Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Curious-Why no Wicca SIG?  (Read 4419 times)

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Heathen(ish)
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
Curious-Why no Wicca SIG?
« on: January 29, 2013, 01:25:14 pm »
As it says, I'm just wondering why there doesn't appear to be any specific section of the forum for Wicca. There is, of course, a lot of material for "witchcraft" and general magical traditions in general. However, as far as I understand, Wicca is a distinct religious tradition that includes witchcraft, not something that is synonymous with it. Since Wicca is one of the larger Pagan traditions, I am just curious as to why there is no specific sub-forum for this religion.
My views are one that speaks to freedom.
-George W. Bush

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Curious-Why no Wicca SIG?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 01:28:14 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;94211
As it says, I'm just wondering why there doesn't appear to be any specific section of the forum for Wicca. There is, of course, a lot of material for "witchcraft" and general magical traditions in general. However, as far as I understand, Wicca is a distinct religious tradition that includes witchcraft, not something that is synonymous with it. Since Wicca is one of the larger Pagan traditions, I am just curious as to why there is no specific sub-forum for this religion.

Could just be that nobody's requested it before?

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 01:29:52 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;94212

I think that's it. SIGs come up through request. We didn't start out with an Asatru forum when I first joined TC, for example.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:37:12 pm »

It also has a lot to due with Wicca being hard to define.  Would it be just BTW or would NeoWicca also be included?

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Curious-Why no Wicca SIG?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 01:39:41 pm »
Quote from: Melamphoros;94215
It also has a lot to due with Wicca being hard to define.  Would it be just BTW or would NeoWicca also be included?

And perhaps also with much 'inner-court' material being oathbound?
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 01:48:55 pm »

Quote from: Sage;94213
I think that's it. SIGs come up through request. We didn't start out with an Asatru forum when I first joined TC, for example.

Thanks! That does makes sense. I think it would be interesting to have a Wicca SIG, but as I am not a Wiccan, and only have a wikipedia-level of knowledge about it, I am probably not the one to make such a request.

Quote from: Melamphoros;94215

A question much brighter minds (or at least minds more knowledgeable about Wicca) than myself would need to answer!

Quote from: Elani Temperance;94217

Yes, I suppose one wouldn't go throwing around such knowledge on public internet forums.

Thanks for the responses everyone. May we all have a substantial proportion of our queries answered in such a prompt and clear fashion!
-George W. Bush

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 02:17:35 pm »

Couple of reasons:

1) Definitional ones - I don't identify as Wiccan, f'ex, but most non-trad definitions of Wicca comfortably include me. How does a sig work with that?

2) The oathbound issue (there *is* a fair bit of non-oath material that can be discussed, but see point 3)

3) We've never had *that* many trad Wiccan members. We've usually had a small handful active at any given time, and then a bunch more that identify as eclectic Wiccans or Wiccan influenced, or initiatory religious witchcraft from other strands of practice, or whatever - all of which can cover a huge range of possible topics and approaches. In contrast, the recon-focused SIGs have a much narrower and better defined focus on what they are interested in talking about together.

4) Related, we've never seemed to have a burning need for one: one of the reasons for the SIGs is that it can be hard to find specific material when it's scattered across the board: the SIGs make it easier to browse some of those conversations/track long-running conversations. While some of those topics (initiation, f'ex) come up regularly on the general board, there just aren't that many of them in the grand scheme of things.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 03:52:48 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;94224
Couple of reasons:

1) Definitional ones - I don't identify as Wiccan, f'ex, but most non-trad definitions of Wicca comfortably include me. How does a sig work with that?

2) The oathbound issue (there *is* a fair bit of non-oath material that can be discussed, but see point 3)

3) We've never had *that* many trad Wiccan members. We've usually had a small handful active at any given time, and then a bunch more that identify as eclectic Wiccans or Wiccan influenced, or initiatory religious witchcraft from other strands of practice, or whatever - all of which can cover a huge range of possible topics and approaches. In contrast, the recon-focused SIGs have a much narrower and better defined focus on what they are interested in talking about together.

4) Related, we've never seemed to have a burning need for one: one of the reasons for the SIGs is that it can be hard to find specific material when it's scattered across the board: the SIGs make it easier to browse some of those conversations/track long-running conversations. While some of those topics (initiation, f'ex) come up regularly on the general board, there just aren't that many of them in the grand scheme of things.

Thanks for your response. Before today, I didn't really understand the "definitional" problems with Wicca, I thought it was actually pretty cut and dried. I guess you learn something everyday.
-George W. Bush

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 04:05:25 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;94230
Thanks for your response. Before today, I didn't really understand the "definitional" problems with Wicca, I thought it was actually pretty cut and dried. I guess you learn something everyday.

Let me wave at a page on my website then: http://gleewood.org/seeking/basics/range-of-uses/

(It is there so I can wave at it rather than try to explain it and hope I don't leave something out the next time round.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Megatherium

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 05:24:59 pm »
Quote from: Jenett;94233
Let me wave at a page on my website then: http://gleewood.org/seeking/basics/range-of-uses/

(It is there so I can wave at it rather than try to explain it and hope I don't leave something out the next time round.)

Thanks, that was a very informative read. Given all the ways that "Wicca" is used, it actually makes a lot of sense why there is no specific SIG.
-George W. Bush

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 06:03:08 pm »
Quote from: Megatherium;94242
Thanks, that was a very informative read. Given all the ways that "Wicca" is used, it actually makes a lot of sense why there is no specific SIG.

That pretty much covers it. It would be impossible to do some types of Wiccan SIGs anyway. For example a SIG for oathbound discussions would be impossible because (at a minimum) the hosts would have to have access to it.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 10:05:37 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;94217

Although the definition discussions appear frequently, most Wiccan-oriented websites contain both Traditional&Eclectic, Neo-Wicca because obviously with inner-court material being non discuss-able, the outer-court which they both share can. Also in regards to seekers&such, inner-court material can be explained without actually breaking any oaths either.
Semper Fidelis

Sveta

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2013, 06:48:54 am »
Since Wicca is one of the larger Pagan traditions, I am just curious as to why there is no specific sub-forum for this religion.

There are many different Wiccan traditions/paths/etc and a lot of disagreement between those who follow *this* versus those who follow *that* ... you'd end up having to open up a dozen subgroups to keep everyone from stomping on each other's thumbs. :p

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2013, 12:47:13 pm »
Quote from: Sveta;94288
There are many different Wiccan traditions/paths/etc and a lot of disagreement between those who follow *this* versus those who follow *that* ... you'd end up having to open up a dozen subgroups to keep everyone from stomping on each other's thumbs. :p

Lol well it works well in some places minus the subgroups, but thumbs always seem to get stepped on at some stage.
Semper Fidelis

victoreia

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: disorganized something
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 04:22:29 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;94308
Lol well it works well in some places minus the subgroups, but thumbs always seem to get stepped on at some stage.

Sounds like a convention of American Christian fundies, when put that way....
Do. Or do not. There is no try.  --Yoda, The Empire Strikes Back

We are star stuff. We are the universe, made manifest. --Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5

Mind how you go. -- Granny Weatherwax

Tags: