Re: May Day 2024 by MadZealot
[May 01, 2024, 09:17:18 pm]

Re: United Methodist Church OKs Gay Clergy & Marriage by RandallS
[May 01, 2024, 06:11:50 pm]

Re: May Day 2024 by Sefiru
[May 01, 2024, 05:45:08 pm]

United Methodist Church OKs Gay Clergy & Marriage by Altair
[May 01, 2024, 01:42:08 pm]

Author Topic: Thyroid Things  (Read 2148 times)

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Thyroid Things
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:44:58 pm »
I went to check in with a new doctor today (since my old one retired) and apparently I have a goiter. (I just thought I had a fat neck.) And it has something to do with my thyroid not working properly.

So, me being me I'm kind of freaking out like DOES THIS MEAN i HAVE A LIFE-THREATENING ILLNESS?! But she says it's fine, they're going to do an ultrasound, and apparently most of the issues with one's thyroid can be fixed with drugs.

But I'm still worried. I mean, I feel fine, WTF thyroid? What do you even do anyways? Why are parts of me malfunctioning without my say so?

Anyways, so I am probably worried over nothing, at least this is what I am trying to convince myself, but I won't know until they get an ultrasound done. WHY DID MY NEW DOCTOR MAKE ME WORRY ABOUT THINGS, WHY?!

Anyways, happy thoughts, need happy thoughts please!

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thyroid Things
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:46:59 pm »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;104327
I went to check in with a new doctor today (since my old one retired) and apparently I have a goiter. (I just thought I had a fat neck.) And it has something to do with my thyroid not working properly.

So, me being me I'm kind of freaking out like DOES THIS MEAN i HAVE A LIFE-THREATENING ILLNESS?! But she says it's fine, they're going to do an ultrasound, and apparently most of the issues with one's thyroid can be fixed with drugs.

But I'm still worried. I mean, I feel fine, WTF thyroid? What do you even do anyways? Why are parts of me malfunctioning without my say so?

Anyways, so I am probably worried over nothing, at least this is what I am trying to convince myself, but I won't know until they get an ultrasound done. WHY DID MY NEW DOCTOR MAKE ME WORRY ABOUT THINGS, WHY?!

You have them

And it really is nothing to worry about - Nora's been on thyroid medication for a couple years, and my dad's been on it for going on 30 years now.

Long as you're good about keeping to your med for this, you'll be fine

{{Loka}}

Darkhawk

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Suns in her Branches
  • Religion: An American Werewolf in the Akhet; Kemetic; Feri; Imaginary Baltic Heathen; Discordian; UU; CoX; Etc
  • Preferred Pronouns: any of he, they, she
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:58 pm »

First of all, remember to breathe. :)

The thyroid does a lot of regulation of metabolism and energy levels.  It is a very well-studied part of the endocrine system, and people have been treating thyroid issues successfully for at least three generations (I know this, as I can speak as one of the third generation).

You'll probably need to get blood chemistry checked along the line here - my own thyroid issues were diagnosed and treated entirely by blood tests, no ultrasound, actually, though my goiter was very very low key so I guess they didn't figure it needed squinting at.

If it turns out your problem is hypothyroidism ('thyroid not producing enough hormone'), which is I believe more common, there are several people around here who will be able to talk to you about it.  My own actually functional diagnosis was about a year ago (I was treated for it through puberty and after that nobody gave a shit which meant it became an invisible functional disability for the following ... seventeen or so years).
as the water grinds the stone
we rise and fall
as our ashes turn to dust
we shine like stars    - Covenant, "Bullet"

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:56:31 pm »

Thyroid regulates a bunch of metabolism and endocrine stuff. (This is the highly non-technical explanation, obviously.)

The good news is that once you figure out optimum treatment for you, it really is pretty straight forward most of the time (and treatment is very inexpensive, generally, and in a lot of cases is a single pill once a day.)

Figuring out optimum treatment is sometimes very easy, and sometimes a bit trickier -there's several people around here who can give advice. My biggest one is to make sure you get actual blood work numbers from your doctor (not just "Oh, it's fine" but the actual results) so you can track them over time, and compare them to how you feel physically. Too many doctors rely on the bloodwork for dosage changes, and that can be problematic if you've still got symptoms.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 02:37:35 pm »
...Anyways, happy thoughts, need happy thoughts please!

(((((Loka)))))
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 03:24:49 pm »

You got it.  And welcome to the club.  It's a big club.  :)

Brina

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
Quote from: yewberry;104355
And welcome to the club.  It's a big club.  :)

Brina

Sure is! :)

(((Lokabrenna)))

Don't panic, and take it one step at a time. I don't have a thyroid at all. I take one prescription pill a day, calcium and vitamin D,  and I'm just fine. You might not need any of those.

I'm sure you'll be okay. If you have specific questions, just ask. There are lots of us who can help you out. :)

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Thyroid Things
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 06:01:10 pm »

It's the same problem you had yesterday.  Now you just know about it and can do something about it.

And you might think you're fine now, but hey, this still can feel better, right?  That can't be bad!

Owl

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Other
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »

Stop the Thyroid Madness answers many many questions:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 04:42:56 am »

Pretty much what everyone else has said plus a STRONG second to Jenett's recommendation regarding your actual numbers. I've got Hashimoto's Thyroiditis which is hypothyroidism. You'll be astonished by how much a single pill can improve your quality of life, at least for me it sure has. Darn near everything that was 'normal' for me turned out not to be lol. Fatigue, insomnia, brain fog, irritability, weight gain, lethargy - all improved or eradicated by my magic pill.

Also feel free to be clear with your physicians, take notes and check back. Thyroid issues are so common that IME it's not uncommon for a physician to slap a pill on it, throw a blood test at you and call it good for three-six months at a time. Which may be all that's really needed but not always.

Scent of Pine

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 02:22:18 am »

It's going to be OK.  I developed Graves disease (hyperthyroidism) in my early 20s.  I had to have my thyroid oblated with radioactive iodine.  Now I'm at the other end (hypothyroid) and will have to take a pill every day for the rest of my life.  The improvement in quality of life is incredible.  

It's really OK.  The function of the thyroid can be easily fixed/replaced with medicines.  It's often just a matter of fiddling with dosages.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 07:59:33 am »

Just an update, I'm finally going to the doctor to talk about the results of my ultrasound today. They apparently didn't get them the first time so I had to call the place and yell at them to fax the results again.

Both my a-mom and biomom are making me worry with their hysterics over it. I keep telling them both to stuff it because they're not doctors, but they aren't fucking listening, as usual, it's very frustrating.

Here's hoping it's nothing reeeeeeeally serious like surprise throat cancer.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 08:09:27 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;108061
Just an update, I'm finally going to the doctor to talk about the results of my ultrasound today. They apparently didn't get them the first time so I had to call the place and yell at them to fax the results again.

+++Fingers crossed+++
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:23:38 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;108061
Here's hoping it's nothing reeeeeeeally serious like surprise throat cancer.

It very probably won't be.  VERY probably.  Which I'm sure your doc already told you.

Brina (who's sending happy thoughts)

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:48:27 am »
Quote from: yewberry;108067
It very probably won't be.  VERY probably.  Which I'm sure your doc already told you.

Brina (who's sending happy thoughts)

What Brina said, VERY probably.

Tags: