Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Time to learn  (Read 2402 times)

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Time to learn
« on: December 02, 2012, 11:58:32 pm »
I've wondered how much time others spend learning and practicing, devoting themselves to the "homework" of spirituality. For very specific reasons, I find it hard to spend time reading about how to do X ritual or Y spellworking, to concentrate on my spiritual life with [insert life here]. Though I know that " a little a day keeps the funk at bay" I feel that if I can't devote full attention to what I'm doing, I shouldn't be doing it. That it'd be an insult to the gods to just "go through the motions" each day. I guess I'm wondering, how do you learn?

Do you sit down for X hours before bed/ in the morning?
Do you read and study your craft, or are you purely hands-on practitioner?
Do you practice your craft nightly/weekly/monthly/holidays-only?
Do you study on nights you practice, or immediately put your studying into practice?
Do you have a teacher to help you? A partner to work with? A group?
Were you raised in a spiritual household, or are you finding your way on your own?
How long have you been on your current spiritual path / working with the system you use today? How long have you been studying your current craft?

Thank you for your time and patience. I apologize if this thread's been posted before, but through my searching and browsing, I didn't see it!
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
Re: Time to learn
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:49:16 am »
Quote from: Inucirrus;83202
I've wondered how much time others spend learning and practicing, devoting themselves to the "homework" of spirituality. For very specific reasons, I find it hard to spend time reading about how to do X ritual or Y spellworking, to concentrate on my spiritual life with [insert life here]. Though I know that " a little a day keeps the funk at bay" I feel that if I can't devote full attention to what I'm doing, I shouldn't be doing it. That it'd be an insult to the gods to just "go through the motions" each day. I guess I'm wondering, how do you learn?

Thank you for your time and patience. I apologize if this thread's been posted before, but through my searching and browsing, I didn't see it!

Having to just go through the motions on occasion doesn't seem so bad. Most of us moderns are busy, we get tired, and often what's important is that we keep some semblance of regular practice/study/whatever you want to call it.

I figure just a few minutes of devotion to the Netjeru a day is better than none at all. Even five minutes of learning about them and the wonderful culture from which they come is better than none.

Maybe it's my Recon side speaking, but I find that "studying" makes me feel even more connected with the Netjeru. I feel more spiritual.

I try to read daily, except when life's demands make that too difficult. It's not really "homework". It's something I want to do because it helps me craft a better practice for myself and helps me understand the Netjeru better. I tend to hold off on putting what I learn into practice; it's better to get a bunch of different perspectives, then do something special with them.

Having a Reconstructionist component to my religion pretty much requires me to read and study. Putting together a religion based off of ancient sources is a "craft" all its own.

I don't have a magical craft. I come to shrine twice a day and give offerings to specific Netjer on specific days. Bast and other Netjeru will sometimes ask me to do things or get things for them. I try to comply.

Nope. Solitary. Which means a crap load of flailing. It seems to amuse the Netjeru on occasion. :D

Were you raised in a spiritual household, or are you finding your way on your own?

I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian household. After mum's ex-boyfriend hit the road, she turned into a non-practicing Christian and eventually opened up to paganism as long as I'm discreet about it.

My practice right now is characterized by a lot of stumbling. There's not many guideposts out here in the weeds, eh?

How long have you been on your current spiritual path / working with the system you use today? How long have you been studying your current craft?

Going on three years now. What's terrifying is I still have no idea what I'm doing. Don't get me wrong. I can do some rituals, know about the major Netjeru, understand ancient Egyptian conceptions of god, understand some of the morality. But I still haven't figured out how to worship multiple gods without slighting someone; haven't figured out how to make a sensible holiday calendar to honor the Netjeru; haven't even figured out if this is the right path to go down and am now recalibrating as I explore things like Hinduism (some sort of polytheistic derivation of Vaisnyava stuff).
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:19:20 pm »

I try to 'live' my spirituality, that is I may not study each day, but I am mindful ofthe gods and the world around me.  Since I try to learn something new from the world everyday, even when I don't study I am still learning. If you are mindful of your beliefs in the everyday, then there's no such thing as going through the motions.

Do you study on nights you practice, or immediately put your studying into practice?

I study sporadically, as I encounter the knowledge. If I purchase a new book or find a new website I may devour the knowledge hungrily, in long study sessions. I do read and study my craft, before I put it into practice, and I do practice my craft daily with small devotions and a daily or nightly divination, usually just drawing a single rune. If I learn something new in study I tend to mull over it for days if not weeks before putting it into practice, allowing my mind to fully absorb and develop what I will be working on.

currently I practice alone, though I have worked with covens, and other groups in the past. I also used to work with my spouse when we were together. I am currently seeking another group as I do enjoy group work.

My upbringing was definitely not spiritual, so I have had to make my own way.
I have been on my pagan path of spirituality about 15 years now.in that time I have worked with several magickal systems but the runes and earth magick have always been core systems that have remained central to my Craft.

Thank you for posting it. A lot of good questions.

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:07:23 pm »

I don't do a specific amount of time each day, but I like to at least take one moment in the morning to acknowledge the Gods and to put on my Thor's hammer.

I'm very reconstructionist influenced, so I do spend a large amount of time studying. I enjoy the study, and the struggle to gather information from dry old source texts. It makes me feel like a mystical ancient scholar. :3

By craft I'm going to assume you mean religion (because we're not all witches!) As I said before, I try to do a little something each day. But I do larger more involved offerings on a (kinda)monthly basis, such as taking part in the Cauldron Cill for Brighid. And every once in a while I realize "It's been too long! Time to spend some time with Thor" and then I do out to the woods and share a beer.

I mostly wait a bit to see if the information settles before I practice it. Sometimes the 'settling' takes months even! But I see no problem with studying one thing and then practicing something else directly after.

Nope. Solitary a-l-l  t-h-e  w-a-y. There are few pagans in my area, but the ones that do exist are more Neo-Wiccan than anything else. Fun to hang out with, slightly frustrating to do rit with.

I was raised in a protestant household and attended a catholic school. Daily devotions were recommended, so that idea wasn't new to me. I never really clicked with Christianity though.

I've been traveling this path for something like 3-4 years now. Maybe 4 actually. It's such a small amount of time! I know I still have a lot to learn and a lot farther to go.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 06:24:20 pm »

Nope. I do whatever feels appropriate... the big distinction a lot of newbie pagans seem to make I'm realizing is they get into this with the unstated assumption that you MUST be your own priest/clergy, and therefore have to do all that extra work. And that just ain't true. Granted, it's hard to not act as priest without access to one to go to, but it can definitely be done. "Living" your practice as a priest and "living" it as a pagan layperson feel totally different. Not saying you should do one or the either, but just letting you know that you do have options!

I do a lot of reading and studying since I'm a reconstructionist and if I don't dig for the information myself, there's no one to do it for me.

I practice when I need something (my relationship with most of the pantheon is based on barter), when it's a named day that's sacred to gods I'm closer to (generally 2-3 days out of every 20, depending on my energy and schedule), or, yes, when its a holiday.

I generally do my research and my practice on separate occasions.

No, no, and no. All I've got to go on is the word of archaeologists and distillation of modern folk traditions (which I don't emulate outright out of respect, but will try to work backward from them).

I was raised Christianish, but that more or less stopped after elementary school.

I've been studying Yucatec reconstructionism for... about 2 years now.

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 04:31:46 pm »

I do everything based on how I feel about it. If I'm not motivated to study, then I don't do it, because if I try to do something when I don't want to I won't put my heart into it. So when I have an urge to study my craft, I go for it. I tend to read things, although lately I've gotten away from books, and have been leaning more towards forming my own gnosis (I guess... not sure if this is the right word), because I decided I didn't want someone to make my spirituality for me. I don't really have a set schedule for studying, like I said, it's whenever I feel like it.
No teacher! I've pretty consistently asked for one, but the universe has a roundabout way of handing me teachers at unexpected moments and places. None of them are ever permanent, or really even craft related. They teach me more about life lessons. Other than that I'm usually on my own.
My house is technically catholic, although my mother has made it quite clear that my siblings and I can explore religion as we please, just as long as we don't join any cults.
And I've been on and off my craft for a few years, but this is the first year I've really started to take it seriously.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 04:51:03 pm »

My actual rituals are relatively short, 10-15 minutes at most, and mostly even shorter than that. Other devotional activities, like researching, writing, or even just contemplating, take more, of course.

Absolutely, reading and studying is a huge part of my spirituality.

I try to practice daily, but lately it's mostly "whenever I don't feel too overwhelmed with mundane activities". Which is not good, I'd admit.

I admit, I am not sure I understand that question...

I'm a solitary practitioner.

I'm finding way on my own.

My family is religious, but, like with most of their generation, being raised with Marxist, militant-atheist propaganda (and being subjected to a Christian propaganda over the last two decades) makes their understanding of religion... interesting. Aside from going to the church twice a year (Christmas and Easter), religion wasn't really an important issue in our house.

Around a year and a half, I think. My practice has evolved a lot since then, though.

Cirrus13

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 07:12:32 pm »
So many replies so quickly! Thank you all for your input so far. I'm currently stumbling around trying to fit my spiritual life in other life, and seeing how others go about it is helpful to me.

I'm also interested in how you go about organizing all of the information you find. Do you use binders, or journals? Tabs on the books in your library? Organization's never been my forte`, so I've been trying to get a binder started for easy additions and categorizing. So far: no luck. Hahah!

Quote from: Nachtigall;83479

I admit, I am not sure I understand that question...

I guess I mean, "When you do read something or learn something new, do you try to put it to use right away, or do you wait? When you need to do X ritual/spell/work, do you look it up and immediately attempt or use it?
Disclaimer: Anything I post can be classified as UPG unless otherwise stated.

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »

I wish I could!  My life's sort of busy and confused at the moment, because I'm trying to quietly work on some self-employment plans in preparation for leaving full time work next year.  Plus I have health stuff which affects my energy levels (hence the leaving work thing) which means I don't always have the "spoons" for study.  If I've got a half-hour before turning in, it's much easier to slump in front of the TV than to attack the Tain Bo Cuailnge, which I WANT to read but have been on about page 6 for the last three years.

Both.  I have a bad habit of not spending enough time on the prep and book-work before I launch into the practical, and that's something I'm trying to work on.

As needs, really.  I try to keep the offerings and flowers on my altar fresh at least every few days, and thank and renew my various house wards weekly.  (But I don't always get to it, because I'm basically a pretty bad housekeeper.)

I do readings, both for random friends and folk who ask and also for money, so nearly every night I'll be doing some divination of some sort.  There's a learning aspect to that, too - as needs I'll set aside some time to read up on divination stuff to make sure I'm still on track.  This is especially true for my Lenormand cards, because there's a very active Facebook group I'm part of which does a lot of discussion of card meanings in particular combinations, and it's good to keep across all that and learn from more experienced readers.

Usually separate - study and prep beforehand, practical things later.  Of course, there HAVE been times when I've had to stop a reading (I read long distance via email, so this isn't quite the disaster it sounds!) to quickly Google a tea leaf symbol that had me utterly stumped or check X's theory about the Bear+Clover+Anchor combination.

I have a wonderful, supportive and incredibly knowledgeable group which is a very valuable resource.  It's called The Cauldron.  :)

There's also the Lenormand group I mentioned before, which has some very good readers and deck designers who are very generous with their knowledge.  

But in the physical space, not so much.  I've always lived in fairly small, conservative places, so I'm used to being quiet about my spirituality.

My family's relationship with spirituality is quite odd, looking back.  We were theoretically Catholic although none of us had been baptised, took communion, or went to church until I started going to a Catholic school as a child.  But there was Christian prayer, often in German because that was my grandmother's first language.

Up my mother's side, there was a lot of folk spirituality.  We all read cards and tea leaves and some had a dose of psychic ability as well.  There's a lot of superstition, some of which is widely known stuff about throwing salt over shoulders, and some which seem to be either unique to our family, or relics of stuff that's fallen into obscurity, or maybe is unique to the part of the world we're originally from.

So, while my mother isn't particularly aware of my pagan practice - what she doesn't know won't hurt her, at her stage in life - she's quite open to divination and acts that can be explained as superstition, like leaving some oats or chilli out for the house wards.

Well.  I first did the flurfeh burneh Wiccish thing about 15 yeas ago, then lapsed, then graduated to something vaguely paganish about 10 years ago.  Sulis thwapped me maybe 8 years ago, which eventually set me on the path I'm on today.  But there were a lot of long periods of inactivity, missteps and thoroughly explored dead ends along the way.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:08:52 pm by Sulischild »

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;83505
I'm also interested in how you go about organizing all of the information you find. Do you use binders, or journals? Tabs on the books in your library? Organization's never been my forte`, so I've been trying to get a binder started for easy additions and categorizing. So far: no luck. Hahah!

Organizing information for the specific purpose of being used for reference later is sort of an art that's wasted on me because I've never much been in the habit of going back and rereading things (not even fiction). I do it sometimes, and so make use of highlighters and sticky tabs (those little plastic post-it brand thingies) for that purpose. For online stuff, I catalogue it on my blog. But books and journals are right out! I never reread those.

But generally I heavily rely on memory for these things. I spend a shitton of time thinking about... just about everything. I'm an extremely analytic person and my brain moves quickly, so it's almost as if I do "standards" based on what I've learned in my head after I've read it to make it stick better. I'll often write blog posts about how the recently acquired information relates to me specifically, and unpack it there, and that is a great way to solidify things in my mind. Refreshers are usually necessary after a period of time when it comes to isolated bits, though.

Emma Eldritch

• Staff
    • View Profile
    • https://rocknrollwitch.blogspot.ca/
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:48 pm »

No. I find if I say, 'do this every day!' my lazy nature rebels and then I don't do anything at all. If, on the other hand, I aim for every other day? I manage to keep a fairly consistent practice.

I'd say I do both in equal measure these days. I love to read - sometimes the problem is finding anything worth reading. There was a point when I was all theory and not enough practice - a sort of armchair magician, you know? That was not what I wanted to be.

Every couple of nights I am generally doing something. I try to keep on top of stuff that I consider an important foundation of my practice, and I tend to have work/experiments on the go fairly often.

It really depends on what it is I've read. For example... Okay. I was reading an account the other day of an exorcism of a girl's Catholic school which included goetic conjuration. As awesome as the account was, I did not rush home and create a magic triangle out of a carpenter's ruler because I know I just am not well educated enough on that subject.

On the other hand, if I read about a really interesting guided meditation or something, I might go ahead and try it out.

Nope. Very rarely I'll work with family, but frankly when that happens I'm in charge.

I'm not sure I'd say spiritual so much as I'd say occult-friendly.

Sixteen years, give or take. That's not entirely consistent, of course.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Time to learn
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 02:09:57 am »

I'm really undisciplined, which is something I need to work at. I try to do a short ritual honouring the gods once a day, and to honour my ancestors at sunset (when I'm at home then). I need to study a lot more, but I'm dyslexic and read all day at work, so I'm often too tired to do more studying at night. I have to work on this - it might be a New Year resolution to set aside an hour a day. I don't do much observing of festivals - my grove has rituals for them, but beyond that I may honour a particular god but that will be about the extent of it. I've got a new diary all set up that I want to create my own high days system with, using various sources and traditions, but that's going to take a while.

Recording stuff in an organised fashion hasn't ever gone too well for me, as I write in too many different places, including two blogs and two notebooks. The most successful thing for me has been an app called Springpad (Evernote would work too) where I clip webpages and scribble notes while reading things online.

I have two groups that I work with - one's a proper grove, whereas the other's a beginner's discussion group (we've all only been doing the Druid thing a year or so - I recommend beginners' groups for newbies, as you don't feel like you have to pretend you're an expert and you can ask deeply stupid questions without being glared at). I have a teacher I occasionally work with, but I prefer studying on my own, really.

I've been on a Druid path for a bit more than a year, although I've been doing the Celtic polytheism thing longer. I grew up Christian (several denominations over the years, but eventually settled on Anglo-Catholic for a long time). I don't feel a great need to draw a line under my Christianity, and still go back to church sometimes. It's all part of my spiritual journey, which is an unbroken line. Lots of what I learned as a Christian is still useful, from meditation and visualisation, to how to study and do devotions in a committed way. (I may have recently unlearned that last bit.)
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »
Quote from: Inucirrus;83505
So many replies so quickly! Thank you all for your input so far. I'm currently stumbling around trying to fit my spiritual life in other life, and seeing how others go about it is helpful to me.

I use blogs and cloud services like Evernote for journaling; interesting links and important quotes from the books go there as well. I also keep a separate notebook for hymns and rituals.

I guess I mean, "When you do read something or learn something new, do you try to put it to use right away, or do you wait? When you need to do X ritual/spell/work, do you look it up and immediately attempt or use it?

Ah, thanks for clarification. It depends, really; sometimes I may try a meditation or divination technique, or a ritual written for someone else, right away. Sometimes, when, for example, it's some new piece of insight concerning my god or my spiritual path, it may take some time for me to process it and incorporate it in my regular practice.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:42:26 pm by Nachtigall »

Tags: