Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Herbal Reference Book  (Read 2533 times)

TheBespectacledNerd

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bespectaclednerd.blogspot.com
Herbal Reference Book
« on: April 28, 2013, 04:08:23 am »
I'm looking for a good reference book on herbs.  The one I see recommended all the time is Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, but that's also the one I see being decried all the time.

One of the biggest issues with Cunningham's book seems to be that he doesn't warn readers about the dangers of some herbs, especially in relation to pregnancy, medications, and stuff like that.  But for someone who already knows that stuff, would it be a good book just as a reference for magic?  Or is there something else you would recommend?
http://www.bespectaclednerd.blogspot.com

My fund for getting away from my abusive family: http://www.gofundme.com/47zyu4

Also?  I can kill you with my brain.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Herbal Reference Book
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:11 am »
Quote from: TheBespectacledNerd;106946
One of the biggest issues with Cunningham's book seems to be that he doesn't warn readers about the dangers of some herbs, especially in relation to pregnancy, medications, and stuff like that.  But for someone who already knows that stuff, would it be a good book just as a reference for magic?  Or is there something else you would recommend?

For just magic, it's not bad. But then if you just want it for magic and are willing to ignore all info on consuming herbs, Culpepper's Complete Herbal is very good. It was published in the 1650s, but is fairly easy to find today. Just check a modern herbal for accurate info on the dangers of a herb before actually consuming anything (or runbbing something on you or the like).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

catja6

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 02:46:24 pm »
Quote from: TheBespectacledNerd;106946
I'm looking for a good reference book on herbs.  The one I see recommended all the time is Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs, but that's also the one I see being decried all the time.

If you want a short 'n' easy reference guide to folk uses of herbs, Cunningham is solid: I've checked his entries against multiple scholarly and respected magical plant-lore sources, and they all make sense. If you want extremely detailed, in-depth information, de Cleene and Lejeune's Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is an AWESOME resource: however, unless you have $300 to burn, you're best off looking at it in a university library. If British plants are your thing, Roy Vickery is the major academic authority.

Humphrey

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:38:54 am »
Quote from: catja6;107136
If you want a short 'n' easy reference guide to folk uses of herbs, Cunningham is solid: I've checked his entries against multiple scholarly and respected magical plant-lore sources, and they all make sense. If you want extremely detailed, in-depth information, de Cleene and Lejeune's Compendium of Symbolic and Ritual Plants in Europe is an AWESOME resource: however, unless you have $300 to burn, you're best off looking at it in a university library. If British plants are your thing, Roy Vickery is the major academic authority.

On the topic of good Herbal Reference Books, are there any good herbal reference websites? Something that isn't angelfire.com.

Tags: