Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: What the cards tell you (for lack of a better title).  (Read 2623 times)

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
What the cards tell you (for lack of a better title).
« on: August 24, 2012, 05:15:22 pm »
I don't know if this question has been asked before, but I didn't really know what to search for, and that's also why the title is somewhat vague.

So, let's say that you do a reading about what will happen in a certain situation, and the answer is not very good, sorrow, people falling down form towers etc. Now, you manage to avoid this situation. What happens next? I guess the real question is, what can you actually find out through a tarot reading? I'm a fan of the theory that a tarot reading can show you something that can happen at a certain time, but things change, and so you can change the outcome if you change your actions, nothing is static. But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?

Alex

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://rockofeye.wordpress.com
Re: What the cards tell you (for lack of a better title).
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »
Quote from: Haugatysja;70550
So, let's say that you do a reading about what will happen in a certain situation, and the answer is not very good, sorrow, people falling down form towers etc. Now, you manage to avoid this situation. What happens next? I guess the real question is, what can you actually find out through a tarot reading? I'm a fan of the theory that a tarot reading can show you something that can happen at a certain time, but things change, and so you can change the outcome if you change your actions, nothing is static. But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?

My belief runs similar to yours. I believe that there are many paths and our actions/inactions dictate which one we pick up and go with. I often find that the 'right' path flows a bit smoother than the path we pick that might not be the choice the universe/our Deities want for us, but we still have the choice to choose and fight through obstacles if we want to.

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »
What happens next? I guess the real question is, what can you actually find out through a tarot reading?

But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?

I read my cards to show me a bigger picture of the path I'm on, to see if I'm missing something. Of course the "missing" part can be the final outcome, but you can learn more about yourself and your situation. This is also good if you have an expected outcome, but what to know how hard it is to get there. Sometimes there are obstacles you didn't expect, or you're not admitting something to yourself, or you were having difficulty recognizing your strengths that will see you to the end.

For example, I've had some real difficulty with one of my room mates this summer. I couldn't decide whether to be a hardass, or ignore the problem, or something in between. I got a reading that emphasized the Emperor: hard control, but in a mature, kind way. It told me I couldn't be wimpy and had to take control of the situation and deal with it right away, and that in doing so it meant I didn't need to resort to drastic measures (like kicking people out). And I did this and the problem resolved in the best way for everyone. Definitely one of the best readings I've had. (If you want this in greater detail, let me know....not sure if I'm being too cryptic.)

So, it was pretty obvious when this reading was "over". Some others, like when I ask about my spirituality, are not so clear. I generally ask if I'm going in the right direction with what I'm currently doing, and if I get a reasonable answer, I keep going.

As for biting you in the ass: I suppose that yes, if you misinterpreted what the reading was actually about, a problem could come back. I've never had that happen that I know of.

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 08:57:12 pm »
But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?

If I dodged a bullet but had a concern that the problem is still lurking out there somewhere, I would do another reading as long as the first one has apparently resolved itself (even if only for the moment; after all, you don't know it's not over and done with at that point). There are various opinions on the "shelf life" of the outcome of a reading. Some say approximately 3-6 months, others say years (and there are timing methods to tell you that). But if the original outcome has been dealt with, I would think that the meter is re-zeroed and a new reading with a slight rewording of the question will tell you about the likelihood of a repeat.
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »
I guess the real question is, what can you actually find out through a tarot reading? I'm a fan of the theory that a tarot reading can show you something that can happen at a certain time, but things change, and so you can change the outcome if you change your actions, nothing is static. But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?
I think so, yes, but only sometimes so I wouldn't worry about it.

To my understanding, there's a school of thought in Ancient Greek mythology that says if you resist your fate, it will come back to you three times worse-- like Oedipus' father sending his baby off to die on a mountain, apparently would have prevented such a wide-reaching plague if only he'd committed to solving the incest problem internally. In Norse mythology, on the other hand, certain events are meant to happen, period, full stop. Ragnarok, for example, being so pre-ordained down to the tiniest detail -- I infer that this applies to everything in that worldview, even though only a few are worth mentioning. That all nine worlds and the tiniest things in them all fit together like clockwork. In that, there wouldn't even be the possibility of dodging fate, because even the efforts at shaping it are part of its shape already.

Personally, I think that there are some events that are less tightly controlled than others, others where the fate is "sealed" so to speak, and sometimes you'll get a feel for whether a situation is one or the other. And, of course, I believe there are natural consequences to avoiding something: perhaps it's gaining a chance to resolve the root of the problem in a more peaceful way in the future when things are less frenzied, or maybe the consequence is setting down faulty foundations upon which to build an enterprise that you'll then have more to lose because what was avoided was nipping something in the bud that would best have been nipped in the bud. You know?

Specifically to cards, I usually pick them out of a fan, because my default is to see the future as sort of wishy-washy with a lot of different currents. When the cards that I'm moved to pick, are so close together on one end that I might as well have picked them from the back one after the other, that sets alarm bells off for me that the course of events isn't something that my querent can truly extract themselves from. The presence of the Hanged Man also does that for me, and sometimes the Star except that I've seen the event that the Star referred to been delayed... for a long, long time. So long that I haven't seen the other side of it myself, but just keep getting the sense that something good was "supposed" to happen that didn't, hasn't... yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:22:22 pm by Faemon »
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

PetitAlbert

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2012, 08:22:42 am »
I guess the real question is, what can you actually find out through a tarot reading? I'm a fan of the theory that a tarot reading can show you something that can happen at a certain time, but things change, and so you can change the outcome if you change your actions, nothing is static. But, can a situation foretold in a reading still come back and bite you in the ass in the future?

I don't think I agree, but then I don't see the Tarot as a useful tool for predicting the future. As you say, just by doing a reading and becoming aware of future possibilities your decisions you make know might change, and thus any "future" you see in the Tarot is a possibility, nothing more.

So for me, the Tarot is about the choices I'm making now, and who I am now. That links to the past and future, of course, but I look at the past to change the present, and contemplate the future also to make decisions for the present.

I don't think I believe that life has these Big Fate Events that you Can't Avoid in them, so I disagree that your bad scenario is just hanging around waiting to manifest again because Destiny - but that is how I percieve fate and destiny, you may disagree strongly with this.

However, let's choose house loss as a hypothetical bad future (that's not me projecting at all, no sir, nothing to see here...;)). Even if I've managed to scrape rent for this month and kept the house, the underlying factors are still there (being in a precarious economic position).

So maybe the question you should be asking is - how did you avert the bad scenario? Was it a quick fix (like using your emergency savings on the house) or something more fundamental (like getting a really good job)? That's probably the best way of determining whether you've averted that future, or whether the factors in your life make it likely to manifest again.

I hope some of that is useful, and best wishes that the bad things don't come to pass!
"We all have something to learn, and something to teach."
30 Days of Magic: take the challenge now!

Petit Albert: This witch\'s blog
Book of Protective Magic by Albert - free 20 page bookzine download

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2012, 12:30:22 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;70717
I don't think I agree, but then I don't see the Tarot as a useful tool for predicting the future. As you say, just by doing a reading and becoming aware of future possibilities your decisions you make know might change, and thus any "future" you see in the Tarot is a possibility, nothing more.

So for me, the Tarot is about the choices I'm making now, and who I am now. That links to the past and future, of course, but I look at the past to change the present, and contemplate the future also to make decisions for the present.

I don't think I believe that life has these Big Fate Events that you Can't Avoid in them, so I disagree that your bad scenario is just hanging around waiting to manifest again because Destiny - but that is how I percieve fate and destiny, you may disagree strongly with this.

However, let's choose house loss as a hypothetical bad future (that's not me projecting at all, no sir, nothing to see here...;)). Even if I've managed to scrape rent for this month and kept the house, the underlying factors are still there (being in a precarious economic position).

So maybe the question you should be asking is - how did you avert the bad scenario? Was it a quick fix (like using your emergency savings on the house) or something more fundamental (like getting a really good job)? That's probably the best way of determining whether you've averted that future, or whether the factors in your life make it likely to manifest again.

I hope some of that is useful, and best wishes that the bad things don't come to pass!

I agree with this post.

I don't use the Tarot to read into the future, ever, because it is so fluid and so easily changed by the choices we make that it's impossible to really predict (or so I've experienced anyway).

As far as I've seen, it can only really give you an idea of what will come to pass if you continue onward as you are now.

Mostly, I use Tarot to glean insight into current and past situations. The future remains ever a mystery and ever an adventure. :)

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 01:42:08 pm »
Quote from: Unmutual;70717

This is sort of what I was trying to say, only said better than I did, ahah. :whis:

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 06:03:09 am »
Quote from: Phaedric;70570
If I dodged a bullet but had a concern that the problem is still lurking out there somewhere, I would do another reading as long as the first one has apparently resolved itself (even if only for the moment; after all, you don't know it's not over and done with at that point). There are various opinions on the "shelf life" of the outcome of a reading. Some say approximately 3-6 months, others say years (and there are timing methods to tell you that). But if the original outcome has been dealt with, I would think that the meter is re-zeroed and a new reading with a slight rewording of the question will tell you about the likelihood of a repeat.

Interesting. I'll try another reading, and if the situation hasn't resolved itself I will have learned something new about how the cards work.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 06:11:32 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;70580
I think so, yes, but only sometimes so I wouldn't worry about it.

To my understanding, there's a school of thought in Ancient Greek mythology that says if you resist your fate, it will come back to you three times worse-- like Oedipus' father sending his baby off to die on a mountain, apparently would have prevented such a wide-reaching plague if only he'd committed to solving the incest problem internally. In Norse mythology, on the other hand, certain events are meant to happen, period, full stop. Ragnarok, for example, being so pre-ordained down to the tiniest detail -- I infer that this applies to everything in that worldview, even though only a few are worth mentioning. That all nine worlds and the tiniest things in them all fit together like clockwork. In that, there wouldn't even be the possibility of dodging fate, because even the efforts at shaping it are part of its shape already.

Personally, I think that there are some events that are less tightly controlled than others, others where the fate is "sealed" so to speak, and sometimes you'll get a feel for whether a situation is one or the other. And, of course, I believe there are natural consequences to avoiding something: perhaps it's gaining a chance to resolve the root of the problem in a more peaceful way in the future when things are less frenzied, or maybe the consequence is setting down faulty foundations upon which to build an enterprise that you'll then have more to lose because what was avoided was nipping something in the bud that would best have been nipped in the bud. You know?

I was thinking something along those lines, more specifically about patterns and how we tend to repeat the same mistakes in life. So there's a chance that this situation is significant in my life in some way, but it can also just be a insignificant event, and it's impossible to know which?
This makes a lot of sense and gives me something to think about.

Tags: