Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Pre-human Gods?  (Read 3314 times)

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Pre-human Gods?
« on: January 23, 2013, 12:03:50 pm »
A thought occurred to me when I was reading an article in a science magazine, which was detailing new findings in human evolution, and how Homo sapiens is a hybrid of at least two species.

My sudden thought was: what if the gods/sacred spirits of these species prior to/contemporary with H. sapiens  still existed? Would they try to contact us because we're their descendants?

I'm referring to Homo neandertalensis and the Denisovans, for those who don't keep up with such things, and borrowing a being from Mrs. Auel's "Earth Children" series-the Cave Bear Spirit, to represent hypothetical pre-human gods, how would you react if such an ancient entity contacted you?

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-human Gods?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 12:18:07 pm »
Quote from: Materialist;93160

My sudden thought was: what if the gods/sacred spirits of these species prior to/contemporary with H. sapiens  still existed? Would they try to contact us because we're their descendants?

There are a fair few cultures whose myths involve the 'human gods' wresting control from more savage or uncivilized beings - the Titans and the Jotuns, from Greek and Norse mythology respectively, occur to me.  Maybe these legends refer to the pre-human gods you're talking about?

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Pre-human Gods?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 12:25:06 pm »
what if the gods/sacred spirits of these species prior to/contemporary with H. sapiens  still existed? Would they try to contact us because we're their descendants?

Why do you assume the gods of pre-human beings are different from the gods of humans?

My take:  My path is centered on Brighid exclusively.  I believe She is one name for a Force that has always existed.  She pre-dates everything else and is a Creator of the universe we know.  So, I think She was around before humans were and will be around after humans.

I think it's probably the same for other gods, although not necessarily ALL other gods.

Just my $0.02, though.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 12:29:01 pm »
A thought occurred to me when I was reading an article in a science magazine, which was detailing new findings in human evolution, and how Homo sapiens is a hybrid of at least two species.

I'm referring to Homo neandertalensis and the Denisovans, for those who don't keep up with such things, and borrowing a being from Mrs. Auel's "Earth Children" series-the Cave Bear Spirit, to represent hypothetical pre-human gods, how would you react if such an ancient entity contacted you?

Interesting question!  (Though I want to add some nuance: this isn't true of all Homo sapiens.  My understanding is that most people of exclusively African descent do not have Neanderthal ancestry, nor, I believe, Denisovian.  I remember feeling a particular thrill, as an anti-racist activist, when I realized that it means people of African descent are theoretically the most "pure" "modern" humans on Earth.)
It's difficult to know anything about the shape of, say, Neanderthal religion.  They seem to have had a sense of symbol and awe and artifact, and there seems to have been some kind of veneration of natural forces or animals, but it's all "seems."  There's just no concrete knowledge.  And past that--let's say they did have animal deities.  What is the place of a deity of, or in the shape of, an animal that is now extinct?  A mastodon God?  An aurochs God?  A hyracotherium God? A glacier God south of the 45th Parallel?  There's the bigger question, right?  What happens to a God of something that doesn't exist any more?  What was the shape of deity pre-mammal, or pre-sentience?  In the Cambrian Explosion?

I think one of the ways to address it is Aster's--Gods as we know Them are eternal and represent bigger things than humans or hyracotheria, and maybe look like things that are familiar to us for convenience, or because They adapt to the times.  And Absent's is another--Titanomachies, succeeding dynasties as the world changes.
I find this unexpectedly fascinating to ponder, even though it has no practical application in my life.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 01:30:37 pm »

I flove neanderthals. One of my initial fascinations with Germanic mythology was its possible ties to a forgotten pre-history of humans clashing with neanderthal. I know there are theories that the jotuns represent the Ns while the Aesir were the Hs. And I would be fine with evidence that proved this.

If they had gods, and these gods contacted me, I'd be fine with that too. Though I've also had the feeling that their gods would be more animalistic. I haven't read what Valentine has so I have no idea why I think that. UPG I guess. :)
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 04:55:49 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;93163
Why do you assume the gods of pre-human beings are different from the gods of humans?

My take:  My path is centered on Brighid exclusively.  I believe She is one name for a Force that has always existed.  She pre-dates everything else and is a Creator of the universe we know.  So, I think She was around before humans were and will be around after humans.

I think it's probably the same for other gods, although not necessarily ALL other gods.

Just my $0.02, though.

~ Aster

Well, Aster Breo, I am unable to contemplate not-being-human, let alone one that lived 50,000 years ago. To me, it naturally feels like it would be something totally alien to my experience.

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 04:58:30 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;93164
Interesting question!  (Though I want to add some nuance: this isn't true of all Homo sapiens.  My understanding is that most people of exclusively African descent do not have Neanderthal ancestry, nor, I believe, Denisovian.  I remember feeling a particular thrill, as an anti-racist activist, when I realized that it means people of African descent are theoretically the most "pure" "modern" humans on Earth.)
It's difficult to know anything about the shape of, say, Neanderthal religion.  They seem to have had a sense of symbol and awe and artifact, and there seems to have been some kind of veneration of natural forces or animals, but it's all "seems."  There's just no concrete knowledge.  And past that--let's say they did have animal deities.  What is the place of a deity of, or in the shape of, an animal that is now extinct?  A mastodon God?  An aurochs God?  A hyracotherium God? A glacier God south of the 45th Parallel?  There's the bigger question, right?  What happens to a God of something that doesn't exist any more?  What was the shape of deity pre-mammal, or pre-sentience?  In the Cambrian Explosion?

I think one of the ways to address it is Aster's--Gods as we know Them are eternal and represent bigger things than humans or hyracotheria, and maybe look like things that are familiar to us for convenience, or because They adapt to the times.  And Absent's is another--Titanomachies, succeeding dynasties as the world changes.
I find this unexpectedly fascinating to ponder, even though it has no practical application in my life.

My thinking wonders into these areas as well. Eventually it leads to Neil Gaiman's "American Gods."

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:08:38 pm »
Quote from: Valentine;93164

I think my brain is leaking out my ears...

There is some speculation regarding some Slavic deities that their identity began being understood and acknowledged as elementals and vila, rather than deities. That they were personifications of various natural aspects, and the deities we now know are just leader-type elementals/vila.

Perhaps the ancestors of modern humans (or whatever) followed the idea of basic elemental life.

Chausette

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:18:22 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;93162
There are a fair few cultures whose myths involve the 'human gods' wresting control from more savage or uncivilized beings - the Titans and the Jotuns, from Greek and Norse mythology respectively, occur to me.  Maybe these legends refer to the pre-human gods you're talking about?

Absent

I never thought of the Titans as being the gods of non-human beings, but that makes a great deal of sense to me; especially since the Titan myths tend to deal with when the world was new and 'wild'.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »

My question being, why would you think Homo neanderthalensis, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo floresiensis and all the rest aren't Human?

Just my scientific mind at work - all were tool-makers, all had a form of culture and all were successful - Neanderthal Man flourished for over six times the length that Homo sapiens sapiens has existed.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 09:31:04 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;93314
I think my brain is leaking out my ears...

There is some speculation regarding some Slavic deities that their identity began being understood and acknowledged as elementals and vila, rather than deities. That they were personifications of various natural aspects, and the deities we now know are just leader-type elementals/vila.

Perhaps the ancestors of modern humans (or whatever) followed the idea of basic elemental life.

There's some scholarship suggesting this about several Roman deities as well.  What with the concept of numinism (sort of, very much an understatement here, animism) and all.

I could see this, and I could see this happening with "pre-humans" as well.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 12:24:31 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;93163

Just my $0.02, though.

~ Aster

I tend along these lines too. I think there are gods that have been around long long long before humans were a sparkle in the universes eye. I think that there are also gods that are highly evolved nature spirits, but they likely pre-date humans as well to some degree.

In my opinion, humans have put themselves on a pedestal that says that all things revolve around us. But we are simply species that is somewhat more evolved than others on our planet. For all we know we are a petri dish experiment of the gods........
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Materialist

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 11:29:46 am »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;93359
My question being, why would you think Homo neanderthalensis, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo floresiensis and all the rest aren't Human?

Just my scientific mind at work - all were tool-makers, all had a form of culture and all were successful - Neanderthal Man flourished for over six times the length that Homo sapiens sapiens has existed.

Chimpanzees also have a too-making culture, but they are not human.  Archaeological evidence of tool use is poor evidence for human-like behavior. Obviously, with Neandertals and Denisovans, they were intelligent enough to communicate with humans and live together, but how similar they were to each other is unknowable with present evidence.

I'm reminded suddenly  of the "Lord of the Rings;" Elves were always called elves, never humans, despite being almost identical. Such complete distinction between species may have existed with hominins-I'm speculating in a thread about speculating.

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;93169
I flove neanderthals. One of my initial fascinations with Germanic mythology was its possible ties to a forgotten pre-history of humans clashing with neanderthal. I know there are theories that the jotuns represent the Ns while the Aesir were the Hs. And I would be fine with evidence that proved this.

I've read some of the same speculation you and Marilyn are referring to, and it makes makes sense to me that there would be different kinds of gods for different peoples, especially the division of the wild, elemental jotnar from the agricultural Vanir and the more civilized Aesir.
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Aspiria

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Pre-human Gods?
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:52 pm »
Quote from: Jack;93486
I've read some of the same speculation you and Marilyn are referring to, and it makes makes sense to me that there would be different kinds of gods for different peoples, especially the division of the wild, elemental jotnar from the agricultural Vanir and the more civilized Aesir.

If I wanted to study all of this, What would I study in? Geology? Archaeology? This is fascinating and I'm in college (at my age ha)

Tags: