is just something we use to comfort ourselves when a loved one dies, but maybe there is a place like the modern concept of "the Summerland" where spirits go to be renewed and rejuvenated between lifetimes. A return to the nourishing womb of the Mother before rebirth, so to speak.

Ludola

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 02:20:34 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;109786
I think the nature of the universe is cyclical, so if there is a spiritual component to living things, I think it will be recycled. I don't know if spirits go through the cycles of life individually, or if it's more of a "drop returning to the ocean" kind of thing.

In my opinion spirits continue into post-mortal infinity and this is very simple, pragmatic mechanism. We all mark our presences in the world, we have our friends and descendants, some of us can be remembered by a wider group of people by e.g. entering the cards of history (do you remember "Exegi Monumentum aere perennius", a stunning pagan interpretation of immortality). And this is how spirits survive, though dead bodies (these beautiful part of nature) decompose to become one with the earth's crust.

acidrica

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 06:27:28 pm »

To me, death is fear. It's uncertainty, and a whisper of a conclusion that I fear more than anything else: Nothingness. I don't want to stop existing, and no amount of 'but you won't be able to tell' is going to change that. To me, the worst Hell would be better than simply 'poofing' as if I never existed.

To me, it strips the meaning from life. Nothing matters, and nothing will ever matter. I'm not asking for full on reincarnation, I just want -something-, even if I don't remember this life.

And yet I follow Yinepu. Oh, the irony.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 07:24:20 pm »
Quote from: acidrica;110752
To me, death is fear. It's uncertainty, and a whisper of a conclusion that I fear more than anything else: Nothingness. I don't want to stop existing, and no amount of 'but you won't be able to tell' is going to change that. To me, the worst Hell would be better than simply 'poofing' as if I never existed.

To me, it strips the meaning from life. Nothing matters, and nothing will ever matter. I'm not asking for full on reincarnation, I just want -something-, even if I don't remember this life.

And yet I follow Yinepu. Oh, the irony.

Well, let's see where you follow Him to.

Tags: