Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Today at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Today at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: What's your Least Favorite Pagan Holiday -- And Why?  (Read 6610 times)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
What's your Least Favorite Pagan Holiday -- And Why?
« on: August 21, 2012, 05:17:00 pm »
As a counterpart to our long-running What's your favorite holiday? thread, what is your least favorite Pagan holiday? The (fairly important) holiday in your religion that you just can't get into celebrating like you believe you should? Why is this holiday a problem for you?
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Vale

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: What's your Least Favorite Pagan Holiday -- And Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:38:25 pm »
Quote from: RandallS;70092
As a counterpart to our long-running What's your favorite holiday? thread, what is your least favorite Pagan holiday? The (fairly important) holiday in your religion that you just can't get into celebrating like you believe you should? Why is this holiday a problem for you?

Imbolc

If I do decide to do anything in honour of the date then I go by the old calendar which does seem to fit the switch of season better.  I don't have much affinity with Fraidd so the other associations don't resonate either.

dionysiandame

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:44:15 pm »

I'd have to say the Thesmophoria. I just can't connect with the symbolism within the festival and it's probably because I don't have the same cultural connection to the holiday. I can't really say if it's my least favorite or just the one that doesn't really mean anything to me but probably should. :hdsk:
Writ, Ritual, and Revelation - Where I wax poetic about nothing at all.
2 Mallards and Thyme- Gastronomy, History, Odds & Ends
Become my latest obsession on Goodreads

He keeps me with all of his other pretty things for I am just another pretty thing in a long list of acquisitions.

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:17 pm »

Ostara. Even as a kid, I didn't care for Easter. In my pagan years, I just couldn't find a shift at that time of the year as strong as on any other holiday. Now, with my newly discovered emphasis on the Passion before the Resurrection, I think I can gain some better perspective.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 08:48:09 pm »

The Lemuria.  Hands down the creepiest holiday(s!), and the one actually gives me a bit of a scare.  

It's a Roman holiday, a purification ritual and sort of exorcism that takes place in the dark at midnight.  

Non-pagan holidays, I can't stand Valentine's Day or Saint Patrick's Day.  They're just so...commercialized, and it just grosses me out.  I mean, I know that all holidays are commercialized, but at least the ones like Christmas and Thanksgiving hold some meaning for me.  Those holidays, at least, make me think of my family and memories, while Valentine's Day and Saint Patrick's Day just make me think of pudgy, naked flying children and little green leprechauns.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

SatAset

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • Fiercely Bright One
  • Religion: Kemetic Orthodox
  • Preferred Pronouns: She, Her
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 09:25:42 pm »
what is your least favorite Pagan holiday? The (fairly important) holiday in your religion that you just can't get into celebrating like you believe you should? Why is this holiday a problem for you?

The Beautiful Reunion celebrating the marriage of Hetharu and Heru Wer.  

I don't really honor either deity.  My relationship with Hetharu is complicated.  I think She's awesome, but Aset is my Hetharu so honoring Hetharu feels weird.
I am the Goddess of Who I can Become. I mix the magic of the sorceress with the blade of a warrior. I walk the liminal pathways to see the face of the Goddess, both terrible and kind. As She stares back at me, I tremble in awe and ecstasy.  --SatAset

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 09:49:40 pm »
Quote from: dionysiandame;70106
I'd have to say the Thesmophoria.

I'm male so it's not my festival at all -- or I'd agree with you.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:17 pm »

Back when I was Wiccish, I'd say that Lammas was my least favorite... as in, I thought it was boring and didn't get it. Funny that I can totally appreciate it now that I'm a solid recon. :P

As far as old Yucatec holidays, there was one that was documented by Bishop de Landa that was a 5 day festival for Kukulcan that I have no interest in partaking in. For one, Kukulcan was a transplant carried down by the Toltecs (Itzas) (they brought Tlaloc with them as well), who is far more well-known by his original Nahua name, Quetzalcoatl. I respect the god/lord, just as I respect his other aspects, but Toltec culture is something I just can't really appreciate from this POV. The structure of the festival itself is something that I don't quite understand either... there's probably something that was lost in translation from when it was handed down from invader to invaded.

Lokabrenna

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:30:47 pm »

For me, it would be Ostara/Eostre/Whatever-the-heck-you-want-to-call-it, because I just don't feel like celebrating spring when there's still snow on the ground.

For secular-ish holidays, I'd say St. Patrick's Day (if I hear another rendition of "When Irish Eyes are Smiling" I will strangle the singer!). Despite being single, I don't mind Singles Awareness Day Valentines Day, because everyone gets chocolate in my house on that day, and my parents are embarrassingly affectionate every day of the year anyways.

Thorn

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:27:21 am »
I don't celebrate any holidays at the moment, but back when I was doing the wheel of the year, it would have been the equinoxes. [sp?]  I just never felt anything special about those days.
"Faith and and reason are the shoes on your feet.  You can travel further with both than you can with just one." - Babylon 5
Etsy * FB * Art Blog* Spritual Blog

Melamphoros

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 12:45:27 am »

I only celebrate (that is give it actual importance within the framework I'm building up) one religious holiday so I don't have much to choose from.

I was never one to give much thought to the holidays, anyway.  I spent most of my pagan years as a Hellenic Recon and never celebrated any Hellenic holiday.  Hell, I can't even name one which goes to show the extent I thought they were unimportant to how I do things.  It was a different story back when I was Wiccish where I actually celebrated the holidays, although only two resonated with me (Samhain and Yule -- today the Winter Solstice is the only religious holiday I celebrate).

Jesus saves, Allah forgives, Cthulhu thinks you will make a great sandwich.
My Spiritual Blog

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 02:11:42 am »

I honestly have a hard time getting into the "summer spirit." Something about summer just completely drains my focus and energy levels. So, the holidays beginning from the spring equinox to the summer solstice don't often get as much attention as the others.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
What's your Least Favorite Pagan Holiday -- And Why?
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 08:18:22 am »
Quote from: Laveth;70153
I honestly have a hard time getting into the "summer spirit." Something about summer just completely drains my focus and energy levels. So, the holidays beginning from the spring equinox to the summer solstice don't often get as much attention as the others.

Don't feel bad, I hate summer. Even when I was a kid and loved having school off I hated summer. I'm more of a fall/spring person (probably why I ended up born in November). Still currently trying to figure out how my holiday calendar is supposed to work, so I currently hate all holidays because they're making themselves difficult to celebrate lmao Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving are tricky because I enjoy the holidays themselves but not all the people and crowding that come with it. Always hard on the concentration in church too, especially last year when I was really losing interest in remaining a Christian.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Laveth

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 10:34:28 am »
Quote from: Aine Rayne;70172
Don't feel bad, I hate summer. Even when I was a kid and loved having school off I hated summer. I'm more of a fall/spring person (probably why I ended up born in November). Still currently trying to figure out how my holiday calendar is supposed to work, so I currently hate all holidays because they're making themselves difficult to celebrate lmao Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving are tricky because I enjoy the holidays themselves but not all the people and crowding that come with it. Always hard on the concentration in church too, especially last year when I was really losing interest in remaining a Christian.

Hehe well at least I'm not the only one! Hopefully you find your comfort zone regarding holidays. ^^

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »
Quote from: Vale;70098
Imbolc

If I do decide to do anything in honour of the date then I go by the old calendar which does seem to fit the switch of season better.  I don't have much affinity with Fraidd so the other associations don't resonate either.

I'm with Vale on this one.  Really, any holiday in the late winter/early spring hereabouts doesn't do much for me.  The weather is gray, cool (cold), rainy, and just plain grim right up until mid-June.  Every now and then we'll get a pleasant Beltane, but even that's pretty rare.  I do enjoy making candles on Imbolc-ish, but that's because it's so dark and gloomy then.

Brina

Tags: