Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Virginity and Religion  (Read 6781 times)

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Virginity and Religion
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:24:23 pm »
[Hoping this is the right place to post this]

I've heard the "virgin until marriage" and "virgin for religious reasons" many times. I know the Christian faith really pushes it, I can remember a youth group lecture or two. Which other religions have a similar concept? Are the various pagan paths the only religions that actually accept sexuality for what it is and don't use teachings of fear, guilt and shame to mask it?

Any other thoughts?
Jinx or Jinxy :)
Add a dash of folklore, a few centuries of farmer\'s blood and mix well.
[/B]

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Virginity and Religion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:34 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;69418

I've heard the "virgin until marriage" and "virgin for religious reasons" many times. I know the Christian faith really pushes it, I can remember a youth group lecture or two. Which other religions have a similar concept? Are the various pagan paths the only religions that actually accept sexuality for what it is and don't use teachings of fear, guilt and shame to mask it?

Any other thoughts?

Aside from what is being discussed in this thread, one could also consider the Vestal virgin priestesses.

Also, are you suggesting that the only reasons one may choose to abstain from sexual relationships are "fear, guilt and shame"?

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 04:33:50 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;69419
Aside from what is being discussed in this thread, one could also consider the Vestal virgin priestesses.

Also, are you suggesting that the only reasons one may choose to abstain from sexual relationships are "fear, guilt and shame"?

Thanks for the link!

Certainly not, there are lots of reasons. I meant more that what we would get told in youth group would use that, without giving more valid reasons.
[/B]

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 05:11:54 pm »
Which other religions have a similar concept?

Islam (look up 'honour killings'), Judaism, Hinduism (very ironic, considering so much of their mythology, and a prime example of talking the talk but not walking the walk), Sikhism, even Buddhism (celibacy makes for less attachment). Local culture has a lot to do with how rigidly the rules are enforced, but they are there.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 06:14:53 pm »

Any other thoughts?

Virginity before marriage was a practical stance in a lot of religions/cultures.

I also wouldn't say that as a modern heathen that I'm more "open or free" with sexuality. I'll certainly put the fear of STD's and pregnancies into my kids. Keep it in your pants until your mature and have a financially secure lifestyle. Unrealistic, maybe, but that's my job as a parent. *:p

*To clarify, they have to know my stance, but I also need to provide education on prevention and precautions for the reality. But I don't need to say it's fine if they are active.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:19:49 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 06:29:24 pm »

Any other thoughts?

In a patrilinial or patriarchal society it gave women bargaining power. No sex unless you marry me on the chance that I might become pregnant.

In a matriarchal or matrilinial society the men who slept with a woman had no obligation to support her and her kids; that was left to her brother although the only societies that I'm aware of were much more communal so it might not have been much of an issue.

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 10:26:27 pm »

Any other thoughts?

I'm a little confused on the question. Are you asking about the pagan religion's stance in general on per-martial sex or how we feel about sex before marriage in regards to our own beliefs?

yewberry

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 11:37:04 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;69454
I'm a little confused on the question. Are you asking about the pagan religion's stance in general on per-martial sex or how we feel about sex before marriage in regards to our own beliefs?

Given that there is no single pagan religion, and that different religions often have different opinions on myriad subjects...

Brina

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:50:35 am »
Quote from: Chatelaine;69423
Islam (look up 'honour killings'), Judaism, Hinduism (very ironic, considering so much of their mythology, and a prime example of talking the talk but not walking the walk), Sikhism, even Buddhism (celibacy makes for less attachment). Local culture has a lot to do with how rigidly the rules are enforced, but they are there.

Thanks for this! Lots to think about.

Quote from: Juniperberry;69434
Virginity before marriage was a practical stance in a lot of religions/cultures.

I also wouldn't say that as a modern heathen that I'm more "open or free" with sexuality. I'll certainly put the fear of STD's and pregnancies into my kids. Keep it in your pants until your mature and have a financially secure lifestyle. Unrealistic, maybe, but that's my job as a parent. *:p

*To clarify, they have to know my stance, but I also need to provide education on prevention and precautions for the reality. But I don't need to say it's fine if they are active.

You sound just like what my mother said the one and only time she talked to us about the topic. My mother actually is of the opinion that if a woman does get pregnant out of wedlock, a shotgun wedding is not the answer. She says that becoming parents is hard enough, you don't want to add in learning how to make a marriage work at the same time.

Quote from: sailor;69437
In a patrilinial or patriarchal society it gave women bargaining power. No sex unless you marry me on the chance that I might become pregnant.

In a matriarchal or matrilinial society the men who slept with a woman had no obligation to support her and her kids; that was left to her brother although the only societies that I'm aware of were much more communal so it might not have been much of an issue.

Thanks for that, I forgot that yes, it is seen as bargaining power.

Quote from: RoselynLibera;69454

Sorry for the confusion. Like Brina said, there's lots of variety in the pagan paths, so personal opinions from your own beliefs are more than welcome.
[/B]

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 11:24:48 am »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;69496

Sorry for the confusion. Like Brina said, there's lots of variety in the pagan paths, so personal opinions from your own beliefs are more than welcome.

Yep, just wanted to clarify that!

I guess I have a couple of different mindsets. I think as part of this world, you should be responsible for your actions and the outcomes of that (as in, sex leads to pregnancy and if you can't handle the pregnancy, don't be doing the sex or at least be prepared!).

That being said, I think there is real power in one's sex, sexuality and the choice to not have sex (either until marriage or just not right now). I think of virginity like veiling--if you chose to veil yourself, I respect that choice but I don't think it should ever be forced upon someone because of religion.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:09:09 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;69503
Yep, just wanted to clarify that!

I guess I have a couple of different mindsets. I think as part of this world, you should be responsible for your actions and the outcomes of that (as in, sex leads to pregnancy and if you can't handle the pregnancy, don't be doing the sex or at least be prepared!).

That being said, I think there is real power in one's sex, sexuality and the choice to not have sex (either until marriage or just not right now). I think of virginity like veiling--if you chose to veil yourself, I respect that choice but I don't think it should ever be forced upon someone because of religion.

Excellent point. So more of a personal, educated choice than a religious concept?
[/B]

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:48:48 pm »
Quote from: DancesWithHorses;69513
Excellent point. So more of a personal, educated choice than a religious concept?

I think religion is a personal choice and I hope one that everyone is educated about before they make. My idealism aside, it's a personal choice that can be made for religious reasons? I think that's how I'd like to phrase that.

DancesWithHorses

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:02:03 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;69520
I think religion is a personal choice and I hope one that everyone is educated about before they make. My idealism aside, it's a personal choice that can be made for religious reasons? I think that's how I'd like to phrase that.

I like that phrasing, probably the most appropriate.
[/B]

sailor

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 03:07:07 pm »
Quote from: RoselynLibera;69503

I think of virginity like veiling--if you chose to veil yourself, I respect that choice but I don't think it should ever be forced upon someone because of religion.

I have an issue with this. If your religion says that virginity is an absolute religious requirement (ie forced, such as in you will be killed if you violate it), why would somebody who disagrees with that want to remain in that religion?

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 03:22:12 pm »
Quote from: sailor;69533
I have an issue with this. If your religion says that virginity is an absolute religious requirement (ie forced, such as in you will be killed if you violate it), why would somebody who disagrees with that want to remain in that religion?

You're assuming that people can always get out of religions. Even if you stop believing in a religious tenet, you may be for a variety of reasons stuck in a society that enforces, say, the death of fornicators or sodomizers or people who wear blue hats.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Tags: