Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Deities that Frighten You  (Read 37587 times)

Geroth

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Deities that Frighten You
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:41 am »
Which deity or spirit do you honor or work (or have honored/worked with in the past) with that frightens you or scares you the most? Do you have any deities that you refuse to work with or are scared to approach in anyway? Have you had any really negative experiences with a deity?

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Deities that Frighten You
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 08:47:20 am »
Quote from: Geroth;102303
Which deity or spirit do you honor or work (or have honored/worked with in the past) with that frightens you or scares you the most?

Mor Rioghain and Skadi can both be a bit...intense, but frightened of them? Na, they can be scary if you don't know much about them, but every interaction I've had with them has been a learning experience

Do you have any deities that you refuse to work with or are scared to approach in anyway?

Nope - it's just making sure you know what they're like through research and approaching them in a way that they'd approve of

Have you had any really negative experiences with a deity?

Nothing comes to mind, and working with the Irish-Gaelic and Norse pantheons, there's quite a few in there who most people would look at and go 'EEWWWW'

Aeto

• Apprentice
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 09:03:06 am »
Which deity or spirit do you honor or work (or have honored/worked with in the past) with that frightens you or scares you the most? Do you have any deities that you refuse to work with or are scared to approach in anyway? Have you had any really negative experiences with a deity?

I've always felt a little intimidated by Odin for some strange reason, though I've never worked with or honored him. I don't know why but something about him really frightens me for some reason.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 09:05:34 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;102306

Nothing comes to mind, and working with the Irish-Gaelic and Norse pantheons, there's quite a few in there who most people would look at and go 'EEWWWW'

Odin and Nerthus, I just avoid having to deal with either. Odin isn't relevant to me as Vanatru, but Nerthus gets a nod and a kind of "k, You're there, I've said hello, I'm done."

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:48:24 am »

Some of the Mahavidyas of Shaktism scare me and I avoid them like the plague; Chinnamasta, Dhumavati, Bagalamukhi, and probably more of them.
I talk to plants.

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 09:51:28 am »

I started worshiping Ishtar because She showed up and scared the shit out of me.  

Then I stopped worshiping Her because She still scared the shit out of me.  I seriously hope She's not mad.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 10:10:29 am »
Quote from: Lokabrenna;102312
Odin and Nerthus, I just avoid having to deal with either. Odin isn't relevant to me as Vanatru, but Nerthus gets a nod and a kind of "k, You're there, I've said hello, I'm done."

This is pretty much where I stand with Zeus and Ares. Love them, really, but aside from my dedication of doing the Spartan Race for the latter, I'm not really trying to be "in their presence."
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 10:32:02 am »

All the deities I work with have the capacity to terrify me. Then again, I'm a chicken. ;)

Odin scares the crap outta me, and I had a pretty bad experience with him. It's my fault, really, since I wasn't paying attention.

Oh, and Set. One time I pissed him off. ONE TIME. D: Knowing me, though, it's only a matter of time before I tread on some divine toes again.

The Eyes of Ra can be pretty damn scary, too.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 11:00:52 am »
Which deity or spirit do you honor or work (or have honored/worked with in the past) with that frightens you or scares you the most?

Why, Apollon does, on a pretty much regular basis. Starting from His attributes, that started triggering my various "phobias" (or, rather, "things that make me very, very uncomfortable)... fear of doctors and hospitals, fear of getting sick, fear of mice even.

Then there's some... darker aspects of Him; the Destroyer, Lord of Sacrifices, the Wolf God can be very, very intense.

And then, there's His vastness. He is a being that is much, much greater than I would ever be able to comprehend, and sometimes I have that glimpse, that I only deal with a tiny fraction of His entire being; and to be subjected to more would mean to be completely consumed.

That all is good fear, though; the kind that makes you grow (and suffering from anxiety, I know too well what bad fear actually is, and how it's different from this).

Septima

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 08:15:44 pm »

Quite a few in my experience. From the Nordic pantheon, Nerthus was a deity I tried my best to avoid, Loki (for obvious reasons) and Freya was also a little intimidating for me, which is strange, seeing as she is quite popular. Set of the Egyptian pantheon and also Ares of the Greek pantheon were also deities that I refused to work with.

Not that I'm even interested in them but a lot of the Babylonian deities are said to be quite dark and at times scary to work with.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 05:02:15 pm »

There's the kind of fear that you run away from, and then there's the kind of fear that you run towards.  (Or, in my case, more often approach slowly and reluctantly)

Dionysos can be absolutely terrifying - but for me, it's the kind of terror I can't turn away from, nor would I really want to.

The Gods are so vast, it only makes sense to me to be a little bit afraid even of the gentlest.  Or at least to hold them in great awe.

In the former sense, I was stupid in regards to Odin once early on, and have the definite "get away frome me" kid feeling from Him.  That was enough - I so don't go there.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2013, 05:04:34 pm »
Quote from: Septima;102407

Not that I'm even interested in them but a lot of the Babylonian deities are said to be quite dark and at times scary to work with.

They're just old-fashioned and don't beat around the bush, much.  ...granted, I am possibly a poor yardstick for who counts as dark and scary...
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

iisabelle

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 09:46:56 am »

I'm working with Kali right now, and while I do feel a sort of "okay be kind of careful and respectful" I wouldn't say I'm frightened or scared of her. I guess I see that she has a dark side and is fierce and scary in situations that require it of her (and sometimes she gets carried away I guess...), I see that reflected in myself and I see her as a mother/builder/protector/destroyer figure, if that makes sense. I mean, isn't any mother protective and scary when it comes to things that threaten the ones she loves?

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 10:04:02 am »
Quote from: iisabelle;102626
I'm working with Kali right now, and while I do feel a sort of "okay be kind of careful and respectful" I wouldn't say I'm frightened or scared of her. I guess I see that she has a dark side and is fierce and scary in situations that require it of her (and sometimes she gets carried away I guess...), I see that reflected in myself and I see her as a mother/builder/protector/destroyer figure, if that makes sense. I mean, isn't any mother protective and scary when it comes to things that threaten the ones she loves?

The only time I ever asked Maa Kali for help was when I was so depressed and in a slump and couldn't take it anymore. I wouldn't say I'm deathly afraid of her, but I do fear her...it's just that, compared to Chinnamasta and Dhumavati (shudders) she's actually a little softer. Shaktas can get away with worshiping her without initiation, at least a little bit...but you don't have the same luxury with Dhumavati, because she's freaking terrifying and will eff you up if you do something wrong. She also sends evil spirits after people, so that could also be a reason why I stay away.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 10:09:03 am by Gaudior »
I talk to plants.

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2013, 02:15:52 pm »

I'm not entirely sure if this is a pagan deity so I'm unsure whether it counts or not - but Baphomet freaks me the f*** out.  I just don't like the look of it; never have, probably never will.  The statues & pictures... I get a feeling of downright maliciousness from them.  I don't plan on ever working with it.  And if it ever shows up in my dreams...  I'd rather not think about that.
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Tags: