Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Pagan Etiquette Pet Peeves  (Read 19002 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Pagan Etiquette Pet Peeves
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:51:50 pm »
What bits of  Pagan-related etiquette do you wish more people paid  attention to, or were better known? I'm thinking things along the line  of "don't touch someone else's religious jewelry without asking if it's  ok" or "don't pester someone with questions about what their practices  are if they're obviously trying to do something else" or whatever.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pagan Etiquette Pet Peeves
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:21 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;76123
What bits of  Pagan-related etiquette do you wish more people paid  attention to, or were better known? I'm thinking things along the line  of "don't touch someone else's religious jewelry without asking if it's  ok" or "don't pester someone with questions about what their practices  are if they're obviously trying to do something else" or whatever.

Don't leave your non biodegradable  ritual leftovers at outdoor sacred sites.

That polyester ribbon you tied to the tree will take years to degrade if at all and if it blows off could choke wildlife.  

Aluminium tea light cases  don't dispose of themselves either. If you must leave it burning after you go at least go back the next day and clean up.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:24:19 pm »

Don't wish me a "happy [Wiccan holiday]" because I showed up to your supposedly "path-nonspecific pagan" meetup.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:24:51 pm by Maps »

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 06:51:08 pm »
Quote from: Maps;76134
Don't wish me a "happy [Wiccan holiday]" because I showed up to your supposedly "path-nonspecific pagan" meetup.

I think this is a specific (and especially annoying) case of my pet peeve: Don't assume every Pagan is Wiccan.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 06:51:49 pm by RandallS »
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;76144
I think this is a specific (and especially annoying) case of my pet peeve: Don't assume every Pagan is Wiccan.

Everyone's mileage may vary, but when you are part of a Facebook group that's for members to share their UPG, please refrain from constantly inquiring "is that in the Lore (TM)?" and belittling other people's gnosis constantly. It's a *UPG* group for a reason, not "Everything Must Be 100% Backed Up By Lore Group (No One Who Isn't a Harder Than Hard Recon Need Apply)".

Yes, I am speaking from personal experience.

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »

Dunno if this is considered "Pagan-related etiquette", but. . .

hands off my shrine. Seriously. It's all shiny and yay but do. Not. Touch. My. Shrine. Don't lay anything on it, either.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Dark Midnight

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 02:45:55 am »

Do not, and I mean DO NOT, tell me that I am 'doing it wrong' in regards to practicing my religion. My religion is not yours. I don't tell you how to practice your faith, so shut the hell up about mine! :mad:

*Goes away and takes a few deep breaths.....*
"No matter how dark the fur, the bunny is still fluffy." (Melamphoros)
AKA Thundercougarfalconbird..... (Thanks Nyktipolos!)

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 03:37:10 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;76176
Do not, and I mean DO NOT, tell me that I am 'doing it wrong' in regards to practicing my religion. My religion is not yours. I don't tell you how to practice your faith, so shut the hell up about mine! :mad:

*Goes away and takes a few deep breaths.....*

We Christians get that a lot, too.

OT: Don't assume that everyone who's wearing a given symbol as jewellery belongs to its associated faith (and that anyone who isn't wearing such trinkets, doesn't).
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Sulischild

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sulischild.blogspot.com.au/
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 03:44:31 am »
Quote from: Dark Midnight;76176
Do not, and I mean DO NOT, tell me that I am 'doing it wrong' in regards to practicing my religion.

And on this...

Don't tell me what my Gods think about my disability, weight, fertility status or perceived attractiveness.  They're cool with it, and it ain't your biz.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
Pagan Etiquette Pet Peeves
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 04:25:56 am »
Quote from: Sulischild;76182
And on this...

Don't tell me what my Gods think about my disability, weight, fertility status or perceived attractiveness.  They're cool with it, and it ain't your biz.

I would like to second this - and add that it's not polite to ask about people's medical history just because you're a reiki practitioner, and it's especially rude to tell me that 'being healthy' is a 'core belief' of Paganism when judging me by my mobility aids.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:13:20 am »
Quote from: Sophia Catherine;76183
I would like to second this - and add that it's not polite to ask about people's medical history just because you're a reiki practitioner, and it's especially rude to tell me that 'being healthy' is a 'core belief' of Paganism when judging me by my mobility aids.

This attitude that if you aren't in perfect health you someone have offended your deities and if you would just "get right with them" you'd be healthy again seems to be common to many religions. The people who espouse this view never seem to realize how offensive it is to others -- and likely to their god(s).
Randall

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 11:44:40 am »
Quote from: RandallS;76198
This attitude that if you aren't in perfect health you someone have offended your deities and if you would just "get right with them" you'd be healthy again seems to be common to many religions. The people who espouse this view never seem to realize how offensive it is to others -- and likely to their god(s).

Yeah, a lot of religions think this way--"uncle Ned is sick because he doesn't pray enough"--and especially folk religions. Granted, it might have something to do with lack of accessible medical care in a lot of poor areas, but still... it's yuck all around and seriously fucks people over with disabilities or chronic illnesses. And it bleeds over into things that aren't illnesses, like homosexuality and gender-nonconforming behaviors.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 12:30:41 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;76198

Reminds me of the Christian Prosperity Gospel heresy:  "If you were right with God, you'd be rich.  If you're poor its your own fault."

The pagan/occult version is "if you're such a great witch/magician/diviner why haven't you won the lottery?"
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 04:11:57 pm »

Not touching someone's religious jewelry is a biggie for DH. I normally wear mine inside my shirt, but he has a planetary talisman he wears that has been manhandled more then once by a curious by stander.

Please don't end your emails with "Blessed Be" while summarily telling me, or someone else, how to go fuck themselves and with what.

Also, interrupting an intense debate between two people with "remember the rule of three guys..." makes me want to punch said person in the mouth. Actually if one can't handle theological discussions, perhaps one needs to stay at home and fap to sparkly emaciated faerie pics on Pagan Space.

Ladies, stop assuming that because you had a bastard child by some black guy that we are "kin" or "sisters." You laid on your back with a bum, that doesn't make us related in any way. I am not your magical negro. Kindly exit stage right and get the hell out of my face.

And finally, don't try to talk to me about my "tone" when just 5 minutes ago some used up gutter snipe basically shouted down an entire room full of people because of her "hot Irish temper" with not a single person batting an eyelash. :stop:
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Raven Rose

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »

*Being told I have to follow the Threefold Law.
*Being told, "Don't mess with that, you don't know what you're doing" when they have no idea who I am, what my beliefs are, or what exactly I'm doing or any knowledge about what I'm about to do.
*The annoying attitude that everything should be love and light and never embracing the natural "darker" (I'm not talking evil here) side of life to learn and grow from it.
*And another one, only ever focusing on the Goddess and not the God when you say you believe in both (although I know there are paths that are specific to Goddesses).
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 12:55:29 pm by Raven Rose »

Tags: