Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Do your god/desses stay locally?  (Read 4682 times)

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Do your god/desses stay locally?
« on: August 28, 2012, 03:14:43 am »
How local are your god/desses?  Do they stay within a geographical boundary?

I'm just wondering if they find proof of life on Mars--or not--with the rovers, are there different god/desses on different planets?  Are there some universal god/desses?

I'm nowhere near Hawai'i, but Pele shows up in my life even here in Texas.  However, I think she is earth-centered.  I don't think I would find her on Mars.  Don't know, of course, just a gut feeling, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find her on Olympus Mons, either.

Just wondering about different pantheons and how they exist in a universal vs. global context.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Valentine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: get free; get others free; make new life in the aftermath
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
Re: Do your god/desses stay locally?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 03:34:40 am »
Quote from: EJay;71086

I'm just wondering if they find proof of life on Mars--or not--with the rovers, are there different god/desses on different planets?  Are there some universal god/desses?

I'm nowhere near Hawai'i, but Pele shows up in my life even here in Texas.  However, I think she is earth-centered.  I don't think I would find her on Mars.  Don't know, of course, just a gut feeling, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find her on Olympus Mons, either.

Just wondering about different pantheons and how they exist in a universal vs. global context.

I think this is an interesting question!  My first devotion was to Kapo, and I actually felt a strong sense of locality with Her--that the further I was from Hawai'i, the harder it was to connect with Her, and that I needed special circumstances like thunderstorms or being in physical contact with the Pacific in order to make a clear long-distance call.

I think another planet would have its own Gods--not that our Earthly ones wouldn't be real from there, but that, if different countries can have different pantheons, if rivers and springs have their own individual spirits, of course another planet entirely would have its own.  I don't know how many or of what kind, with no sentient life there, but I would be fascinated to find out.
"Let be be finale of seem." - Wallace Stevens, "The Emperor of Ice-Cream"
"There isn't a way things should be.  There's just what happens, and what we do."
- Terry Pratchett, "A Hat Full of Sky"

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 06:54:55 am »

My Gods are active outside Greece, so I don't see any reason why They wouldn't be outside Earth. There are local spirits, sure; but the Theoi I see as universal, who may present Themselves differently (how do thunderstorms look on Mars?), but are still there. F.ex. even Gaia, whom many equate with Earth, I see more as a Goddess of matter in general.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 12:22:46 pm »

We had this conversation on AL awhile ago. Not about Mars, but how European heathens don't think American heathens can worship gods of the European land.

I have local deities that are tied to the land. If I went to a blot on Mars then those gods wouldn't be there. But the great gods of heathenry (Odin, Thor, etc) are tied to concepts and not region. If I wanted to write poetry on Mars then Odin would inspire me, even if Mars had its own gods for that, because that's the relationship *I* turn to.

Likewise, I'm sure Mars would have its gods of region and concepts as well.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

Well, it's hard to imagine Raven or Spider living or bothering with a place that has no ravens or spiders.  Maybe once travel is more common and Earth species start sneaking on board or being brought in, but for now I'd say my gods don't have much business beyond this planet.  Other gods and new gods, sure.

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;71098
My Gods are active outside Greece, so I don't see any reason why They wouldn't be outside Earth. There are local spirits, sure; but the Theoi I see as universal, who may present Themselves differently (how do thunderstorms look on Mars?), but are still there. F.ex. even Gaia, whom many equate with Earth, I see more as a Goddess of matter in general.

This.

If I can worship the Theoi hundreds of miles from Greece, then why not thousands upon thousands of miles away?

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 03:33:36 pm »

My main pantheon is quite emphatically Irish, and I live in California. They exist mainly on the spiritual plane, so while their presences might be felt most strongly in their homeland, I feel like they'd laugh at the notion of being unable to leave it.

However, the animal spirits I've contacted seem to need culturally-specific counterparts--the Grizzly Bear looks like the American species, but he's only a grizzly because "this is the closest we've got," with British and Irish bears being hunted to extinction. I asked if he had any connection to the American Black Bear, and he gave an uncharacteristic "NO. THEY ARE TINY WIMPS."

The Turtledove is also the European Turtledove, not just a "dove"--while American mourning doves are similar in appearance and connotation, she still says they're "close, but not QUITE right." And as the boar isn't native in the US, the Boar has also emphasized that she's the Eurasian Wild Boar, not an American peccary or a feral pig.

However, the Stag is fine with "any large, antlered deer (that isn't a moose/elk/reindeer)" because deer occupy a pretty similar cultural niche across the board. The Fox enjoys frustrating me with not answering my questions, so I have no idea whether he's American, European, Asian, or the news channel.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Alex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://rockofeye.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

My God has no pantheon and no 'homeland', so He is active where He chooses to be active and I don't see that as different from any other Deity/Spirit. It's very clearly illustrated with the Afro-Carribean religions--their Spirits and Gods came with them when they were brought to the US in slavery and have taken root here, as well as in Haiti, Jamaica, and anywhere else They please after sometimes originating in Africa.

If there is life on Mars, I don't see why our Gods/Spirits wouldn't be happy to go there, too. After all, more worshipers and resources are more worshipers and resources...

EJay

• Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 03:01:03 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;71142
Well, it's hard to imagine Raven or Spider living or bothering with a place that has no ravens or spiders.  Maybe once travel is more common and Earth species start sneaking on board or being brought in, but for now I'd say my gods don't have much business beyond this planet.  Other gods and new gods, sure.

Absent

This.

And it's interesting that you mention Raven and Spider.  Those are two of my totems.  My other two are Snake and Turtle.

But back to topic, I don't see them on Mars, either.

What surprised me with Pele was when I traveled through Arizona and went through the lava fields, unexpectedly.  It was a good thing.  She reminded me that she's always there, regardless.

That's why I'm curious.  I think perhaps some deities are local and some universal.
If you understand, things are just as they are.  If you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Sophia C

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://leithincluan.wordpress.com/
  • Religion: Druid, Celtic/contemplative Christian, Gaelic-ish polytheist, on a Mystic path
  • Preferred Pronouns: They/them
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 03:34:25 am »
Quote from: EJay;71255
I think perhaps some deities are local and some universal.

This is close to what I believe, too. There are some gods I most strongly encounter near the places they came from. Others are easiest for me to 'hear' around their associations in the landscape, but will spesk to me in other places too (Manannan and the sea, for example). And others are constant presences that no longer seem to be tied to the land - I guess they became more tribal gods than gods of the land, and went where their followers did. I'm almost sure I could experience Brigid on Mars, but with no water, would Manannan be there? It's an interesting one to ponder.
"We're all stories, in the end. Make it a good one, eh?"
- Doctor Who

MattyG

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 03:02:08 pm »

I would highly suggest that you read my favorite book, American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's all about what happens to the gods and goddesses when they're brought to America with the immigrants of their various cultures. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly sure that this novel was the thing that motivated me to pursue a pagan path. Not the exact same thing as the gods on Mars, but still an interesting perspective. I personally think you can bring your gods with you in your heart, though without the geographic and cultural history behind them, they would really be the same. The gods are universal truths described by local cultures. I hope that makes sense.

Gaudior

• Journeyman
  • Moladh Bríd
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Clann Bhride, Zen Buddhism
  • Preferred Pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 02:34:44 pm »
Quote from: MattyG;73167
I would highly suggest that you read my favorite book, American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's all about what happens to the gods and goddesses when they're brought to America with the immigrants of their various cultures. As a matter of fact, I'm fairly sure that this novel was the thing that motivated me to pursue a pagan path. Not the exact same thing as the gods on Mars, but still an interesting perspective. I personally think you can bring your gods with you in your heart, though without the geographic and cultural history behind them, they would really be the same. The gods are universal truths described by local cultures. I hope that makes sense.

That is a very interesting way of looking at it. Sounds a lot like Inclusive Polytheism.
I talk to plants.

Viv

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 02:58:37 pm »
How local are your god/desses?  Do they stay within a geographical boundary? Just wondering about different pantheons and how they exist in a universal vs. global context.

For me, my deities exist in a universal context. They go beyond the borders of their cultural origins. They go beyond the Earth's atmosphere. Just my personal feelings of course.
"As every cat lover knows, nobody owns a cat." ~Ellen Perry Berkeley

AKA: windshadow; hesperia

Lykeios Lysios

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Shamanism
  • Preferred Pronouns: He/him/any (Fluid)
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 05:03:43 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;71098

This! Although, I do think that many of the Gods are tied to the Earth itself. The Titans, IMHO, are more likely to extend beyond the planet. Still, I suppose one could look at Zeus as the God of all skies and Poseidon as the God of all oceans. Hmm, you've given me something to think about!
"Man fears the darkness, and so he scrapes away at the edges of it with fire." - Rei Ayanami
"Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate." - Zhuangzi

Cabal

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Belgae Polytheism
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 06:55:05 pm »
Quote from: Lykeios Lysios;122947
This! Although, I do think that many of the Gods are tied to the Earth itself. The Titans, IMHO, are more likely to extend beyond the planet. Still, I suppose one could look at Zeus as the God of all skies and Poseidon as the God of all oceans. Hmm, you've given me something to think about!
I believe that my Gods live wherever they please. I try not to put to many restrictions on deity.
"In Hell, everybody loves popcorn."

Tags: