Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Future: for you, is it predestined?  (Read 6305 times)

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Future: for you, is it predestined?
« on: December 31, 2012, 11:20:30 am »
Sorry for my absence in the Cauldron. That's because I've been really busy, but it has not affected in my spiritual life.

I'd like to hear your oppinions about the future. Is there any predestination, in your oppinion, to what will happen? Or does destiny really exists, but it changes as our behavior and actions changes? Or is it completely inexistent? You can tell other things related to your belief about it too.

Hope to read good thoughts :D

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Future: for you, is it predestined?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 11:59:06 am »
Quote from: Zaphaux;88257
I'd like to hear your oppinions about the future. Is there any predestination, in your oppinion, to what will happen? Or does destiny really exists, but it changes as our behavior and actions changes? Or is it completely inexistent? You can tell other things related to your belief about it too.

Welcome back. :)

To me, there's some element of fate and destiny in our lives.

I believe that everyone is born with their own. . . "copy" of a Shai (Shait, if you're female). Shai is a Kemetic serpent god, associated with the length of a person's life, as well as his/her fate, destiny, and luck. He's said to be "born" with each person.

A Shai can be good or bad. With hard work and some blessings from above, one can overcome, or at least alter, a bad Shai. So, a person's future isn't entirely preordained. There's some wiggle room in there.

I don't know how consistent my views are with the traditional Kemetic views, however.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 03:19:42 pm »
Quote from: Shine;88261
Welcome back. :)

To me, there's some element of fate and destiny in our lives.

I believe that everyone is born with their own. . . "copy" of a Shai (Shait, if you're female). Shai is a Kemetic serpent god, associated with the length of a person's life, as well as his/her fate, destiny, and luck. He's said to be "born" with each person.

A Shai can be good or bad. With hard work and some blessings from above, one can overcome, or at least alter, a bad Shai. So, a person's future isn't entirely preordained. There's some wiggle room in there.

I don't know how consistent my views are with the traditional Kemetic views, however.
So a shai can conspirate for the misery of one person? Since it is attached to the person, then, can't it choose to be forever "haunting" the person's life, even with the person not knowing?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:24:20 pm by Zaphaux »

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
Future: for you, is it predestined?
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 03:35:30 pm »
Sorry for my absence in the Cauldron. That's because I've been really busy, but it has not affected in my spiritual life.

I believe the future is the one we build.  We have inborn tendencies which can lean us n one direction or another, but the life we have is the life we build through all that happens around us.

More simply, life's a crapshoot.

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 04:22:04 pm »

I know this will sound corny, because it's from a movie, but No fate, but what we make!
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Siannan

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;88277
I believe the future is the one we build.  We have inborn tendencies which can lean us n one direction or another, but the life we have is the life we build through all that happens around us.

This!!  I think life is what you make of it....

Juniper

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 07:21:55 pm »

I do not adhere to the concept of predestination. To be honest, the thought of it scares the crap out of me. Not being able to change my fate? It would make me want to throw in the towel and say 'screw it; what's the point?'. If that would have happened then I never would have moved to the US from the UK (not necessarily a bad thing), never have married my husband (a very bad thing!) and would probably still be in the hell-hole that I was living in before I decided to "run away to America and find myself" as my mother likes to put it.

The concept of predestination, in my opinion, was a major factor as to why in the Western world during the medieval and renaissance periods the poor stayed poor. Their position in life was as God willed it, and to try and change it was considered a sin against God. I studied Renaissance British history in college and this was something that came up in conversation a lot. A student would often end up asking; but why did the people let themselves be treated that way? And one of the reasons was usually due to the hierarchy that Feudalism put into place, with God placed right at the top so that He could be tied into the system to help put fear into the masses.

*Pause*

I'm making this all sound pretty drastic, aren't I? I'm not actually saying that if you believe in predestination then we are going to revert back to feudalism...

I just went of on a tangent :p
"I\'ve seen fake gods, and bad gods, and demigods and would-be gods; out of all that, out of that whole pantheon,
 if I believe in one thing... just one thing... I believe in her."

~David Tennant as the Tenth Doctor

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 07:30:18 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;88277

Pretty much this.

Brina

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;88284
I know this will sound corny, because it's from a movie, but No fate, but what we make!

At least you're not quoting Avatar.  ;)

Brina

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »
Quote from: Zaphaux;88276
So a shai can conspirate for the misery of one person? Since it is attached to the person, then, can't it choose to be forever "haunting" the person's life, even with the person not knowing?

Again, I'm not sure what I'm about to say is in line with traditional Kemetic thought.

I think of a Shai as a person's destiny, fate, and luck wrapped up into one being. So, in a way, when a Shai is born with a person, it already contains the destiny, fate, and luck a person is going to have (assuming there's a minimum of change in a person's environment, behavior, etc).

Shai is more a personification of forces when attached to a person. (He's more of a god when considered beyond a person.) So, in a sense, it does forever "haunt" a person, but can be altered through behavior. Being that a Shai is so. . . personal, to not know it would mean you're ignoring the element of destiny, fate, and luck in life. Or that you don't believe in any of those things.

That's not always so bad, as long as you're not hurtling down a road of self-destruction. I know several people who don't believe in destiny, fate, or luck who worked their way out of a bad situation into a better one. They modified their Shai, even if they didn't acknowledge the fact.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Flame

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2012, 11:47:48 pm »
Quote from: Cryfder;88284

To quote the movie Brave, " There are those who say fate is something beyond our command. That destiny is not our own, but I know better. Our fate lives within us, you only have to be brave enough to see it."

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2013, 01:07:44 pm »

I subscribe to the idea of a cyclical nature of things, so I think repeating patterns and tendencies is all of what we're fated to experience, whatever that means for individual people/families/communities. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think there's any real linearity of time and no such thing as progress, so I'm iffy on the whole thing of there being some kind of big event that our lives culminate into and that is the defining moment of "predestination" as A Thing.

Anyways, rambling.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2013, 05:12:36 pm »

I believe that some (not all) people will have certain things fated in their life that they will never have control over regarding that event happen. I feel that these people have full control over how they react to those events, which will shape their resulting personalities, behaviors, and understandings. Aside from those specific events, I don't think anything is ultimately written in stone and unchangeable. But there is an inherent truth that the way you behave now will affect your circumstances, and the circumstances of others, down the line. I wouldn't call that "destiny," maybe just... common logic and physics (every action has a reaction, yadda yadda).

Fausta

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2013, 05:54:49 pm »
Is there any predestination, in your oppinion, to what will happen? Or does destiny really exists, but it changes as our behavior and actions changes? Or is it completely inexistent?

There's no true predestination, a set fate or destiny.

One is born with a set of traits, inclinations and tendencies, as well as a physical framework. Very simply put, our genetic make-up gives the basic physical potential and combination of nurture and health when we are young determine how well we "fill that potential".  Mental side could be said to follow the same basic concepts, but that is putting things simply and a tad beside my actual point here.

In very simple words: we each have a set of tools when we're born. Growing up and as adults, we are able to pick up (huge amounts of) knowledge, we can strengthen our weak points, learn to bypass our limitations where possible and learn to live with those limitations that simply are there.

Some things are learned and accomplished easier, others need more work, some things more work and some can't be done. One can either dwell on one's limitations (lamenting on what one could have been, if only...) or concentrate on one's strong points and living one's life to the fullest potential. Two people with same sets to begin with can end up in quite different places both mentally and as a whole, according to how they choose to act in situations and life choices they encounter.

My strong Thelemic side says, that one should try and find one's Own True Will and live accordingly. This entails knowing yourself, your actual strengths and weaknesses, what you need to strengthen more and what you need to keep an eye on in yourself, finding your place in the world and - actually living. :) This True Will isn't destiny, it required work to find and fulfill it. Destiny would come whether you did this or that.

Zaphaux

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2013, 07:16:04 pm »
Quote from: Juniper;88308
I do not adhere to the concept of predestination. To be honest, the thought of it scares the crap out of me. Not being able to change my fate? It would make me want to throw in the towel and say 'screw it; what's the point?'. If that would have happened then I never would have moved to the US from the UK (not necessarily a bad thing), never have married my husband (a very bad thing!) and would probably still be in the hell-hole that I was living in before I decided to "run away to America and find myself" as my mother likes to put it.

I know what you mean, and I understand you specially because I used to think like you, too. For me, there is a kind of destiny set up, but our behavior and actions gradually changes the line of it. Which means that if destiny has set up something to happen in like, 30 seconds, you can't change it so quickly, since destiny changes gradually (relative to the impact of the action) only.

Quote from: Fausta;88538
My strong Thelemic side says, that one should try and find one's Own True Will and live accordingly. This entails knowing yourself, your actual strengths and weaknesses, what you need to strengthen more and what you need to keep an eye on in yourself, finding your place in the world and - actually living. :) This True Will isn't destiny, it required work to find and fulfill it. Destiny would come whether you did this or that.

One of the things that I like the most about Thelema is the True Will. It's really beautiful, and I share the belief.

Tags: