Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Would the Gods exist if we didn't?  (Read 3447 times)

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Would the Gods exist if we didn't?
« on: January 08, 2013, 08:59:30 pm »
In a hypothetical scenario where there is an absence of human life on planet Earth, would the Gods still exist?

Why/why not?

(Just something I've been pondering and thought I'd open it up for discussion).
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Would the Gods exist if we didn't?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:13:56 pm »
Quote from: Juniper;89804
In a hypothetical scenario where there is an absence of human life on planet Earth, would the Gods still exist?

Why/why not?

I think most of them would, since they are a part of the natural world (at least in my personal beliefs). Deities whose domain is only human-related stuff like commerce might be in trouble, though. ;)

A little pantheism spilled into my monism and polytheism, so maybe that's why I see it that way.

I believe most deities also existed before we did--and mythologies generally support that idea--so I don't see why they couldn't go on existing without us.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:33 pm »

Why/why not?

According to my lore, they would and they did. They would be... less? without us in a way? But no less complete if humans weren't "meant" to be. Or I guess complete in a different way. Hard to explain.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:23:54 pm »

I don't see why not. Although some would probably have different areas of concern (e.g. those deities whose many focus are various human activities).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;89810
I don't see why not. Although some would probably have different areas of concern (e.g. those deities whose many focus are various human activities).

Do you think the Gods have developed those areas of concern because they've watched us and found that particular area appealing, or because we as humans have applied that area to them in order to relate to them somehow?
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 09:38:50 pm »
Quote from: Juniper;89811
Do you think the Gods have developed those areas of concern because they've watched us and found that particular area appealing, or because we as humans have applied that area to them in order to relate to them somehow?

I think it can go both ways.

It could be the gods have found particular interests that coincide with human interests. It could also be that humans would propitiate certain gods who seemed like they might be good at x-human-thing, and over time those gods either developed a like for those things, or some other kind of interest. Hope that made sense.:o
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 09:45:22 pm »
Quote from: Shine;89815
I think it can go both ways.

It could be the gods have found particular interests that coincide with human interests. It could also be that humans would propitiate certain gods who seemed like they might be good at x-human-thing, and over time those gods either developed a like for those things, or some other kind of interest. Hope that made sense.:o

Yes that made sense :)

Personally I've always found it difficult to associate the Gods with something that would seem so absolutely human in nature, and I think it's because my relationship with my Gods has been such that I view them as so much more vast than something human could ever be. They are so much more than me that I find it hard to relate them to something so mundane.

Hmm...now I hope that that made sense!

Natural Serenity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 09:50:27 pm »

Why/why not?

I would tend to think that they would still be here but without us "humans" they might not have as much power, "as in one god or goddess over another". I would see them as being simi equal in a way. Without them we may not have come into being. But then you have to take into thought that some of the gods can just be thought up on the spot those I may see as having a little bit of an issue. I also think if we had not be placed here that this world would be in a lot better condition, not to say we still cant fix some of the problems.
:thup:

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 10:02:57 pm »
Quote from: Shine;89808
I think most of them would, since they are a part of the natural world (at least in my personal beliefs). Deities whose domain is only human-related stuff like commerce might be in trouble, though.

I believe most deities also existed before we did--and mythologies generally support that idea--so I don't see why they couldn't go on existing without us.

This pretty much sums it up for me as well. I'll switch out commerce deities for ancestral deities, though.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 03:24:34 am »

Why/why not?

They would, and did. The creation stories that tend to involve the existence of one or more supernatural entities, who give rise to others, who subsequently give rise to human and animal life on earth? Yeah, they were around before humans.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 09:19:38 am »

I think they would exist, but not in the culturally-specific forms we're familiar with.

Frostfire

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 09:36:59 am »

Why/why not?

Yes I think they would,  this is a bit of a blog post that I love to reread and think on, the full link to which is
http://forestdoor.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/gods-not-our-own/
 ( I am using this instead of trying to articulate it myself for the sake of retaining clear communication I am afriad I'll garble it up horribly )

We tend to speak and think of plant/animal/etc. deities as singular, rather archetypal concepts, and primarily in relation to their significance to humans. In other words, we might conceive of a deer god (separate from any deer aspects of other deities), a god that appears as a deer, watches over deer, and has what we think of as deer-like qualities. But humans do not just have one deity who appears in our form, one deity for every location in which we live, or even one deity who governs over a particular human concern (such as agriculture, communication, etc.). Since other entities in this world are just as real and just as capable of a spiritual existence (in fact, they likely do not even have such a self-imposed dichotomy between material and spiritual realities as we do), why should we not then assume that their gods are myriad? Is it not likely that there are, in fact, quite a few deer gods who are tied to different regions, different species, different cervid qualities and concerns? (Perhaps we have even glimpsed these different gods and mistaken a multitude for a single entity due to the same kind of cross-racial recognition difficulties we have within just the human race.)

Extending this further, there are also probably many oak gods, many granite gods, many lichen gods, although perhaps some of those forms of life are so different from us that their deities would not be recognizable as such to us, nor would they necessarily perform the same functions or interact the same way as ours do. There’s no reason, either, to assume that every god of significance to oak trees is, itself, an oak tree – just like not all of our own gods appear as human. An oak tree would have reason to be intimately connected to gods of rain, soil, insects, fire, fertility, drought.

Now for me this works great and makes pretty awesome sense It might not for everyone else. Some gods would be affected if humans ceased to exist..but for the most part I think that they would just keep on truckin.

Natural Serenity

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:58:31 am »
Quote from: Frostfire;89900
Yes I think they would,  this is a bit of a blog post that I love to reread and think on, the full link to which is
http://forestdoor.wordpress.com/2012/07/20/gods-not-our-own/
 ( I am using this instead of trying to articulate it myself for the sake of retaining clear communication I am afriad I'll garble it up horribly )

We tend to speak and think of plant/animal/etc. deities as singular, rather archetypal concepts, and primarily in relation to their significance to humans. In other words, we might conceive of a deer god (separate from any deer aspects of other deities), a god that appears as a deer, watches over deer, and has what we think of as deer-like qualities. But humans do not just have one deity who appears in our form, one deity for every location in which we live, or even one deity who governs over a particular human concern (such as agriculture, communication, etc.). Since other entities in this world are just as real and just as capable of a spiritual existence (in fact, they likely do not even have such a self-imposed dichotomy between material and spiritual realities as we do), why should we not then assume that their gods are myriad? Is it not likely that there are, in fact, quite a few deer gods who are tied to different regions, different species, different cervid qualities and concerns? (Perhaps we have even glimpsed these different gods and mistaken a multitude for a single entity due to the same kind of cross-racial recognition difficulties we have within just the human race.)

Extending this further, there are also probably many oak gods, many granite gods, many lichen gods, although perhaps some of those forms of life are so different from us that their deities would not be recognizable as such to us, nor would they necessarily perform the same functions or interact the same way as ours do. There’s no reason, either, to assume that every god of significance to oak trees is, itself, an oak tree – just like not all of our own gods appear as human. An oak tree would have reason to be intimately connected to gods of rain, soil, insects, fire, fertility, drought.

Now for me this works great and makes pretty awesome sense It might not for everyone else. Some gods would be affected if humans ceased to exist..but for the most part I think that they would just keep on truckin.

You took that to a whole new level I wasn't even thinking on animals or nature itself, but in the end id have to agree with you. In the long run things would just keep on "truckin".
:thup:

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 09:14:29 pm »
Quote from: Frostfire;89900

Since other entities in this world are just as real and just as capable of a spiritual existence (in fact, they likely do not even have such a self-imposed dichotomy between material and spiritual realities as we do), why should we not then assume that their gods are myriad? Is it not likely that there are, in fact, quite a few deer gods who are tied to different regions, different species, different cervid qualities and concerns? (Perhaps we have even glimpsed these different gods and mistaken a multitude for a single entity due to the same kind of cross-racial recognition difficulties we have within just the human race.)

Wow, that's very interesting and thought-provoking. I think I need a little more time to digest this though as it's making my brain hurt a little bit.

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 04:58:07 am »

Yes.  And no.  Depending on which gods.

I don't believe all gods are created equal and not all gods are the same type of beings.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Tags: