collapse

Author Topic: Travel Altar  (Read 7125 times)

Obsydian

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Travel Altar
« on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:12 pm »
I was previously a flight attendant, and am working on becoming one again.  This equals living in hotels, sometimes a different hotel every day.  
Anybody have any ideas of what could be done for an altar setup that's small and portable and doesn't take up much real-estate in limited bag space?
:confused:

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Travel Altar
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 10:28:49 pm »
Quote from: Obsydian;71214
Anybody have any ideas of what could be done for an altar setup that's small and portable and doesn't take up much real-estate in limited bag space?

We've had a few threads here about travel shrines.  Try searching for that term on this forum and on the wider web.  :)
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Adaire

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Travel Altar
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 11:22:05 pm »

Cigar boxes with pictures & images associated with your god/ess(es) work well, but wouldn't use a Cuban brand since you're in & out of the airport ;)

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
Re: Travel Altar
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:45:04 pm »

Hi, this might help you, I have purchased things from them before and was very satisfied with them.    

http://gryphonsmoon.com/Portable+Altars.page

Obsydian

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:58 pm »
Quote from: dragonflydreamer68;71238
Hi, this might help you, I have purchased things from them before and was very satisfied with them.    

http://gryphonsmoon.com/Portable+Altars.page

Thank you, and everyone else!  I'll check around and check this site as well.

Amethyst

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://aamethyst.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:11:41 am »
Quote from: Obsydian;71239

Seeing this reminded me that a small altar would be ideal for my situation at university, so I went perusing and have some links for myself and whoever else may be interested.

On TC, I found a thread about jar altars that could potentially be really cool: http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?1997-Jar-Shrines&highlight=travel+altar

I also found this very cool mini altar online, which is Wiccan but the idea is very basic, and I think I might try it.

Then there is this very cute one that looks very easy to make by hand except for the chalice.

I also really like the idea mentioned above of a cigar box or something like an Altoid box with printed images. Very easy, also something I might try!
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.//Serbian Proverb
The two most important days in your life are the day you are born, and the day you find out why.//Mark Twain
Member of the New Order of Druids//Greener Paths

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Travel Altar
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 07:25:31 am »
I was previously a flight attendant, and am working on becoming one again.  This equals living in hotels, sometimes a different hotel every day.  

Here's a description of my travel shrine:  http://www.ecauldron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3945.  It's post #17.  

(Sorry -- I'm using the Tapatalk app and I'm not sure if the link it gave me goes to that post or to the beginning of the thread.)

I've also been thinking about trying to do something with an Altoids tin, for a "pocket shrine".  I haven't figured it out yet.  One idea floating in my head is to use polymer clay to create mini objects or icons, along with stickers or pictures to cover the outside of the tin.

I think I could make something work with one of the larger Altoids tins.  The smaller size might just be too tiny.

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:38 pm »
Quote from: Obsydian;71239

I'm fiddling around with travel-sized icons and triptychs with my art;  is there a particular deity or image you are looking for?
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Obsydian

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:14:13 pm »
Quote from: NibbleKat;71372
I'm fiddling around with travel-sized icons and triptychs with my art;  is there a particular deity or image you are looking for?

I just looked at your art, it's beautiful!
I've always been drawn to Bast.

MarieBay

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:12 am »

I traveled a lot this past year, and I carried mini-altar supplies in my carry-on. Every single time I went though airport security checks, the altar had to be taken out and examined because apparently crystals and rocks look suspicious in scans. After the first time it happened I just kept all rocks on top and easily accessible. They never took anything, but this was all within Canada. I'm not sure what the reaction would be like in any other country.

ashleyzelda

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:43:06 am »

I've seen a lot of people doing traveling altars lately! I've seen some as big as a show box and some as small as a cigar box. If you look around online on places like etsy a lot of people will even do custom orders for you.
From what I've seen people actually keeping in them, it's usually like tea lights,  a few favorite crystals, a picture or two, some incense, and some small bowls.
I don't know if I helped at all, but maybe there's some ideas at least.

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:48:13 am »
Quote from: Obsydian;71375
I just looked at your art, it's beautiful!
I've always been drawn to Bast.

Well, let me know if I can help in any way;  I wouldn't charge too much for a simple, little wooden thing.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 11:51:19 am »

Not quite a travel altar, but I plan to make myself a set of prayer beads for this purpose - i.e. as something I could use, when I don't have the time or space to perform a full devotional ritual.

And of course, when it comes to making offerings, you don't necessarily need any altar at all...

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 07:24:11 pm »

There's all kinds of options.  As others have mentioned, small wooden boxes make for great travelling altars.  If that's still too much room, laminate some photos of your home altar.  It's easy to make paper/cardboard stands for them if you want them to stand upright, and they will still fold down for easy transport.

A slideshow on your phone of your home altar could also work.

I don't know what your airline's regulations are, but your jewelry could become part of your travelling altar.

You, yourself, could also be your travelling altar.  If you're just looking for something to symbolize the elements, the body works well.  I've done this many times.  At an extreme end, tattoos also make for a very portable altar.

So you really do have a lot of options.  Use your creativity and what works for you, your lifestyle, and your airline's reg's.  The sky's the limit! :)
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Oíche

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Irish Polytheism/Druidry/Initiatory Witchcraft
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:35 pm »

I put together my travel altar today so I'll post some pictures of it to give people some ideas :)

[attach=CONFIG][/attach] Here's the box :) It's 9 inches longs, 6 inches wide and 3 inches deep. It's wooden but fairly light.

[attach=CONFIG][/attach] Here's everything inside it. Unfortunately my blade had to be un-sheathed because the sheath was slightly too long :( But otherwise everything fits.
[attach=CONFIG][/attach] Here's everything that fits in (the bag is full of tumble stones) :)

Even with everything packed in it it weighs very little, it fits just nicely in the bottom of a small backpack and since it's wooden it will protect everything within. It also makes a handy altar itself.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 01:49:44 pm by Oíche »
'You're my friend, and I love you- but you really look like a witch!!'

Tags: