Spirituality in the age of social media by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 08:28:55 pm]

Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Author Topic: So. I feel like an idiot  (Read 9104 times)

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
So. I feel like an idiot
« on: January 10, 2013, 01:05:46 am »
All this time I thought Gods controlled/were the forces of nature (ex. Thor is Thunder), and that the giants were outside forces that tried to disrupt that.  

But I was reading in "Giants of Teutonic Religion" that the giants are all forces of nature, and the gods mitigate and control their influence.

"One way that giants are associated with natural forces or events is by “personifying” such forces or events, while deities control or mitigate. Examples of this can be found in the Eddas. For example, the giant Logi is wildfire but the god Njörð stills fire. Another example: the giant Elli is old age, but the god of health and strength (Þórr) slows down its onset (See Gundarsson, 1993a; Karlsdóttir et al, 1993;Young, 1954: 51, 77, 78).

Another function of giants is to automatically cause. Thus, Vindlóni (Wind-Cool) is the (automatic) father of winter, but several deities could be called upon to mitigate weather for human benefit. A giant called Svásuð (Agreeable) is the father of summer, which comes relentlessly year after year. In the OERP Book,Stanfield (2000a) argues that Night and Day are giants. (See also the sidebar, “Sun and Moon”)."

Obviously I feel stupid, but this explains things so much better. Did anyone else have that dynamic backwards? :ashamed:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:06:25 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Re: So. I feel like an idiot
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 01:26:03 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;90003
All this time I thought Gods controlled/were the forces of nature (ex. Thor is Thunder), and that the giants were outside forces that tried to disrupt that.  

But I was reading in "Giants of Teutonic Religion" that the giants are all forces of nature, and the gods mitigate and control their influence.

"One way that giants are associated with natural forces or events is by “personifying” such forces or events, while deities control or mitigate. Examples of this can be found in the Eddas. For example, the giant Logi is wildfire but the god Njörð stills fire. Another example: the giant Elli is old age, but the god of health and strength (Þórr) slows down its onset (See Gundarsson, 1993a; Karlsdóttir et al, 1993;Young, 1954: 51, 77, 78).

Another function of giants is to automatically cause. Thus, Vindlóni (Wind-Cool) is the (automatic) father of winter, but several deities could be called upon to mitigate weather for human benefit. A giant called Svásuð (Agreeable) is the father of summer, which comes relentlessly year after year. In the OERP Book,Stanfield (2000a) argues that Night and Day are giants. (See also the sidebar, “Sun and Moon”)."

Obviously I feel stupid, but this explains things so much better. Did anyone else have that dynamic backwards? :ashamed:

(Just say yes, make me feel better.)

So, then, the thunder storm isn't Thor moving across, Thor is fighting that bad ass storm to keep it from doing damage. Tornadoes aren't gods, they're the absence of gods. If they were absent altogether, then Earth would be an environmentally hostile planet. It would just snow and flood and burn like crazy without restraint.

Which is Ragnarok. But Ragnarok has them coming from over the bridge, onto earth. So there's the confusion.

...Heh. This was such a bad misunderstanding.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:31:41 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;90005
Tornadoes aren't gods, they're the absence of gods. If they were absent altogether, then Earth would be an environmentally hostile planet. It would just snow and flood and burn like crazy without restraint.

That does makes sense! Not that I have read much on the Norse mythology, but generally speaking. *nodnod*

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:55:20 am »
Quote from: Fausta;90021
That does makes sense! Not that I have read much on the Norse mythology, but generally speaking. *nodnod*

Thanks for replying. I would have felt worse with this just hanging there. :)

I mean, I knew giants could be destructive forces of nature, but I thought it was because they had slipped through, especially since there's that "eyebrow" wall of Ymir to keep them out of Midgard. And like I said; Bilfrost, the giants crossing over, and Heimdallr watching out for their approach just led me to that conclusion as well. I took it as giants being outside (utgard) forces, not our natural everyday forces. They were in Jotunheim and we and the gods were here. But I guess I was being super literal about that and the gods being tied to the land and other things.

What I didn't consider was the giants as all of the natural forces just kept in check by gods, but it does make a lot more sense of everything. The birds are chirping outside and the sun is shining because the gods are doing their part and keeping the world under control...and that better explains the reciprocal relationship without having to think about rain dances.

What I want to know is, how did this never come up in conversation?!? Lol. Maybe it did and I didn't listen. ;)

Maythe

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://maytheweed.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:12:34 pm »
This is really interesting.

I wish I was feeling less zombiefied and could make more intelligent comment than that! :ashamed:
My writing blog is very occasionally updated with poetry and short stories. My gardening blog is more active.

Nyarindë

• View Profile
    • https://featherfurandtusk.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 06:56:51 pm »
(Just say yes, make me feel better.)

So, then, the thunder storm isn't Thor moving across, Thor is fighting that bad ass storm to keep it from doing damage. Tornadoes aren't gods, they're the absence of gods. If they were absent altogether, then Earth would be an environmentally hostile planet. It would just snow and flood and burn like crazy without restraint.

Which is Ragnarok. But Ragnarok has them coming from over the bridge, onto earth. So there's the confusion.

...Heh. This was such a bad misunderstanding.

Don't feel too silly...it's not a conceptualization of deities that most of us are used to. Especially in the West, we get taught that the mythological gods were all just explanations of natural forces, and that idea permeates our whole understanding.

I had kind of a "whoa!" moment with this too, and it really ties in with how it's less about Good vs. Evil (if at all) than it is chaos vs. order in Heathenry. It also fits with many of the gods being part giant.

And on a personal note, you really get a sense of this when you're in the middle of serious bad weather. I was on the east coast during Sandy and it was like, "Oh. That's a jotun. Ok. :eek:".

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 08:22:25 pm »
Quote from: Amber Ice;90147
Don't feel too silly...it's not a conceptualization of deities that most of us are used to. Especially in the West, we get taught that the mythological gods were all just explanations of natural forces, and that idea permeates our whole understanding.

I had kind of a "whoa!" moment with this too, and it really ties in with how it's less about Good vs. Evil (if at all) than it is chaos vs. order in Heathenry. It also fits with many of the gods being part giant.

And on a personal note, you really get a sense of this when you're in the middle of serious bad weather. I was on the east coast during Sandy and it was like, "Oh. That's a jotun. Ok. :eek:".

Thanks. :)

It put a large piece of the puzzle together for me wrt order vs chaos. So much makes sense now.

I'm actually really excited by it.

Eta: And glad you made it through that storm!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 08:28:10 pm by Juniperberry »

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;90173
Thanks. :)

It put a large piece of the puzzle together for me wrt order vs chaos. So much makes sense now.

I'm actually really excited by it!

Some scholars of the Irish tales have put out the suggestion that the Fir Bolg and Formorians represented the raw, unchecked forces of nature and that the Tuatha De' Dannan were the ones who brought order.

So it's not a new idea at all, and applies to probably every pantheon out there - Titans vs Olympians anyone?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:55 pm »

It makes sense, at least to someone like me whose knowledge of Norse mythology is fairly limited.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 08:43:42 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;90176
Some scholars of the Irish tales have put out the suggestion that the Fir Bolg and Formorians represented the raw, unchecked forces of nature and that the Tuatha De' Dannan were the ones who brought order.

So it's not a new idea at all, and applies to probably every pantheon out there - Titans vs Olympians anyone?

Well, I didn't think it was new. That's why I feel so stupid (and I appreciate everyone being gentle). I think the idea has been out there and accepted knowledge, I just understood it assbackwards lol.

When I told my husband he said something like: "Yeah, that's how I understood it. Haven't you ever watched (Disney's) Hercules?"

Didn't really make me feel better. :p

Jack

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • Skyhold
  • Religion: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/he
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:50 pm »
Quote from: Amber Ice;90147

Yep. Ran and her daughters are not to be trifled with. ;)
Hail Mara, Lady of Good Things!
"The only way to cope with something deadly serious is to try to treat it a little lightly." -Madeleine L'Engle

Hyacinth Belle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 09:27:26 pm »
Quote from: Juniperberry;90188
When I told my husband he said something like: "Yeah, that's how I understood it. Haven't you ever watched (Disney's) Hercules?"

Didn't really make me feel better. :p

hahaha! Does someone have a YouTube link for this or something? I haven't seen the movie, but I'm curious as to what you're talking about...

As for your original epiphany, I guess... I never really thought about it! Although now that I do, I realize I never felt the gods were "inflicting" natural disasters on us. The whole "punishing mankind with weather" bit common in Christianity never hit a nerve with me.

The way you've pointed it out as extreme weather disasters as the unbridled jotun force to be controlled / managed by the gods makes a lot of sense. That raw energy is necessary for rain, a cool breeze, etc. But too much of a good thing isn't so anymore.

However, I'm probably taking this too literally, but then my next thought is what about global warming and the effects it has as regards to increasing extreme weather events? Does that mean the gods are less involved in it now for some reason?
"Silent and thoughtful a prince\'s son should be / and bold in fighting; / cheerful and merry every man should be / until he waits for death." ~ Havamal, stanza 15

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 09:42:00 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;90208
hahaha! Does someone have a YouTube link for this or something? I haven't seen the movie, but I'm curious as to what you're talking about...

I have no idea! Never seen it (and wishing I had).

As for your original epiphany, I guess... I never really thought about it! Although now that I do, I realize I never felt the gods were "inflicting" natural disasters on us. The whole "punishing mankind with weather" bit common in Christianity never hit a nerve with me.

The way you've pointed it out as extreme weather disasters as the unbridled jotun force to be controlled / managed by the gods makes a lot of sense. That raw energy is necessary for rain, a cool breeze, etc. But too much of a good thing isn't so anymore.

However, I'm probably taking this too literally, but then my next thought is what about global warming and the effects it has as regards to increasing extreme weather events? Does that mean the gods are less involved in it now for some reason?

The article I read explained it as the giants (for the most part) being incapable of thinking in the long term. That's why their actions can be so chaotic and destructive. The gods can think in the longterm, however. So on a literal basis either the gods are losing control and ragnarok is approaching or, in the long term the effects of global warming are necessary.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 09:43:38 pm by Juniperberry »

Fireof9

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 09:44:19 pm »
Quote from: Hyacinth Belle;90208
The whole "punishing mankind with weather" bit common in Christianity never hit a nerve with me.

Thats because of all the gay people I was recently told. Seemed odd to me since gay marriage has been legal here in Canada for a long time and we are not having any real problems.........
Really?  So, hey, want to go fishing?  I\'ve got a telescope, and it\'s going to be a dark night, so we should see the fish really well.
...what, I\'m not talking about fishing?  That\'s stargazing?  It\'s all doing-stuff, so it\'s the same thing, right?
-HeartShadow

Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is a mystery,Today is a gift,thats why the call it the present - Master Oogway

Finding the Owl -my blog
The Gwyddonic Order

Gore

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 01:09:20 pm »

Boom, headshot to my worldview. :ashamed: This does make much more sense, even better to explain Ragnarok and how the gods could no longer fend off the giants and undead forces any longer. I'm glad i was turned straight now rather than later.

But how do we explain the Wild Hunt? Odin's charge across the world that supposedly brings catastrophe to the viewer? I am just curious :)

Tags: