collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Deity personalities - check on UPG?  (Read 7072 times)

Snowdrop

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Deity personalities - check on UPG?
« on: November 14, 2012, 12:21:08 am »
Anyone have UPG about gods who are serious-minded versus gods who are more humorous and self-deprecating?  

I've only in the past few weeks started making offerings to my gods, praying to Them, etc.  I've been really pleased (and actually astonished, really) with the number of Them I've felt a response from.  

One thing I'm worried about, however, is how seriously and formally They want to be addressed.  I think I have UPG from two at least that They wouldn't mind being gently . . . joked with, I guess?  That they wouldn't mind being drawn in cute or cartoonish ways, referred to with sort of kitsch titles, etc.  

I am also terrified that I'm getting the wrong impression and will offend Them something awful.  

UPG:

Both Brighid and the Morrigan come across as awfully serious to me; I can't imagine joking with either of Them.

Bast and Nebt-het are . . . not really serious, but a bit more reserved?  Both have been friendly but quiet so far.  

But Khonsu and Ishtar both seem a lot more comedic, and it's these two I'm worrying about.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 12:49:39 am »
Quote from: Snowdrop;80774
Both Brighid and the Morrigan come across as awfully serious to me; I can't imagine joking with either of Them.

The only thing I can help with is to say that, IME, Brighid loves puns and other kinds of word- and image-play.  Which is not surprising, given the Celtic love of those things.

Also, She has appeared twice in my meditations wearing a truly ridiculous costume:  Pepto-Bismal pink "neo-pseudo-medieval princess" gown and tall, conical hat with sheer scarf billowing from the top.  Think "little girl Halloween princess costume".  And it was clear that She did it for fun.  :cool:

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
Re: Deity personalities - check on UPG?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:53:40 am »
Anyone have UPG about gods who are serious-minded versus gods who are more humorous and self-deprecating?  

Can't help with most of the ones on your list, but your take on The Morrigan tallies with mine - very serious and focussed on whatever her project for you is, and to be treated with respect and deference.  She also turns up only when She has a reason - come, impart message, go.  She's always given me the impression of being quite busy.

In my experience Sulis is much friendlier and less scary.  I've also occasionally felt a light brush of her presence when putting flowers on my altar or cleaning, in a 'just checking in' sort of way I'd not expect of The Morrigan.

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 12:58:24 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;80778
Also, She has appeared twice in my meditations wearing a truly ridiculous costume:  Pepto-Bismal pink "neo-pseudo-medieval princess" gown and tall, conical hat with sheer scarf billowing from the top.  Think "little girl Halloween princess costume".  And it was clear that She did it for fun.  :cool:

Woah.  I once had a possible encounter with a deity (I was trying to contact Cerridwen but I don't know if that's who I met, and I still think the whole thing could have been imagination) who turned up wearing gold fantasy-anime-chick style armour and a purple cape.  I wonder if that might explain that... unusual... choice of attire.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 02:04:40 am »
I am also terrified that I'm getting the wrong impression and will offend Them something awful.

I'm boorish with all of them because I get enough pretense from the default world.  

Khonsu and Ishtar both seem a lot more comedic, and it's these two I'm worrying about.

Ahh, not to scare you but I do believe Ishtar (is that the same as Astarte?) was quite cruel to me. But she was laughing about it. Or, that might have been Anatu. I didn't stick around to make sure, I just swiftly moved my world away from Mesopotamia!

Astarte scared me. Very, very intense. I didn't become more formal and see if she mellowed-out, because I figured if she couldn't take me as I am then I'll find another deity who can and she can find another follower who can.

What you said about Bast? Reserved pending on serious, friendly, and quiet... that is my UPG of Manannan mac Lir. Solar goddesses, or maybe one solar goddess that checks in every once in a while, seem to like ambiguity so who I think they are / She is, tends to change... but I don't think I've met Brighit. Deities heavily polarized almost exclusively towards war, probably know not to waste their time with me ;) Oh, except that Thor dropped by but He was more in a laugh-about-everything-gimme-a-beer mode but I got the sense that He's not necessarily always like that...?
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 02:07:32 am »

I find Brighid and the Morrigan serious, but in very different ways. Brighid always seems to be the gentle, smiling type (to me), while tM seems very focused and intense.

I find Manannan mac Lir very humorous - he seems to enjoy a joke, which I perceive as correlating with his myths. And he laughs at me, a lot. But in a friendly, amused way.

Bui strikes me as often delighted, rather than humorous exactly. She's almost childlike, in my (quite limited) experience of her - but not when I experience her in an older, more intense, Cailleach Bheara form.

I like how different the gods are in terms of things like humour. It reminds me that they have personalities too - they're not some remote force, as the Christian god always felt like to me.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sobekemiti

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Per Sebek - The House of Sobek
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox, Witch, Scribe, Hem-Netjer, Sau Apprentice
  • Preferred Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:27:28 am »

Bast and Nebt-het are . . . not really serious, but a bit more reserved?  Both have been friendly but quiet so far.  

I have more experience with Bast-Mut than Bast, so I don't know if this will be especially helpful, but Bast-Mut is definitely much more formal of the two. She is more focused and formal, more of a Queen. I get more playfulness from Bast. She is a little reserved, too, but I just think that's a cat thing. You never quite know what a cat is thinking. ;)

I've heard Nebthet is very quiet and serious, compassionate too, but I don't have any first-hand experience of that. I only ever sense Her during the Lamentations when She and Aset are mourning for Wesir. I don't know what She's like outside of that period.
Sobekemiti | Hekatean Witch, Kemetic Orthodox Shemsu, Sobek Devotee | My pronouns are they/she

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:40:19 am »
Quote from: Sulischild;80779
Can't help with most of the ones on your list, but your take on The Morrigan tallies with mine - very serious and focussed on whatever her project for you is, and to be treated with respect and deference.

By contrast, my own experience of her is that she doesn't have the time or patience for long, involved displays of deference (and doesn't have much use for those who focus on their own unworth).

Not to say that's what you meant by "respect and deference", just that some people do seem to think the way to do that is to be all small and grovelly, and I've found her to be quite cranky about that.

Snowdrop, I'm not sure if my own experiences are useful here - my deity-interactions tend heavily towards the informal, but that's at least partly because I am really crappy at conventional reverence, and make it clear from the get-go that any deity that strongly prefers solemn formality and deference at all times probably wouldn't want me as a follower anyway.  Like any relationship, it all depends on the people (whether human-type people or deity-type people) involved and what kind of relationship works for those people.

Take those Irish ladies, who seem to tag-team quite a few folks - with one person, they might be very stern and serious and All About The Work; with another, they might occasionally show up as Bridie and Maggie, the Magillicuddy sisters, swapping bawdy jokes over a pint or two of dark.  (Veeeerrrry occasionally; it's more a running gag than an actual interaction mode).  Which doesn't make them any less serious (as in "important", rather than as in "solemn") about the Work.

IME, most deities don't roar, "Respect My Authoritay!!!" at their devotees.

(Now that I've said that, the Chaotic Canine is liable to try it on, just for lulz.  And lulz he shall have; I'll laugh at his furry scruffy ass.)

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 02:43:21 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;80789
... but I don't think I've met Brighit. Deities heavily polarized almost exclusively towards war, probably know not to waste their time with me ;)

:confused: Is that an accident of juxtaposition, or did you intend to imply that Brigid is "heavily polarized almost exclusively towards war"?

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 02:57:39 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;80796
:confused: Is that an accident of juxtaposition, or did you intend to imply that Brigid is "heavily polarized almost exclusively towards war"?
Nope, nope! I meant the Morrigan, since OP was talking about Brighit and tM. And I was about to type that war gods don't bother with me except the Man does kind of is sort of did...and so, that. :eek: (I call Manannan "the Man" just so I can say "You da Man" often to someone... and He didn't mind, so "reserved but not formal" is my UPG.)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:59:27 am by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

SunflowerP

• Host
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 03:21:50 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;80800
Nope, nope! I meant the Morrigan, since OP was talking about Brighit and tM.

Whew!  'Cause that was weird.

Mind you, there's a lot more to tM than war, too, but the relationship of her other stuff to war is closer and more obvious.

Sunflower

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 04:06:41 am »

I've only in the past few weeks started making offerings to my gods, praying to Them, etc.  I've been really pleased (and actually astonished, really) with the number of Them I've felt a response from.  

One thing I'm worried about, however, is how seriously and formally They want to be addressed.  I think I have UPG from two at least that They wouldn't mind being gently . . . joked with, I guess?  That they wouldn't mind being drawn in cute or cartoonish ways, referred to with sort of kitsch titles, etc.  

UPG:

But Khonsu and Ishtar both seem a lot more comedic, and it's these two I'm worrying about.

My experience with The Morrigan is that while She is rather commanding, She also is very practical - not much patience for overtly formal approaches, She would prefer getting to the point in a straight and forward manner, even in ritual.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 05:15:09 am »
Quote from: SkySamuelle;80810
My experience with The Morrigan is that while She is rather commanding, She also is very practical - not much patience for overtly formal approaches, She would prefer getting to the point in a straight and forward manner, even in ritual.

Yes. I experience her as taking a What are we working on? Well get on with it, then kind of approach. And rolling her eyes if I start with the very formal prayers or complex ritual.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 05:49:47 am »
Quote from: SunflowerP;80795
By contrast, my own experience of her is that she doesn't have the time or patience for long, involved displays of deference (and doesn't have much use for those who focus on their own unworth).

Not to say that's what you meant by "respect and deference", just that some people do seem to think the way to do that is to be all small and grovelly, and I've found her to be quite cranky about that.

Yeah, I didn't explain that terribly well.  I'm fairly blunt and to the point, so I don't do grovelly or complicated rituals with flowery language very often... but I do get the impression if I tried it with TM I'd get a 'just GET ON WITH IT already!'

Sulis on the other hand doesn't mind a bit of poetry or flowery ritual stuff, but my relationship with her is much closer, and much less formal, than with TM.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2012, 05:50:38 am »

UPG:

My personal experience with Brighid is usually in her guise as the Smith; as such she is earthy and can get downright bawdy at times

Mor Rioghan is much more serious, but very rarely she does show a bit of humor, though it's usually very dry and biting

I haven't worked at all with the others, my focus is Irish with a bit of Norse tossed in

Tags: