Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Offerings  (Read 3085 times)

sassafras

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Offerings
« on: October 11, 2012, 08:08:29 pm »
I read something about how it's good manners to leave something as an offering when you take something from nature...I like to pick up little stuff like stones, acorns, leaves, etc, and I was wondering what is appropriate to leave behind? I also like to go outside to meditate, especially by a stream or in the forest, and I feel like I should leave something by way of thanks...but again, not really sure what. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Offerings
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:23 pm »
Quote from: sassafras;76418
I read something about how it's good manners to leave something as an offering when you take something from nature...I like to pick up little stuff like stones, acorns, leaves, etc, and I was wondering what is appropriate to leave behind?

I don't have a good suggestion, except that whatever you leave shouldn't be anything that would be considered "litter". Probably obvious, I know, but given some of the stuff I've heard of Pagans leaving as such offerings, it obviously isn't obvious to everyone.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:39 pm »
Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. Research and get to know the ecosystem and cycles of the location you'll be giving offerings too. Know what are the native vs. invasive species and what their needs are. (Ex: don't leave birdseed if it contains the seeds of an invasive plant, don't water a plant that's going through a necessary dry cycle.)

2. Don't leave things that aren't naturally occurring. That includes candles, charms, paper, ect. Don't dump your crap and declare you're "returning it to nature".

3. Don't take something from the environment and then offer it back. (Ex: don't pick flowers and then give them as the offering.)

4. Things you could give: water, plant food, birdseed, fruit, nuts, grains, or other treats for the wildlife. Sing a song, read a poem, burn some incense for the nature spirits, but clean up the waste after and make sure you don't catch anything on fire. Pick up and properly dispose of trash, pull invasive plants, undo any disturbances caused by other humans.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 09:29:52 am »
I read something about how it's good manners to leave something as an offering when you take something from nature...I like to pick up little stuff like stones, acorns, leaves, etc, and I was wondering what is appropriate to leave behind? I also like to go outside to meditate, especially by a stream or in the forest, and I feel like I should leave something by way of thanks...but again, not really sure what. Does anyone have any suggestions?

When I've taken something from a living plant in the wild, as opposed to something that has dropped or something from my own garden, I've offered part of myself in return - usually strands of hair but, occasionally, blood.
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 10:32:03 am »

The general advice to leave an offering is usually for things where you're actually harvesting (as veggiewolf says...) Items that are already fallen/disconnected from the plan (acorns, fallen leaves) are a bit different.

When actually harvesting something, I usually try to leave an offering that will help a plant: water's simple, but I know people who, when they're going out with a plan to harvest something, will bring a small bottle of gentle/diluted fertiliser, for example.

Stones, I 'ask' them if they want to come back with me, and if I get a "Sure", that's good. Acorns/horse chestnuts/leaves, I generally assume do not particularly need an offering, though I may leave one to the general space.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Shefyt

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.firecat.net/lapis
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 10:44:18 am »
Quote from: Jenett;76449

Stones, I 'ask' them if they want to come back with me, and if I get a "Sure", that's good. Acorns/horse chestnuts/leaves, I generally assume do not particularly need an offering, though I may leave one to the general space.

*nods* If you feel as though the item is a gift from the spirit of the place, then it would probably be a good idea to leave some offering.

For living plants, I usually offer breath, or water if I happen to have it. (I've tried offering spit, but I can't seem to do it without being messy and gross.)

-Shefyt
I have not taken time away from the day;
I have done no damage to a beautiful hour.
--Megegi of Thebes

sassafras

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 05:03:30 pm »
Quote from: Shefyt;76452
*nods* If you feel as though the item is a gift from the spirit of the place, then it would probably be a good idea to leave some offering.

For living plants, I usually offer breath, or water if I happen to have it. (I've tried offering spit, but I can't seem to do it without being messy and gross.)

-Shefyt

I don't know if it's along the lines of it being a gift...but I do feel a presence, sort of, in the forest, and I want to show it respect, especially if I'm taking something with me.

Thank you to everyone who's posted for the suggestions. :) I'm just gonna copy and paste and make a list. :3

The only thing is, when you're leaving water as an offering for a tree, say, with a really deep root system, where to pour the water? I've heard right by the trunk isn't really going to reach the roots.

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 09:19:54 am »
Quote from: sassafras;76532

The only thing is, when you're leaving water as an offering for a tree, say, with a really deep root system, where to pour the water? I've heard right by the trunk isn't really going to reach the roots.

Root spread is, typically, around three times the branch spread, and the most active roots are within the top 3 feet of soil.  I'd say move about 10 paces from the trunk of the tree and you should be fine.

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

sassafras

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;76714
Root spread is, typically, around three times the branch spread, and the most active roots are within the top 3 feet of soil.  I'd say move about 10 paces from the trunk of the tree and you should be fine.

Thanks! :)

asdfghjkl

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:16 pm »
Quote from: veggiewolf;76714

I never thought of that before! Thanks for bringin' on the knowledge once again!

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 08:59:03 am »
Quote from: thorsvin;76764
I never thought of that before! Thanks for bringin' on the knowledge once again!

You're welcome!  My brain is full of leftover facts from university botany. ;)

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 08:17:56 am »

Just make sure you're smart about what you leave.

I always groan in horror when pagan books instruct to bury a silver penny or a sprinkle of salt. Salt kills plants and wrecks the soil for months - it's a good, if drastic, weedkiller. Why would you bury that in nature?!
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

Vitkyng

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 01:51:45 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;78618
Just make sure you're smart about what you leave.

I always groan in horror when pagan books instruct to bury a silver penny or a sprinkle of salt. Salt kills plants and wrecks the soil for months - it's a good, if drastic, weedkiller. Why would you bury that in nature?!
Agreed. I usually try to leave something that will help the spirit of the place where I have recieved the gift, as opposed to one particular tree.

Often a gift of labour works, like some time and effort cleaning up litter and other signs of the hand of man.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 01:53:12 pm by Vitkyng »

Silverlight

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
    • http://lianslalas.bloglspot.com
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 10:07:44 pm »

I'm a very simple person, and I always leave positive and healing energies as thanks before leaving. ^__^

Tags: