Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Sefiru
[Yesterday at 07:44:49 pm]

Author Topic: Pendulums -- Suspended Rather Than Held  (Read 4938 times)

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Pendulums -- Suspended Rather Than Held
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:02:57 am »
Has anyone tried using a pendulum suspended from a hook or stand, rather than held in your hand, for either divination or dowsing?  If so, what technique(s) did/do you use?  What kind of results have you gotten?

I'm interested in trying this method to rule out my own subconscious movements.  When holding the pendulum, I usually get excellent results.  But I can't quite trust them, ya know?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

~ Aster
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Pendulums -- Suspended Rather Than Held
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:16:44 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;69469

I'm interested in trying this method to rule out my own subconscious movements.  

In my opinion this is exactly the point of using the pendulum. ;)
To translate between Fetch and Talker.

I've seen the 'suspend the pendulum from a stand' thing, too.
But I've never ever talked to someone who claimed that this would work.
And honestly, if I met one, I'd have a hard time to believe it.

What is it, that would bring the pendulum to swing, if not the subcon?
It's inherent will to swing? Naw... some 'higher Spirit Power'? The aura-something? :confused:

I mean, I rather trust in my Fetch than in my telekinetic powers. ;)

Of course you always - with all kinds of divination - have an error margin with it. That's the way it is. I have this with card or psychic readings as well.
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 05:12:03 am »
Quote from: Tana;69476

What is it, that would bring the pendulum to swing, if not the subcon?
It's inherent will to swing? Naw... some 'higher Spirit Power'? The aura-something? :confused:

I guess it depends on your idea of what's going on with pendulum use.

If I understand correctly, one theory is that the "diviner" is tapping into subconscious knowledge.  The other is that a separate entity is communicating through the pendulum.  Maybe there are other ideas, too?

I'm interested in exploring the second idea.  Can I use the pendulum as a way of communicating with Brighid?

Does that clarify my question any?

Tana

• Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 05:28:35 am »
Quote from: Aster Breo;69479

*nods*
Yes, I see what you mean.
In this case it would be the deity moving the pendulum, without your subconscious interfering.

My theory about these things is, that our subcon - the Fetch - is in communication with the divine and I can tap into the knowledge and wisdom via the Fetch. I don't think the pendulum moves on its own accord, or is moved by a thing/being/entity separated from me.

I have a clear crystal pendulum on my shrine for divine communication, admitted I don't use it a lot. The error margin is of course huge in such matters.

Wishing you luck with this experiement, let me know how it goes! :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 05:29:05 am by Tana »
\'You had to repay, good or bad. There was more than one type of obligation.
That’s what people never really understood.….Things had to balance.
You couldn’t set out to be a good witch or a bad witch. It never worked out for long.
All you could try to be was a witch, as hard as you could.\'
Terry Pratchett \'Lords and Ladies\'

Confuzzled and proud. :p

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 11:51:06 am »

I'm interested in exploring the second idea.

Ooh, me too!

I can see a certain amount of problems with this method, too. Like, is someone walking around vibrating the floor which then shakes the table the pendulum is set up on, etc. but I think it's worth experimenting with!

Thanks for the idea, Aster! Hmm... now to find some sort of stand...

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »
Quote from: Catherine;69506
Ooh, me too!

I can see a certain amount of problems with this method, too. Like, is someone walking around vibrating the floor which then shakes the table the pendulum is set up on, etc. but I think it's worth experimenting with!

Thanks for the idea, Aster! Hmm... now to find some sort of stand...

I know I can never completely rule out the various mundane reasons for the pendulum to swing.  But I think it's not terribly likely for random vibrations to cause sustained movement -- especially the kind of movement that changes from "yes" to "no" clearly and appropriately.

I'm thinking of making a stand that is similar to those decorative stands people use for displaying special Christmas tree ornaments.  I'll probably start by rigging something out of a wire coat hanger.  If that works, and I get results, maybe I'll try to make something prettier later.

I know of at least one person who uses this method with good results, and I'm intrigued.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:53:32 pm »
Has anyone tried using a pendulum suspended from a hook or stand, rather than held in your hand, for either divination or dowsing?  If so, what technique(s) did/do you use?  What kind of results have you gotten?

None that were meaningful. Without the connection to me, nothing seems to happen.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

OfThespiae

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oddmodout.com
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:47 pm »
I guess it depends on your idea of what's going on with pendulum use.

If I understand correctly, one theory is that the "diviner" is tapping into subconscious knowledge.  The other is that a separate entity is communicating through the pendulum.  Maybe there are other ideas, too?

I'm interested in exploring the second idea.  Can I use the pendulum as a way of communicating with Brighid?

I've always thought it was a combination of the two:  The spirit is using your subconscious mind to create the slight movements to communicate through the pendulum.  Doesn't seem too far-fetched, to me. [shrugs]

I've never heard of this "suspend it from a stand" thing before, and it just seems counter-intuitive to how I know dowsing to work, if you ask me.  I wouldn't use a shape recognition software to aid in tasseomancy, either; it's what the mind thinks it sees that matters, not what's actually there.  That's just how divination works.

Charlie Dee

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 07:08:11 pm »
I'm interested in trying this method to rule out my own subconscious movements.  When holding the pendulum, I usually get excellent results.  But I can't quite trust them, ya know?

From what I understand, your muscles react to your subconscious mind and the pendulum is just an instrument to amplify these very minute movements. If anything, I'd trust my subconscious movements more than anythig

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:53:35 pm »
Quote from: Charlie Dee;69579

It's interesting how differently people look at this.  

I think my inner skeptic is just too loud to let me trust my own subconscious movements.  It's too easy to get the answers I want.

I know it's possible to twist any divination method, but I feel more confident with methods like ogham and Le Normand cards.  It feels more objective to me, even though I'm interpreting the cards/stones.

*shrug*

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to give the suspended pendulum technique a try, once I make a stand of some kind.  Who knows -- maybe it'll even work...  ;)

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »
Quote from: Aster Breo;69597
Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to give the suspended pendulum technique a try, once I make a stand of some kind.  Who knows -- maybe it'll even work...  ;)

It works for some people -- just not for me.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »
 I'm going to give the suspended pendulum technique a try, once I make a stand of some kind.  Who knows -- maybe it'll even work...  ;)

I have an experience with a pendulum and a stand. I could not get it to move with my mind and I really tried. I was 10-11 and my mother wanted to experiment with telekinesis and spirit communication.

Telekinesis was a bust, but the thing did move after I begged for a spirit (we thought we had two in the house) to help a girl out. I was in pain and couldn't refocus my eyes after trying to move that thing with my mind. I sat back away and nearly cried from the pain and asked for help. It could have been the house settling or some lost gust of wind from the ancient heating ducts, but it moved. I had a witness come in and take a look and I hit the sack to tend to my head.

Far from scientific, but to this day I hate pendulums and I love spirits.

Charlie Dee

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 04:24:41 am »
I think my inner skeptic is just too loud to let me trust my own subconscious movements.  It's too easy to get the answers I want.

I know it's possible to twist any divination method, but I feel more confident with methods like ogham and Le Normand cards.  It feels more objective to me, even though I'm interpreting the cards/stones.

Yeah I don't blame ya, I was a bit skeptic at first but you have to ask yourself certain questions because if there's an answer you truely want, you'll probably get it because it's imbedded that deep. Who knows, pendulums may not be your thing.

OfThespiae

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://www.oddmodout.com
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 09:57:40 am »
It's interesting how differently people look at this.  

*shrug*

Oddly, that's one of the reasons I don't trust cartomancy or various alphabet tiles as much as hydroscrying, tasseomancy, or dowsing.  I say "oddly" because I do have an inherently sceptical nature, perhaps highly so, if you think about it :D: but I figure, even if it *is* only coming from myself, isn't it better to trust my own "inner voice", even if I choose to call it something else and believe it exists outside of myself, than to trust something relatively random, in comparison?  If not, I might as well consult a tank of dolphins with a bunch of rubber balls.  Now, I'm warming up to cards and tiles with age, so clearly I do think they have a purpose in divination, I just think the benefits are strongly in favour of less concrete and "objective" methods for the reasons I've offered.

Of course, my bias may simply lie in the fact that I've been reading tea/coffee, and consulting pendulums and bowls of water since I was a teen, so well over a decade now, and I'm just inserting logic around what I'm inexplicably comfortable with and claiming it's experience.  The beauty of it is that I may never know for certain, and nobody else ever really could. ;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:00:48 am by OfThespiae »

Catherine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:46 am »
Quote from: youngsoulrebel;69576
I've always thought it was a combination of the two:  The spirit is using your subconscious mind to create the slight movements to communicate through the pendulum.  Doesn't seem too far-fetched, to me. [shrugs]

It's not that it seems far fetched. It's that if the answers are all coming from my own mind, there's really no point in trying to do any divination work for myself. It seems too easy to get the answer I'm hoping for.

Also, I'm not in the habit of letting random spirits into my head. The idea of something in there tinkering around and controlling my physical movements in some way, kind of creeps me out. I have shields to prevent that sort of thing.

I've never heard of this "suspend it from a stand" thing before, and it just seems counter-intuitive to how I know dowsing to work, if you ask me.  I wouldn't use a shape recognition software to aid in tasseomancy, either; it's what the mind thinks it sees that matters, not what's actually there.  That's just how divination works.

I don't think anyone can say, definitively, how divination works for all people, in all circumstances, across the board. I think it's within the realm of possibility that different methods could work in different ways for different people. Just like any other form of magic.

Tags: