Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: New Patheos Column: "Loop of Brighid"  (Read 8033 times)

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
New Patheos Column: "Loop of Brighid"
« on: January 03, 2013, 10:52:34 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to announce my new column "Loop of Brighid," which will be appearing on the Patheos "Agora" blog every other Thursday. The first one is just a broad intro to Brighid and the different "flavors" of Brigidine veneration, but I'm going to go much more in-depth starting with the next one. Here it is, hope you all enjoy it:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/agora/2013/01/what-is-brigidine-paganism/#comments

-Gilbride

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: New Patheos Column: "Loop of Brighid"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 11:33:22 am »
Quote from: Gilbride;88863
Hi everyone,

I'm very happy to announce my new column "Loop of Brighid," which will be appearing on the Patheos "Agora" blog every other Thursday. The first one is just a broad intro to Brighid and the different "flavors" of Brigidine veneration, but I'm going to go much more in-depth starting with the next one. Here it is, hope you all enjoy it:

-Gilbride

Good start there, I've linked to your author profile and look forward to more on her, as she's one of the two I work the closest with.

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:41:16 pm »
Hi everyone,

-Gilbride

Looking forward to reading more!!

Emerald

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 07:56:42 pm »
Hi everyone,

-Gilbride

Ooooooooh that was you! I just saw it because Teo Bishop shared it on facebook, then I read it and shared it too. I look forward to seeing more from you. :)

SunflowerP

• Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:28 pm »

Belatedly picking what might be a nit, but I'm fairly sure that the Kildare nuns, however friendly and welcoming they might be to pagan Brigidines, are an instance of a Brigidine organization restricted to Christians only.  I mean this in the sense of, to be one of the nuns one must necessarily be Christian; from their website it seems clear that non-Christians are welcome in other aspects of the overall organization.  But the way you've phrased it in the article is unclear, and potentially misleading.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 12:28:58 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;89190
But the way you've phrased it in the article is unclear, and potentially misleading.

Sorry, I thought I was clear. Yes, you certainly have to be a nun and thus a Catholic to join their order, but I've seen videos of them blessing visitors in which the nuns referred to Brighid as a goddess and a saint interchangeably. So I meant that they were friendly and open in dealing with those who see Her as a goddess.

SunflowerP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 02:44:07 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;89197
Sorry, I thought I was clear. Yes, you certainly have to be a nun and thus a Catholic to join their order, but I've seen videos of them blessing visitors in which the nuns referred to Brighid as a goddess and a saint interchangeably. So I meant that they were friendly and open in dealing with those who see Her as a goddess.

Thing being, immediately before that you say you don't know of any groups that are Christian-only.

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Aster Breo

• View Profile
New Patheos Column: "Loop of Brighid"
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 03:23:45 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;89221
Thing being, immediately before that you say you don't know of any groups that are Christian-only.

Sunflower

I thought that comment was about flame-tending orgs (cills) specifically...?

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 04:04:44 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;89224
I thought that comment was about flame-tending orgs (cills) specifically...?

Yes, it was referring to flame-tending cills specifically:

"Smaller flamekeeping groups or “cills” may restrict membership to women only, or to pagans only. As far as I know, no such organization is restricted to Christians only or men only."

SunflowerP

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:06:20 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;89231
Yes, it was referring to flame-tending cills specifically:

"Smaller flamekeeping groups or “cills” may restrict membership to women only, or to pagans only. As far as I know, no such organization is restricted to Christians only or men only."

Well, I did say I was picking nits; I found the phrasing a bit confusing.

Though - do the Kildare nuns not tend a flame?  Or not use the term "cill"?  (Genuinely asking; I don't really know and I didn't find anything on their site that explicitly says they do use the term.)

Sunflower

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:03:37 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;89247
Well, I did say I was picking nits; I found the phrasing a bit confusing.

Though - do the Kildare nuns not tend a flame?  Or not use the term "cill"?  (Genuinely asking; I don't really know and I didn't find anything on their site that explicitly says they do use the term.)

Sunflower

They do tend a flame, but they don't appear to call themselves a cill or church- they're a revival of the early 19th century Order of St. Brigid, and they seem to consistently refer to themselves as an Order.

The largest flamekeeping organization is the Ord Brighideach, which welcomes both Christians and pagans, men and women. Smaller flamekeeping groups or “cills” may restrict membership to women only, or to pagans only. As far as I know, no such organization is restricted to Christians only or men only.

I do find the phrasing awkward here, as it implies that a) cill is an alternate word for a flamekeeping group, when it's merely the Irish word for church and b) that the Order of St. Brigid is somehow not a cill (even if it's not their choice term) because membership is restricted to Christians only. Just because they're willing to offer their blessings, etc. to non-Christians doesn't change the fact that their internal makeup isn't wholly Christian.

Also, can anyone recommend an edition/source for Cormac's Glossary? I'd never heard that bit about her name being used for any goddess before (well, from a reputable source, anyway- newage books will say anything!)
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:32:54 pm »
Quote from: SunflowerP;89247

Yes, they do tend a flame, but it's one continuous flame- they don't have 19 people taking turns, so it just didn't occur to me that people might see them as the same type of order as Ord Brighideach or the Cauldron Cill.

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:37:40 pm »
Quote from: Juni;89257
Also, can anyone recommend an edition/source for Cormac's Glossary? I'd never heard that bit about her name being used for any goddess before (well, from a reputable source, anyway- newage books will say anything!)

This question was raised by someone on Patheos, here is what I replied:

Sean O Duinn's recent work "The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint" quotes what I think is the Kuno Meyer translation of Sanas Cormaic on page 60: "From these names, the name Brigid used to be given to almost every Irish goddess." Whitley Stokes, for comparison, translates the same phrase as "from whose names with all Irishmen a goddess was called Brigit."

He then replied that O Duinn's translations weren't always reliable, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Kuno Meyer's translation based on the citation in O Duinn. However, it's certainly possible that the Stokes translation is more accurate.

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:45:38 pm »
Quote from: Gilbride;89285
This question was raised by someone on Patheos, here is what I replied:

Sean O Duinn's recent work "The Rites of Brigid: Goddess and Saint" quotes what I think is the Kuno Meyer translation of Sanas Cormaic on page 60: "From these names, the name Brigid used to be given to almost every Irish goddess." Whitley Stokes, for comparison, translates the same phrase as "from whose names with all Irishmen a goddess was called Brigit."

He then replied that O Duinn's translations weren't always reliable, but I'm pretty sure it's actually Kuno Meyer's translation based on the citation in O Duinn. However, it's certainly possible that the Stokes translation is more accurate.

Ah, thank you! Sorry to make you repeat yourself- I must have missed it.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Gilbride

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
Quote from: Juni;89287
Ah, thank you! Sorry to make you repeat yourself- I must have missed it.

No problem!:)

Tags: