collapse

Author Topic: Making my own rune stones?  (Read 4731 times)

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://folio-versipellis.tumblr.com/
Making my own rune stones?
« on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:14 am »
I'm just learning about runes, and I would like to make my own set (when the snow melts, as there is still much of it here in Michigan).

What would be the best stones/materials to use, with consideration to the fact I live in a rural area and would be looking outside?

Especially if I want the set to have a special meaning (I would like to make one as a gift).

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
Re: Making my own rune stones?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 10:59:23 am »
Quote from: Polymorphia;100441
I'm just learning about runes, and I would like to make my own set (when the snow melts, as there is still much of it here in Michigan).

What would be the best stones/materials to use, with consideration to the fact I live in a rural area and would be looking outside?

Especially if I want the set to have a special meaning (I would like to make one as a gift).

I made my runes from stones I collected on a beach I spent nearly every summer as a child playing on. :)
You say you live in a rural area, is there anywhere nearby that you like to walk or has a special memory for you? You could try collecting stones from there. :)
I just painted my stones and then painted the symbols on them. They're an excellent set and I always get clear accurate answers from them :)
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Kylara

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patreon.com/kyndryana
  • Religion: Norse Fusion Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:28 am »

The set I'm currently working with I made by collecting stones from our front entryway.  We have some gravel there, and most of the stones are just a bit bigger than thumbnail size, so a good size.  I spent a couple of weeks sitting out there sorting through stones just grabbing ones that called to me.  I ended up with about ten more than I needed.  Took them inside, washed them up, then sat down with them and let them tell me what rune went with each (looking at color, shape, and such).  Once I had them sorted out, I painted the runes on with red nail polish.

It's not a super fancy set, but I really like working with it.  I have some of those glass craft beads too and was thinking about using those, but I really don't like working with glass for things that I am going to be tossing about (even gently onto a rug).
Check out my Patreon for more writing and other goodies!

eldri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 05:39:52 pm »

...What would be the best stones/materials to use, with consideration to the fact I live in a rural area and would be looking outside?

What materials 'feel best' to YOU?

Runes may be carved into wood, bone, antler, etc., as well as stone.
  So that if there is a tree that has been Important in your practice, you might ask it for a branch, cut slices  and carve the runes. Stain them, if you wish

Runes are a powerful tool, build them with Respect, as a magical act--
meditate, sing over them, stuff like that..

Good Hunting!
eldri

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 08:20:45 pm »
Quote from: Cág;100461
I made my runes from stones I collected on a beach I spent nearly every summer as a child playing on. :)
You say you live in a rural area, is there anywhere nearby that you like to walk or has a special memory for you? You could try collecting stones from there. :)
I just painted my stones and then painted the symbols on them. They're an excellent set and I always get clear accurate answers from them :)

Aww, that sounds great. Especially since I'm a sentimental person. xD Sounds much better than buying a set online.

I think I'll wait until I visit my family's cabin, because there's a lot of sentimental value to be had there. (:

Quote from: Kylara;100465
The set I'm currently working with I made by collecting stones from our front entryway.  We have some gravel there, and most of the stones are just a bit bigger than thumbnail size, so a good size.  I spent a couple of weeks sitting out there sorting through stones just grabbing ones that called to me.  I ended up with about ten more than I needed.  Took them inside, washed them up, then sat down with them and let them tell me what rune went with each (looking at color, shape, and such).  Once I had them sorted out, I painted the runes on with red nail polish.

It's not a super fancy set, but I really like working with it.  I have some of those glass craft beads too and was thinking about using those, but I really don't like working with glass for things that I am going to be tossing about (even gently onto a rug).

Oh yes. About thumbnail size sounds right, and I'll definitely let them tell me which rune should go where. I was planning on just painting them on at random. xD

Quote from: eldri;100508
What materials 'feel best' to YOU?

Runes may be carved into wood, bone, antler, etc., as well as stone.
  So that if there is a tree that has been Important in your practice, you might ask it for a branch, cut slices  and carve the runes. Stain them, if you wish

Runes are a powerful tool, build them with Respect, as a magical act--
meditate, sing over them, stuff like that..

Good Hunting!
eldri

I think I'll probably make them with stones, because that feels right to me. Plus stone will last much longer than anything else. :P

Thank you everyone for the advice! I feel like I have a good starting point now, and I'm not just going into it not knowing if I'm doing it wrong. xD

CaveMan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 08:25:35 pm »

i have some smooth round pebbles i got from a lake that i painted animal prints on but ive never felt them to be runes for fortune-telling, their more akin to places the animal spirits i work with are housed.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 08:43:18 pm »
Quote from: CaveMan;100539
i have some smooth round pebbles i got from a lake that i painted animal prints on but ive never felt them to be runes for fortune-telling, their more akin to places the animal spirits i work with are housed.

Unsurprisingly, since they are not runes.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

CaveMan

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 08:48:39 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;100541
Unsurprisingly, since they are not runes.

Sunflower

yeah i know that the majority tend to think that runes have to follow a set pantheon with a alphabet, i however disagree with that premise.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 09:00:06 pm »
Quote from: CaveMan;100544
yeah i know that the majority tend to think that runes have to follow a set pantheon with a alphabet, i however disagree with that premise.

Well, given that the word "rune" comes from the languages associated with futhark/futhorc (technically, they're not "alphabets" - both "alphabet" and "futhark" are references to the first letters in their respective systems), associating it with any other writing system is a bit of a stetch.  Words mean things.

Pantheons don't come into it at all.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 12:30:18 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;100541
runes.

Sunflower

Also following that link there is a great page on making your own rune set.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 01:50:42 am »
Quote from: Fireof9;100593
Also following that link there is a great page on making your own rune set.

Thank you, all of you! ;)

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 02:49:03 am »

I have several sets that I made, one out of sea-glass that I painted the symbols on and one that I plasma cut out of aluminum. I'd say any material you're comfortable with is good - wood is very popular, so a thick tree branch cut into slices would do well, and round or flat stones are great if you have those nearby. It's a little harder to find, but I've also seen bone and antler runes.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:51:19 am »
Quote from: CaveMan;100544

That's akin to using a computer keyboard where all the buttons are labelled with little drawings of flowers. It's lovely, and it may work great for you, but it's not what anyone will expect when you say that they're runes.

If you're dead-set on throwing off the shackles of shared language and communication, though, I wish you the best with that.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Kaylus

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 03:18:43 pm »

I have used air dry clay, glass aqaurium pebbles, and tree branches to make rune sets. My favorite are the clay and wooden style. I try to fallen oak branches for the wooden sets.

Polymorphia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 02:30:14 pm »
Quote from: Jack;100617
I have several sets that I made, one out of sea-glass that I painted the symbols on and one that I plasma cut out of aluminum. I'd say any material you're comfortable with is good - wood is very popular, so a thick tree branch cut into slices would do well, and round or flat stones are great if you have those nearby. It's a little harder to find, but I've also seen bone and antler runes.

Sea-glass, huh? Interesting. I might end up making a couple of sets since there are so many interesting materials to use. xD

Quote from: Kaylus;101112
I have used air dry clay, glass aqaurium pebbles, and tree branches to make rune sets. My favorite are the clay and wooden style. I try to fallen oak branches for the wooden sets.

Good ideas! Also I think it is best to use fallen branches, instead of ripping off healthy tree limbs, heh.

Tags: