Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: The Fae in human life  (Read 6260 times)

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
The Fae in human life
« on: August 29, 2012, 10:39:48 pm »
Inspired by recent relevant other posts...

I've seen quite a few posters lately talk about their unfortunate interactions with the fae. It seems that many people have experience with them. I grew up out in the country and for the past 12 years have lived in a large city -- and I've never had any such experiences. It makes me curious as to why.

Are the fae geographically restricted? Are there none rampaging around Michigan?
Are the people meeting up with them suffering from over-active imaginations?
Am I just so dense I don't notice the one tap-dancing on my head as I type this?

Any other theories as to why the fae are so prevalent in some areas but not others?

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: The Fae in human life
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Quote from: FierFlye;71404

Am I just so dense I don't notice the one tap-dancing on my head as I type this?

Entertaining concept.. :p

There are Fae around the cities as well, and everywhere. I've seen them in Wales, London, Somerset, Hertfordshire, Ireland, Iceland, Germany, France, Slovenia, Florida, and here in the suburbs of Minnesota.

They don't seem bothered by city v. country, and some do travel long distances at certain times of the year.

If you want to see them, I'd suggest setting up and carrying out events (miniature play-parties) and invite them to come along. Set up candles, shiny objects (costume jewelry, beads, etc.. doesn't have to be expensive or fancy). Create a little garden (I'd suggest to place it -outside- of the house) for them to hang out/reside in.

You may already see them, but not in the form you'd expect. Some can make themselves look like anything natural, such as a leaf, a drop of water, a puddle, a stick...

Put in the effort to notice, be aware of their sometimes mischievous (either intentionally or not) nature, and keep your eyes and ears open. :)

Dwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »
Greetings, FierFlye!  Dwayne, here!

It is my, personal, belief that The Fae can exist wherever they wish; however, they are very sensitive, and won't stay where they feel they are not wanted - and they have been known to abandon some people/places, altogether.  Personally - perhaps because I work Chaos Magic - I have a clutch of shadow imps that have followed me around for much of my life.  Mine come in two types: ones that skitter about, and look like overgrown spiders; and the second which slink from shadow to shadow, and have the appearance of cats in a variety of sizes.

Of course, The Fae are creatures of Nature; so that is where they are most comfortable.  Look for thickets - sit in front of one and meditate upon it.  Brownies and Sprites tend to like making their homes in thickets; and then throwing a glamour around it, to hide themselves from prying eyes ... but, sometimes they make a movement by mistake; and then, they are seen more easily.  Treat all Fae with the utmost respect.

Peace, Hope, & Bright Blessings!
Dwayne

I've seen quite a few posters lately talk about their unfortunate interactions with the fae. It seems that many people have experience with them. I grew up out in the country and for the past 12 years have lived in a large city -- and I've never had any such experiences. It makes me curious as to why.

Are the fae geographically restricted? Are there none rampaging around Michigan?

Any other theories as to why the fae are so prevalent in some areas but not others?
Peace, Hope, & Bright Blessings!  Dwayne:)

Dwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 12:40:14 pm »
Good Goddess!  

Is there nobody else, in this entire forum, who have had some contact/knowledge of The Fae; and would not want to help a senior member (FierFlye) in responding to his/her thread?

Is that how we treat each other here?  Forgive me for being too bold; but I embraced Paganism, for its Loving, Sharing Spirit!  I will not mention this again.

Peace, HOPE, & Blessings!
Dwayne

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seanchasfinn.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:59:59 pm »
Quote from: Dwayne;71794
Good Goddess!  

Is there nobody else, in this entire forum, who have had some contact/knowledge of The Fae; and would not want to help a senior member (FierFlye) in responding to his/her thread?

Is that how we treat each other here?  Forgive me for being too bold; but I embraced Paganism, for its Loving, Sharing Spirit!  I will not mention this again.

Peace, HOPE, & Blessings!
Dwayne

The lack of answers in a thread has nothing to do with "Loving, Sharing Spirit" or the lack thereof. This is a debate and discussion board. No one is required to participate in threads they aren't interested in or have nothing useful to contribute to.

Since you're new here, you may not be that familiar with board culture, and so you may not realize that there could be several reasons there haven't been very responses.

First, it's only been two days since she started the thread. It's summer. People are busy. Even on a busy board like TC, things tend to slow down during the summer, especially now when some may be heading back to school, others taking their last bit of vacations, and so on.

Second, there may just not be very many people on this board with answers to her particular questions, or who just don't feel like sharing.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 01:01:38 pm by Finn »
Fight evil: read books.

Blogging at: An Seanchas Finn

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 01:05:58 pm »
Quote from: Dwayne;71794

And frankly, I find it more than bold to come into a community you just joined and chide them for apparently not participating enough or "sharing" enough. I find it rather rude, actually.

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:11:21 pm »
Quote from: Finn;71798
And frankly, I find it more than bold to come into a community you just joined and chide them for apparently not participating enough or "sharing" enough. I find it rather rude, actually.

And they forgot to quote too, which is a violation of rules

Dwayne, also remember that most of our members are in the USA - and this weekend is a big holiday here - so many people may be away for the weekend - some start early - and not reading right now

And I agree with Finn's earlier post as well, some may not be willing to share experiences that are very personal - which happens to be my particular case

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 01:22:42 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;71799

Psst... It's a big weekend in Canada too.  And reminders to quote are mod territory.  We'd rather you press the report button than bring it up on the board.

I'm a little shocked too.  You don't come into someone's living room and start telling them off for not behaving as you would in yours.

Marilyn
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Rhyshadow

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 01:29:44 pm »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;71803
We'd rather you press the report button than bring it up on the board.
Marilyn

Mea-culpa

Dwayne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 02:06:11 pm »
And I apologize for not resubmitting ... I was trying to reply to three different posts; and didn't know how to include all three!

Greetings, Cauldron Members & Elders!  Dwayne, here! :o

I submit my humble apologies.  I was thinking of this as more of a "House" - quite of few of which I have held the title of Elder in - than a Forum.  And, seeing what I interpreted as a slight to a senior elder member, my old habits - as House-keeper.  I will sit in silence, without umbrage; and simply add my knowledge, where I see it being asked for.

Peace, Hope, & Bright Blessings!
Dwayne - a humble servant of Her Light

Quote from: Rhyshadow;71799
And they forgot to quote too, which is a violation of rules

Dwayne, also remember that most of our members are in the USA - and this weekend is a big holiday here - so many people may be away for the weekend - some start early - and not reading right now

And I agree with Finn's earlier post as well, some may not be willing to share experiences that are very personal - which happens to be my particular case

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:08:15 pm »
Quote from: Rhyshadow;71805
 Mea-culpa

Thank you.  I know you're just trying to be helpful, but it's one of those lines we like to be really clear on.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Finn

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2012, 02:27:24 pm »
Quote from: Dwayne;71809

I submit my humble apologies.  I was thinking of this as more of a "House" - quite of few of which I have held the title of Elder in - than a Forum.  And, seeing what I interpreted as a slight to a senior elder member, my old habits - as House-keeper.  I will sit in silence, without umbrage; and simply add my knowledge, where I see it being asked for.\

I understand that instinct. In a lot of ways, longtime members think of this forum as a home -- many of us have formed strong personal friendships and relationships with one another.

But it's not a social or support forum. And, the only "House-Keepers" (or even "elders" of a sort, if I am reading your right) are our Hosts and Staff.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 02:36:45 pm »
Quote from: Dwayne;71809
I submit my humble apologies.  I was thinking of this as more of a "House" - quite of few of which I have held the title of Elder in - than a Forum.  And, seeing what I interpreted as a slight to a senior elder member, my old habits - as House-keeper.  I will sit in silence, without umbrage; and simply add my knowledge, where I see it being asked for.

As others have pointed out, you have to remember that this is a forum where people visit as they can and even if they visit regularly may know nothing about some of the questions asked and topics discussed. For example, I've been a Pagan for many, many years, but really have nothing to say on the questions asked by the original post because I have very little experience with the Fae. They seem very rare where I am. But that says nothing about the US or North America in general. Rather than have lots of people posting "sorry, I don't known anything about this" posts, we just tend not to reply.  

This is also the last holiday weekend of summer in the US and lots of people left town sometime Friday (if they did not manage to get a few extra days off and leave earlier in the week) so the board is likely to be a bit slow.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »

I like Faeries. :p

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »
Quote from: Laveth;71484

They don't seem bothered by city v. country, and some do travel long distances at certain times of the year.

Interesting, I thought perhaps they were considered more country dwellers.

If you want to see them, I'd suggest setting up and carrying out events ...

I'm not interested in making contact, I just have a bit of armchair curiosity. Thanks for the reply.

Tags: