collapse

Author Topic: Music and your path  (Read 2315 times)

Wandering

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Music and your path
« on: February 10, 2013, 12:04:59 am »
I'm curious to see how you guys integrate music into your practices/faith, if you do at all.  If you do, do you use it to help with certain meditation techniques?   Do you feel spiritually connected to certain kinds of music?   (I know that's a rather odd question, but I couldn't figure out how else to word it.  :whis: )
"I am not an unimaginable thing, my thoughts are tangible, though they\'re full of springs."

Automatonic Electronic Harmonics - Steam Powered Giraffe

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Music and your path
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:10 am »
Quote from: Wandering;95899
I'm curious to see how you guys integrate music into your practices/faith, if you do at all.  If you do, do you use it to help with certain meditation techniques?   Do you feel spiritually connected to certain kinds of music?   (I know that's a rather odd question, but I couldn't figure out how else to word it.  :whis: )

I have a playlist that I made for Bast. I rarely play it, though. :ashamed: It's supposed to be used for nightly rituals. For whatever reason, I usually do the rituals, but forget the music! Among a million-million other things, Bast is a goddess of music. So it's kind of . . . odd that I'd keep forgetting.

Songs that evoke a sense of desert, sun, fire, joy, happiness, light, rage, and destruction remind me a lot of Bast's complexity and depth. Also, stringed instruments. And some techno.

Also, I've picked up learning guitar for m'lady. Of course, I haven't been doing a very good job. Seems to be a pattern with certain aspects of my practice, lately. :ashamed:

I also have some rituals I want to try out some day that include dramatic reenactments with music and everything. Given my current living conditions, that can't happen right now.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

WanderingWaters2011

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:13:26 am »

Hello, it is funny that you ask this because I do not feel I have a deep spritual connection to any Celtic or Gaelic Deities but do with Celtic and Gaelic music. It relaxes me, gets me in a meditative mood, and invokes emotions in me which promotes spiritual work.

Guided meditations is probably where I have use pre recorded music the most....sometimes i have used it as background music to get people in the mood while we are settling down for a major ritual. However I have used much more extensively songs and music I have made up in ritual. I would say I have probably use my own sung invocations (musicand lyrics) to the Deities about 90% of the time and have made up tunes to invocations others have written as well. I like to sing for the Deities.

In Lukumi,of course, drumming and singing (in a call and response format)and dancing for the Orisha is very important and is the basis for almost all ritual in the religion. So music is a major component of my worship.

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 01:20:22 am »

I incorporate some kind of music into every aspect of my life as much as I possibly can. I honestly think that music is the biggest driving force in the entire universe.
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

crazyharry

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:55:50 pm »

I once did sort of a pagan adaptation of a Christian worship service by myself. It was incredibly effective, but it's hard to find things that are really applicable to my path and since I feel awkward about the possibility of neighbors and family members listening in, I haven't done it since. I wish I could get it together again though, music can be a very powerful tool.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »

Regularly.

My trad's practices include sung elements to the ritual setup at various points. When I'm working on my own, I also regularly use playlists to help me raise and focus energy for a particular goal (going to be doing that later today, in fact: in that working, there's three different sub-pieces of music, each 3-5 tracks long, or about an hour total.)

For non-ritual use, I keep a stack of playlists - each element, each Sabbat, a few other related things like that, that I listen to at relevant points as just general "music I have on during the day/while walking to work/etc. I also build equivalent playlists for ongoing magical goals. Usually these playlists run at least 4-6 hours, so there's very little repetition in a given day (or depending on how often I listen to it, a given week.)

In ritual with other people, I feel fairly strongly about music written for Pagan ritual or Pagan community purposes whenever possible. When I'm working on my own, I'm more relaxed about that, except that I won't use music written for other religion's ritual uses in Pagan ritual space. (But, for example, Mozart's Requiem is on my Samhain playlist for general listening.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Wandering

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2013, 03:28:47 pm »
Quote from: Fireof9;95905
I incorporate some kind of music into every aspect of my life as much as I possibly can. I honestly think that music is the biggest driving force in the entire universe.

I agree.   Music is a huge part of what I do on a regular basis (which is nothing religious, just making art but still) and there are even some songs that can evoke emotion out of me like nothing else can.

I have a friend who uses music as a way to get into a meditative state, I've been considering giving that a go.
"I am not an unimaginable thing, my thoughts are tangible, though they\'re full of springs."

Automatonic Electronic Harmonics - Steam Powered Giraffe

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2013, 07:50:42 pm »
I incorporate music in with my rituals. I kinda have a play list of Welsh Folk music, Scottish fiddle and Bagpipe as well. It sets the mood and helps my focus on my rituals and get into that mind set.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

benvarry

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 06:21:07 am »
I'm curious to see how you guys integrate music into your practices/faith, if you do at all.  

I love music and ritual.  I have a steadily growing collection of world/medieval/traditional folk music that I use whenever I want to create a sort of "separate space" for myself (I used to listen to it whenever I felt like it, but more and more I try to keep it for special occasions).  It doesn't have to be a full-out ritual - I use it as background when I'm reading tarot cards, or play it loudly when I'm dancing with my hoop.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06:43 am »

Some music, absolutely. Some music helps me attain trance faster than quiet does (most of the time, anyway). The different expressions of different ideas seems to resonate well with some of the situations I find myself it, that in itself qualifies as a spiritual aid to me. :)

CalamityJane

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://linguagemdospassaros.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2013, 01:48:33 pm »

Oh yes, I do. I use music in meditation as it helps me a lot to put me into that specific "head space".  For meditation I usually use the typic kind of music..new agey, flutes, zen stuff. It's clichĂ© but for me that's why it works.

To connect with the divine or just create the right sort of ambience I usually go for more pagan oriented bands: omnia, daemonia nymphe, faun, dead can dance, trobar de morte and others of the kind.

I don't worship any deity right now so I don't have a playlist for that, but I can totally see myself doing that. It seems like a natural way to connect.

Tags: