collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: A fun project  (Read 2876 times)

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
A fun project
« on: April 18, 2013, 02:36:02 am »
I wasn't really sure which board would be the best to share this on, but I figured this one would work well. I might post it somewhere else too.

So, I wanted to make something to put on my alter to represent Lugh. I looked around a lot to find something appropriate and affordable. Eventually, I settled on making a three-sided, pyramidal lantern with drawings on each side to represent a different aspect of Lugh. The basic steps are here (http://www.ikara.com.au/IKARA/Make_a_Lantern.html), but I made a few alterations to make the lamp smaller, and it sets over a candle rather than holding one. So, here are some pictures of what I have. (Please note that my UPG on Lugh gives me a very Odiny vibe on him, so some of the imagery is slightly Norse in flavor.)

This side depicts Lugh in his aspect as a warrior. The text reads "Lugh," he holds a shield and spear, and wears a horned helmet. He's accompanied by three ravens and his face is meant to be stern and determined. You might notice that he's standing on grey clouds. All three sides feature this, because I wanted to emphasize his nature as a storm god in all three aspects.

This side depicts Lugh in his aspect as a king and master of wealth and plenty. The text reads "Lámhfhada" (long hand) to emphasize his dominion over land and wealth. In his right hand he holds a bushel of grain, in his left hand he holds a bag of coins, and he wears a crown. He's accompanied by a pair of hounds, and his face is meant to be pleasant and friendly.

This side depicts Lugh in his aspect as a man of arts and magic. The text reads "Samhildánach" (Equally skilled in many arts) for obvious reasons. In his right hand he holds a wand, in his left hand he holds a harp, and he's wearing blue robes. To his side is an anvil and his face is meant to show him singing.

I had a ton of fun working on this project (even though painting gets very frustrating for me), and I feel like it's a great way to depict deities with a triple aspect, or a nature relating to light (Brighid springs to mind). I would highly recommend it as an affordable way to honor a deity.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
A fun project
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 03:57:18 am »
Quote from: MattyG;105854
I had a ton of fun working on this project (even though painting gets very frustrating for me), and I feel like it's a great way to depict deities with a triple aspect, or a nature relating to light (Brighid springs to mind). I would highly recommend it as an affordable way to honor a deity.

I noticed this lantern in the pic you posted in the altar thread.  Very cool!  And definitely appropriate for Brighid!

Thanks for sharing the instructions. I'm going to give it a go.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: A fun project
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:28:43 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;105857
I noticed this lantern in the pic you posted in the altar thread.  Very cool!  And definitely appropriate for Brighid!

Thanks for sharing the instructions. I'm going to give it a go.

Awesome! When you finish, I'd love to see pictures.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 01:47:07 am »
Quote from: MattyG;106018
Awesome! When you finish, I'd love to see pictures.

I hope you're a patient person.  ;)

I'm not the best at artsy things like this.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;105854

Oh, wow. I love this! I may have misread, but you're supposed to burn a candle in/around this?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 03:14:37 pm by TheElegantShadow »
"Remember that a question is not a challenge to you as a person, but merely a request for information." I need to remind myself of this, at times. XD

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:03 am »
Quote from: TheElegantShadow;159038
Oh, wow. I love this! I may have misread, but you're supposed to burn a candle in/around this?

You burn the candle in it. That way the candlelight illuminates the paintings from within.

TheElegantShadow

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 04:52:45 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;159096
You burn the candle in it. That way the candlelight illuminates the paintings from within.

Ooooh. I see. Very nice! =D
"Remember that a question is not a challenge to you as a person, but merely a request for information." I need to remind myself of this, at times. XD

Tags: