Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Re: Supermarket Witches by SirPalomides
[April 08, 2024, 09:49:17 am]

Author Topic: Do you believe in coincidence?  (Read 5295 times)

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Do you believe in coincidence?
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:26:56 am »

Personally, I don't.  I believe coincidences are a way for other beings to tell us to wake up or for our own self to tell us to wake up.

Either way, I don't think a coincidence should be ignored.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Do you believe in coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 07:04:57 am »
Quote from: EJay;71087

Yes. I believe that some things happen, that aren't caused by what we think or hope they were caused by-- that do not lead to the purpose that we hoped, that might not even have any purpose behind it, that we can't even give a purpose to... and I'm all right with that. A few are amusing, most aren't even.

But most of the time I think most people are actually very good at attaching significance to an event that will help them achieve a goal. Failing that, I very often like to think that there's some grand cosmic karmic plan or purpose in the end, even if it has a few springs loose, or something is slowed down by the jostling of co-creators-of-the-future human and divine. I look, as hard as I can, for the causality in what looks like an important correlation.

And I don't have a nice-sounding concluding sentence.
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:20:32 am »

Mmh.
No.

I think that coincidence in the sense of 'it just happens without any connection to something larger', does not exist.

But, I don't think that every coincidence is meaningful.
So everything is connected, yes. Everything that happens has a deep meaning, no.

The trick is to find out which is which.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

Personally, I don't.  I believe coincidences are a way for other beings to tell us to wake up or for our own self to tell us to wake up.

Hmmm.

I think coincidence appears to happen but is a way to identify the connections around us.  At the same time, I don't think every coincidence is a huge, meaningful thing.  

F'ex, if I am interested in connecting with a deity symbolized by crows, and I start seeing a lot of them once I become interested in that deity, the coincidence may actually point to something mundane rather than something profound.  There is a connection but, to paraphrase, it may not mean what I think it means.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:43:28 am by veggiewolf »
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »

No. There's always a connection of some sort. Because if my life was filled with coincidences, I'm going to be concerned! A lot like "the first time is a mistake, the second a lesson and by the third time, its a habit." (or however that saying goes).

I've ignored a few 'coincidences' and I should not have. I personally believe things happen for a reason even if there is no explanation.
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

fjfritz

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://divineguidewithin.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 02:58:41 pm »

No but I do believe in synchronicity. :D:

NibbleKat

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:57:19 pm »

I believe in both.  Sometimes, I think there are definitely things that are linked together for a purpose.

However, I think a lot of times, like Triple said up there, we simply just look too hard.  It's like how you can look at two flat surfaces.  Both of them will have a figure of a woman standing in 2-D on them.  

One's been painted, deliberately, and one's just a mass of mold that has happened to have grown in a certain way not because an otherworldly force created it that our minds make into something that looks like a figure.  Human minds try to make sense of things like this to help them through their everyday existence, and there's nothing at all wrong with that.

That's how I see it.  It makes it easier to think, "Well. My dog just got run over by a German car, and someone threw a strudel at me, and that guy who stepped on my toes had on a  hat sort of looks like it could have been made near the Matterhorn, so WHAT'S MY DEITY TRYING TO SAY TO ME?"  Than saying, "Man. My life is crap for no reason."

How does one tell the diff? I'm still trying to learn.
I do altar art, icons, and pagan art!
http://nibblekat.deviantart.com
Ask if you\'re interested.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 05:33:07 pm »

Yeah, I do. I think everything has the potential for meaning - but I'm also an existentialist, in that I think we give our lives meaning. Even though I believe in gods and such, it's really super important for my theology (and my mental well being) to believe that I have more free will than not. Anything can potentially connect me with the Sacred. Awesome. But I start getting squirrelly with ideas of fate or destiny, especially when they're personified too much.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 06:01:15 pm »

Not for a very long time. Although we may never be aware of the purpose or meaning behind those events, sometimes they're just teaching signals and a way for us to tie things together that need to be noticed.

dragonflydreamer68

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
  • Religion: druidism
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 12:47:38 am »
Quote from: Tana;71103
Mmh.
No.

I think that coincidence in the sense of 'it just happens without any connection to something larger', does not exist.

So everything is connected, yes. Everything that happens has a deep meaning, no.

very well said!

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:11:51 am »
Quote from: Tana;71103
Mmh.
No.

There.  That's a better way of saying what I was trying to say.

There's coincidences, and there's coincidences.

Some, tho, I just feel aren't a mere coincidence.  They're just too... coincidental!
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic & contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:15:40 am »

Yes.

Research shows that human beings are very, very talented at finding patterns in things where there are no patterns. It was probably useful to us at certain stages of evolution, but now that it's less useful, we're still determined to read meaning into everything. It's hard-wired into us.

And I think that's great, because it's something the gods and spirits can use. A lot of divination would be useless without that talent, for example. I find it helpful to use the patterns I observe as a kind of divination. But I try to remember that that's all I'm doing. Most coincidences are perfectly natural occurrences and not as statistically rare as we think - balanced with the fact that my gods are part of the natural world, of course, so could be part of them.

I used to think that running into an old friend on the London Underground was 'a sign from God' that I should do something with them (attempt to convert  them, probably, given the ideas associated with the god I believed in then!) - but now I know it was more surprising, statistically, that I didn't run into old friends there more often.

But I still find patterns interesting and useful. The very fact that I'm noticing them could be something the gods are using. I just got back from Ireland, where there were more references around me to a particular goddess than I expected. She's associated with the area, so it's not that surprising really. But she's not *that* strongly associated with it, at least in the form I kept encountering her in. She might have been speaking to me, but I'm keen to test that theory by seeing if she continues to be in my awareness. I think that's being responsible, not being rude to her.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

Euryalus

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 04:14:00 pm »

Yes and no.  While I believe that coincidence is one of the major ways the gods communicate information to us, (along with dreams, emotions, ideas, hitting people over the head with tree branches, etc.,) I speak from personal experience that when it comes to coincidence, not everything is some big meaningful message.  Sometimes weird circumstances arise without any reason.

Jabberwocky

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 09:42:52 pm »

I certainly think you can find a deeper meaning in absolutely any coincidence.  Some times, you have to look pretty hard though.
Your heart is a muscle as big as your fist.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 06:28:18 pm »

Let's turn this around.

No coincidence would mean that EVERY event that happened to EVERY person had meaning FOR THEM.

.... so how would me walking by knitting be a spiritual message for someone else?  Either I have the choice to be knitting while I walk, and choosing to go to place X, or I'm being controlled for someone else's non-coincidence.

That there can be meaning I don't see in things?  Sure.  But that everything has some kind of cosmic meaning?  No, because people aren't object lessons for other people.

Tags: