Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:04:57 pm]

Re: Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 11:21:37 pm]

Re: Spring Has Sprung! 2024 Edition by SunflowerP
[March 21, 2024, 10:24:10 pm]

Stellar Bling: The Good, the Bad, the OMG! by Altair
[March 21, 2024, 02:52:34 pm]

Author Topic: "Popular" Celtic Books  (Read 2842 times)

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
"Popular" Celtic Books
« on: January 07, 2013, 04:43:36 pm »
Ok, it's too quiet in here... let's talk...

What are your favorite "popular" celtic books? By "popular", I mean books that are not scholarly tomes. For instance, I kinda like what little of Frank MacEowen's stuff I've read. It's in no way historically accurate, but it's interesting.

And what are your least favorite? Besides that Witta book that everyone hates. I do own a copy, and am not about to burn it or recycle it (not that I necessarily recommend it to people), and I can at least credit it for starting my push to learn about more authentic forms of Celtic spirituality.

Karen

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: "Popular" Celtic Books
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 05:00:27 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;89591

What are your favorite "popular" celtic books? By "popular", I mean books that are not scholarly tomes. For instance, I kinda like what little of Frank MacEowen's stuff I've read. It's in no way historically accurate, but it's interesting.

And what are your least favorite? Besides that Witta book that everyone hates. I do own a copy, and am not about to burn it or recycle it (not that I necessarily recommend it to people), and I can at least credit it for starting my push to learn about more authentic forms of Celtic spirituality.

Karen

Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series got me really motivated to learn more Irish and british history. The Hounds of Morrigan was a bit of lighter stuff to help stop the wood from burning too much (if you like Harry Potter, you'll probably like this one).  And the Guises of the Morrigan is another one I like.

I hate that same author as you do.  I now can gauge a person by how they react to said author's work.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:02:19 pm by PhantomQueen »

dragonfaerie

• Master Member
  • Priestess of Caffeina
    • View Profile
    • Soylent Purple
  • Religion: Wicca & Druidry
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 05:09:47 pm »
Quote from: PhantomQueen;89597
Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series got me really

I've read the first two or three of that series. I need to track down where I am with those. Mists was a treasured companion through a lot of long, boring night shifts during my first post-college job.

Karen

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
"Popular" Celtic Books
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 05:30:37 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;89602
I've read the first two or three of that series. I need to track down where I am with those. Mists was a treasured companion through a lot of long, boring night shifts during my first post-college job.

Karen

I'm in the middle of that series right now.  I went all the way back to _Fall of Atlantis_, and I'm working my way all the way through the entire series in it's internal chronological order (as opposed to the order in which they were written).  I just started _Lady of Avalon_.

The differences between Bradley's and Paxson's writing are quite obvious.  Bradley's is much more nuanced.  Paxson's is closer to Ellen Hopman's fiction -- which is set in the same time period, but in Ireland.

I find that genre to be inspiring, even when the history isn't completely solid.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

PhantomQueen

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 06:50:43 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;89608
I'm in the middle of that series right now.  I went all the way back to _Fall of Atlantis_, and I'm working my way all the way through the entire series in it's internal chronological order (as opposed to the order in which they were written).  I just started _Lady of Avalon_.

The differences between Bradley's and Paxson's writing are quite obvious.  Bradley's is much more nuanced.  Paxson's is closer to Ellen Hopman's fiction -- which is set in the same time period, but in Ireland.

I find that genre to be inspiring, even when the history isn't completely solid.

That's why I like the series.  It's a springboard for me to go learn for myself and dive into my own in depth research of the subject.  Both the authors touch the surface, giving just enough to get us/me interested in wanting to learn more.  It's almost as if they intentionally put the carrot there for us to keep reaching out for more .  It'll be more worthwhile if we did the work in finding the knowledge instead of having it handed to us...

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »

Karen

I'm currently enjoying the Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne - very tongue in cheek at times, but his take on the De' Dannan is interesting.

Least favorite - well McCoy ranks up near the top but Conway is almost neck-n-neck

And yes, that's from experience as in my Wiccan days I did collect books from both and I'm a pack-rat - rarely throw anything away

Phouka

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:23:41 pm »

Karen

I've been reading The Lore and Spellcraft of the Dark Goddess: Invoking the Morrigan by Stephanie Woodfield. She does reference THAT author plus Conway near the beginning of the book but none of their 'historical' stuff, so I forgave her.

I also love Singing the Soul Back Home by Caitlin Matthews, which I am also re-reading. Next on the list is Fire in the Head by Tom Cowan.

Fictionally I loved Bradley/Paxon Mists series. In fact I think it's time to re-read them too.

wanders off to the altar room and library to pull more reading material.

Merin

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 03:46:55 pm »
Quote from: dragonfaerie;89602

Karen

I've read The Mists of Avalon, but I am currently re-reading it.  I've also read the prequel The Forest House which took me at least three attempts to get through.  I haven't read any of Hopman's or Paxon's fiction yet, but it's on my to-do list.  

Most of my Celtic reading isn't fiction.  I do enjoy the folktales, but I don't necessarily look at them as fiction.

Tags: