collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: ADMIN: Testing Tapatalk for Mobile Phones  (Read 12525 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
ADMIN: Testing Tapatalk for Mobile Phones
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:27:29 am »
Tapatalk is an App for iphones, ipads, android phones, and some others to allow pretty access to this forum from a "smart" mobile device. Unfortunately, the hosts do not own one (and have no use for one) so we cannot test this. We do not even know if the app works on this heavily modded version of vBulletin.

There is a free version and a paid version of the Tapatalk app. Stay with the free one as if you buy the non-free one (currently US$3) and we turn off Tapatalk, you will just be out the $3. Please do not complain to us if this happens. (We'll just point and laugh at you.)

Important Notes:

1) TESTING. Note the word "testing".  We are testing this app. If it causes any issues, now or in the future, it will probably be turned off. Especially as the Hosts have no way to test or debug it.

2) You are still required to obey ALL FORUM rules (especially are quoting rules) when using the Tapatalk interface. If the Tapatalk interface does not allow you to do something that our rules require, don't use the app. If you get moderated for a rules violation that Tapatalk "caused", "I was using Tapatalk and could not do X" will not get you off the hook. (Note: I don't know if there are any such issues as I can't use the app.)

3) The app ignores some of our mods. Deal with it.

4) The Hosts cannot check the app out to see if the app is causing a problem. As I mentioned above we don't have a smartphone or the like. (Complaining/snide comments about our inability to do this will just get you banned as rude and annoying.)

5) Remember, the Tapatalk application on this forum may go away at any time.  The Lightweight style is also designed for use with mobile devices and although limited is far more lightly to remain as the Hosts can at least use it on their PCs.

NOTE ON QUOTING FROM ASTER BREO:

[Quoting is] actually very easy, once you know the secret.  ;)

Instead of using the menu that pops up when you tap the phone's main  menu button, tap the screen at the post you want to reply to.  That will  turn that post yellow and bring up a new menu.  That's where the quote  function is.  Tap "quote", which will take you to the same kind of  posting window as usual, with the linkback code and quoted text at the  top.  Then proceed the same way you would on a computer.

Info on Tapatalk (written by Tapatalk):

Tapatalk is a forum app on the iPhone, Android, webOS, Windows Phone 7 and BlackBerry. Tapatalk Forum App provides super fast on-the-go forum access to majority of the discussion forums that has activated the Tapatalk plugin.

Showing New and Unread Thread with Avatar and Number of reply:

Images are thread are converted to thumbnail and allow full-screen viewing

Ability to see Who's Online and what they are doing:

Ability to search by topics and posts:

Ability to upload images directly from Android and iPhone!:

Forum Moderation support:

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 10:35:34 am by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: ADMIN: Testing Tapatalk for Mobile Phones
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:47 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;272
Tapatalk is an App for iphones, ipads, android phones, and some others to allow pretty access to this forum from a "smart" mobile device. Unfortunately, the hosts do not own one (and have no use for one) so we cannot test this. We do not even know if the app works on this heavily modded version of vBulletin.

There is a free version and a paid version of the Tapatalk app. Stay with the free one as if you buy the non-free one (currently US$3) and we turn off Tapatalk, you will just be out the $3. Please do not complain to us if this happens. (We'll just point and laugh at you.)

Important Notes:

1) TESTING. Note the word "testing".  We are testing this app. If it causes any issues, now or in the future, it will probably be turned off. Especially as the Hosts have no way to test or debug it.

2) You are still required to obey ALL FORUM rules (especially are quoting rules) when using the Tapatalk interface. If the Tapatalk interface does not allow you to do something that our rules require, don't use the app. If you get moderated for a rules violation that Tapatalk "caused", "I was using Tapatalk and could not do X" will not get you off the hook. (Note: I don't know if there are any such issues as I can't use the app.)

3) The app ignores some of our mods. Deal with it.

4) The Hosts cannot check the app out to see if the app is causing a problem. As I mentioned above we don't have a smartphone or the like. (Complaining/snide comments about our inability to do this will just get you banned as rude and annoying.)

5) Remember, the Tapatalk application on this forum may go away at any time.  The Lightweight style is also designed for use with mobile devices and although limited is far more lightly to remain as the Hosts can at least use it on their PCs.

Check out http://www.tapatalk.com for more information!

I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that the Android version, best I can tell, is paid only. At least, there's no free version in the official market; I haven't checked the alternatives yet, because I don't have third party apps enabled.
A heretic blast has been blown in the west,
That what is no sense must be nonsense.

-Robert Burns

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:52:13 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;10485
I just wanted to give you a quick heads up that the Android version, best I can tell, is paid only. At least, there's no free version in the official market; I haven't checked the alternatives yet, because I don't have third party apps enabled.

Android users might want to take note.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Gelfling

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:12:42 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;10488

I have found Convo, which is described as "Powered by Tapatalk" and has free and paid versions.  It's clunky, but I can get to the forum with it and read threads, although I can't figure out what non-Euclidean geometry it uses to decide if a post is unread or not.  Best used to kill time rather than actually interact with other forum members, IMO.

comW

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:19:44 am »
Quote from: RandallS;10488

I found a free version on the market.

I've upgraded to the paid version, simply because its practically the only way I get on the board unless im off sick and with that degree of use ANY pestering becomes to much.
Steve - ComW

try and find me in the MUX. It does happen

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:09 am »
Quote from: comW;10544
I found a free version on the market.

I've upgraded to the paid version, simply because its practically the only way I get on the board unless im off sick and with that degree of use ANY pestering becomes to much.

Hmmmm, odd that I couldn't find it. I'm thinking I may just stick with viewing in my browser.

-Robert Burns

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 05:15:04 pm »
Quote from: Gelfling;10497
I have found Convo, which is described as "Powered by Tapatalk" and has free and paid versions.  It's clunky, but I can get to the forum with it and read threads, although I can't figure out what non-Euclidean geometry it uses to decide if a post is unread or not.  Best used to kill time rather than actually interact with other forum members, IMO.

I looked through Convo, but while I can read the thread, the only way to reply is via "Reply to Thread," which is against the rules here.

vBulletin does allow the creation of custom apps for individual forums, but I believe that is unfortunately a paid service.

-Robert Burns

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:52 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;10637
vBulletin does allow the creation of custom apps for individual forums, but I believe that is unfortunately a paid service.

A very expensive paid service -- it costs more than the board itself. The app really isn't all that customizable from what I understand, other than in the branding department.
Randall

rocquelaire

• Staff
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Gaelic Polytheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/her
ADMIN: Testing Tapatalk for Mobile Phones
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »
Tapatalk is an App for iphones, ipads, android phones, and some others to allow pretty access to this forum from a "smart" mobile device.

I'm using the paid version of tapatalk on iPhone and so far it's working well. There are some features that I have to access on Safari but I can read posts, reply to them with quotes and use PM so it's useful for the majority of things I do on the board and is a bit easier than Safari.

Ocelot

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:39:56 pm »
Quote from: rocquelaire;10650
I'm using the paid version of tapatalk on iPhone and so far it's working well. There are some features that I have to access on Safari but I can read posts, reply to them with quotes and use PM so it's useful for the majority of things I do on the board and is a bit easier than Safari.

Me too, I have the $2.99 version and it's been nice for reading unread posts. I haven't posted with it yet, only read, but I like it so far.
~<>~ Flame of light, flame of dark, working together, never apart.
Dancing in harmony, balance assured, dark absorbs so light may endure.
~<>~

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 07:17:34 pm »
Quote from: Ocelot;10653
Me too, I have the $2.99 version and it's been nice for reading unread posts. I haven't posted with it yet, only read, but I like it so far.

I probably have come across stronger against the paid version in my original post than I needed to. There's really nothing wrong with buying the paid version if you want to (it's only $3, after all), so long as you realize that Tapatalk could be turned off (or stop working because it does not like some mod we use) here at any time.  Basically, I'm just trying to head off complaints from Tapatalk purchasers if that should happen -- because I'd likely instaban anyone stupid enough to sound like they even thought we had some obligation to keep Tapatalk around and working because they had spent money on it. (And you know at least one person would do that.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:11:41 pm by RandallS »
Randall

stephyjh

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 07:58:39 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;10643
A very expensive paid service -- it costs more than the board itself. The app really isn't all that customizable from what I understand, other than in the branding department.

OUCH! Totally not worth it. Sorry :ashamed:

-Robert Burns

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 08:12:28 pm »
Quote from: stephyjh;10668
OUCH! Totally not worth it. Sorry :ashamed:

The vBulletin people are the ones who need to be sorry IMHO, not you.
Randall

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 01:09:12 pm »

The Tapatalk backend on our forum was just upgraded. As I can't actually use Tapatalk, i have no idea if this was done successfully or not.
Randall

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 01:21:01 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;15510
The Tapatalk backend on our forum was just upgraded. As I can't actually use Tapatalk, i have no idea if this was done successfully or not.

I've been using the paid version with success.  What should have changed with the upgrade?
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Tags: