collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Virginity (and Virgin Goddesses) in Ancient Greece  (Read 11089 times)

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://alisonleighlilly.com/
Virginity (and Virgin Goddesses) in Ancient Greece
« on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:11 pm »
I'm not very familiar with ancient Greek religion and culture, so I was wondering if folks here could help me out in exploring this particular subject...

Poking around online recently, I came across an interesting article by Thista Minai on the concept of virginity in ancient Greek culture, in which she draws on what I guess you could call Greek metaphysics about the symmetry of the body to explain why virginity was an important aspect of feminine independence. She asks why the goddess Artemis would choose to abstain from sex, and then goes on to offer an answer:

The answer to this question can be found by studying the oracle of Apollo at Delphi. The Pythia was a virgin priestess of Apollo who gave prophecies from the God in His temple at Delphi. Sissa tells us (again in Greek Virginity) that vapors coming from a crack in the earth induced a hallucinogenic trance in which the Pythia delivered these oracles. The fumes entered the Pythia's vagina as she sat on a tripod perched over the chasm. Sissa goes on to explain how the significance of this lies in the ancient Greek perception of symmetry in the human body: the ancient Greeks believed the body to be symmetrical not only horizontally, but vertically as well. Thus the vagina and the mouth corresponded to one other. Therefore, when the essence of Apollo, in the form of fumes emitted from the earth, entered the Pythia through her vagina, it was logical to the ancient Greeks that this essence would then exit her body through her mouth in the form of divine prophecies. In order for the Greeks to be absolutely certain that all the words escaping her lips were sent by the God Himself and only Him, the Pythia must be completely pure and devoid of outside influences, i.e. chaste. In this way the authenticity of her oracles were guaranteed, because the only things coming out of her mouth were the same things that went into her 'mouth.'
This is really interesting and seems to make a lot of sense... But it contradicts what I've read elsewhere about the Pythia. Most importantly, that she was not actually a virgin. From what I understand, the emphasis on purity and chastity of the Oracle was pretty high at least originally, and during the resurgence of interest in her during the Victorian era she was often portrayed as a lithe, young, swooning creature. But though initially this may have been the case, after an episode during which one of the Oracles was kidnapped and raped, the Delphians passed a law specifically stating that the Oracles could not be virgins, but had to be middle-aged-to-elderly women who had already had husbands and families (and were, presumably, more knowledgeable about the world, which may have aided in their ability to deliver wise and appropriate prophecies).

Then there's the fact that the Pythia breathed in the intoxicating fumes through mouth and nose, not through her "mouth".... though I don't know if the ancient Greeks knew this or not, it seems like they could probably have been able to tell the difference. (After all, they accurately reported many of the other details about how the prophesying worked, even down to the oddly sweet smell of the ethylene and the way the fumes ceased during cold winter months.)

So I'm wondering how these two accounts of the virginity of the Oracle at Delphi are reconciled, especially in relation to her visions and her relative autonomy as a powerful figure in ancient Greek society.... and how the concept of virginity plays out for modern Pagans today who worship virgin goddesses like Athena and Artemis?

Like I said, I really don't know much of anything about ancient Greek culture except what I've written here (and maybe I'm getting my facts wrong?), so I'd be really curious to hear thoughts and opinions from people with more background than me! Thanks!

--Ali
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:50:57 pm by RandallS »

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Virginity (and Virgin Goddesses) in Ancient Greece
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:31:37 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69206
I'm not very familiar with ancient Greek religion and culture, so I was wondering if folks here could help me out in exploring this particular subject...

--Ali

Well, to start with, the definition of virginity that the ancient Greeks had wasn't quite the definition that we have today.  For them, a virgin was a woman (or, I suppose, man) who wasn't married.  

Though the whole no sex thing might go hand-in-hand.

As for whether the Greeks knew about where the fumes that the Pythia breathed in were, well, taken in...I don't think they would have thought that the fumes entered through her vagina.  

They certainly knew that She was breathing in vapors, however, and had several hypotheses as to where they came from.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 01:57:49 pm »
/snip

If the oracle was taking in the fumes, and by default taking in the gift of the god repeatedly would she still be classed as a virgin?

I agree with iulla that applying our definition of virginity to the Ancient Greek outlook would skew the meanings a little though the virgin thing has made one hell of a good story for the past however many years in recorded history.

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:04:33 pm »
Quote from: iulla;69395
Well, to start with, the definition of virginity that the ancient Greeks had wasn't quite the definition that we have today.  For them, a virgin was a woman (or, I suppose, man) who wasn't married.  

Though the whole no sex thing might go hand-in-hand.

As for whether the Greeks knew about where the fumes that the Pythia breathed in were, well, taken in...I don't think they would have thought that the fumes entered through her vagina.  

They certainly knew that She was breathing in vapors, however, and had several hypotheses as to where they came from.

Considering that premarital sex was still viewed unfavorable (for women, at least), is there really that much difference between modern and ancient concepts?

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:11:44 pm »
and how the concept of virginity plays out for modern Pagans today who worship virgin goddesses like Athena and Artemis?

Frankly, considering the overemphasis on sex in modern Paganism, and all the virgin-shaming in modern Western society in general, honoring the virgin goddesses is actually rather refreshing.

Cannon say much about connection between virginity and the Delphic Oracle at the moment, but definitely adding Giulia Sissa's book (if I can find it in print) to my reading list.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 03:38:38 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;69400
Considering that premarital sex was still viewed unfavorable (for women, at least), is there really that much difference between modern and ancient concepts?

I think so.  I mean, there isn't a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable.  I think, to the ancient Greeks virginity was more of an issue of not being "owned" by a man, in the sense that women were really little more than walking, talking, reproducing pieces of property.  Virgins could have sex, if I remember correctly, but they were not married.  That doesn't mean that it was a totally ok thing in the eyes of the men, just that it did happen.

Whereas today, you can't be a virgin if you have sex, but there's a possibility that you can be a virgin if you are married.
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Chatelaine

• Staff
  • Metaphors be with you.
    • View Profile
    • Are We There Yet?
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:07:04 pm »

So I'm wondering how these two accounts of the virginity of the Oracle at Delphi are reconciled, especially in relation to her visions and her relative autonomy as a powerful figure in ancient Greek society.... and how the concept of virginity plays out for modern Pagans today who worship virgin goddesses like Athena and Artemis?

I don't know very much myself, but I've done my share of headscratching over the seeming inconsistencies. Fact is, our definition of virginity is different from the ancient Greeks'. How much so... not so sure.

I think (but don't quote me) that a virgin was an unmarried woman. As long as there was no proof - as in children - that she had had sex, she retained that title. The Pythia may or may not have been an actual virgin, but she was certainly required to remain chaste for the term of her service.

Virgin goddesses, on the other hand, certainly had each her own standards of purity. Artemis certainly wanted her followers untouched, considering all the transformations that happened to the unlucky nymphs that didn't resist hard enough. Athena (or Hestia, or Hecate, for that matter) doesn't seem to have such hangups.
'You created us restless, O Lord, and we find no rest until we rest in You.'
~St Augustine~
Whole blog o' nonsense: Are We There Yet?

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:35:59 pm »
Quote from: iulla;69413
I think so.  I mean, there isn't a huge difference, but it's enough to be noticeable.  I think, to the ancient Greeks virginity was more of an issue of not being "owned" by a man, in the sense that women were really little more than walking, talking, reproducing pieces of property.  Virgins could have sex, if I remember correctly, but they were not married.  That doesn't mean that it was a totally ok thing in the eyes of the men, just that it did happen.

Whereas today, you can't be a virgin if you have sex, but there's a possibility that you can be a virgin if you are married.

So I guess that still leaves me with my main question unanswered, though: what was the religious or sacred significance of virgin goddesses like Artemis or Athena for the ancient Greeks? (And how does that jive with people's experiences of them today?)

Thista's theory in her article seems to be that the sacredness of virginity was an expression or symbol of a woman's (or goddess's) self-determination and autonomy. She bases that in part on the example of the Pythia, whose prophecies were considered to be "pure" expressions of Apollo's guidance because she was a virgin (meaning, to the ancient Greeks, that she was not yet married, but presumably also implying that she had not yet had sex) --- therefore, in other words, it was Apollo alone who had influence over her, and not any other mortal man such as a husband.

But regardless of whether we're using the ancient or modern meaning of virginity here, I've read elsewhere that the Pythia was not a "virgin" in either the ancient or modern sense --- that she was usually an older women who had already been married and had kids (i.e. she'd had the necessary prerequisite of kids: sex).

If that's the case, doesn't that throw out the theory that the religious value of virginity is that a woman has not been influenced by a husband or other man via marriage/sex? If the Pythia's prophecies were still considered accurate and widely influential even though she wasn't a virgin (in either sense), then obviously the purity of her prophesying didn't have anything to do with her state as a virgin or not....

See what I'm saying? The question of whether we're using the modern or ancient definition is not the main sticking point to my question: the main sticking point seems to be that the Oracle at Delphi wasn't considered a virgin even by the ancient Greeks.

Does this suggest that the ancient Greeks saw virginity as something that was symbolic, rather than literal? Or that it could somehow be "restored" to a woman after her child-bearing years were over (if, say, she decided to leave her husband to become an Oracle)? And if the virginity of the Oracle was symbolic rather than actual, what does that mean for the virginity of the goddesses?

I don't know if I'm asking my questions very clearly, here.... Is this making sense to anyone else?

--Ali

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »
Quote from: Chatelaine;69422
Virgin goddesses, on the other hand, certainly had each her own standards of purity. Artemis certainly wanted her followers untouched, considering all the transformations that happened to the unlucky nymphs that didn't resist hard enough. Athena (or Hestia, or Hecate, for that matter) doesn't seem to have such hangups.

I have to admit, I find the Greek myths hard to handle sometimes because of the amount of rape in them. Is Artemis revenging herself against promiscuous women who were unfaithful to their vows of chastity, or is she punishing the victims of sexual assault (as seems to be the case in a lot of the stories)? This seems to me to be problematic, if it's the latter. Plus, it does kind of suggest that for the ancient Greeks it was about sex, and not marriage, at least to a certain extent.

What's also kind of interesting is that, etymologically, the word "nymph" is related to the Greek term nymphe, meaning "bride," which was the second of three stages of life for a woman, during the period of time when she was married but had not yet had her first child. (The first stage was the maiden, parthenos, and the third that of an "adult" woman, after giving birth to her first child, who was called a gyne, if I'm remembering correctly.)

As someone who is recently married but child-free by choice, that means that according to the ancient Greek definition, I'll be a nymph for the rest of my life, I guess. ;)

--Ali

Nachtigall

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 05:55:04 pm »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69425

She bases that in part on the example of the Pythia, whose prophecies were considered to be "pure" expressions of Apollo's guidance because she was a virgin (meaning, to the ancient Greeks, that she was not yet married, but presumably also implying that she had not yet had sex) --- therefore, in other words, it was Apollo alone who had influence over her, and not any other mortal man such as a husband.

Were the Pythias - the ones who were married and had children - actually referred to as virgins?
By the logic cited in paragraph above, perhaps it was important that the woman abstains from sex during all the time of her service as an oracle. As such, while she was no longer a virgin, she still wouldn't be "influenced by other men" in her prophecies.

Also, religions change over the course of time, and so did the Greek religion in different aspects (hence, the ongoing debate among Hellenic Recons, which period in the history of Ancient Greece exactly one should use as a basis for modern practice). It would be not surprising if, for practical reasons among others, the views on whether the virginity of Pythias was necessary have been adjusted.

AlisonLeighLilly

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 08:19:36 pm »
Quote from: Nachtigall;69430
hence, the ongoing debate among Hellenic Recons, which period in the history of Ancient Greece exactly one should use as a basis for modern practice

I've been looking for the source on the chastity of the Oracle -- in several different places (including William Broad's book, which is where I think I first saw it), I've seen mention of Diodorus Siculus describing how initially she was a young unmarried virgin but, after an abduction and rape, a law was passed that the Oracle could not be a virgin but had to be an older women (I guess with the implication that older women would not be tempting to a rapist?). But I can't find any exact source for where this appears in his writings, or any information about when this change took place.

Pretty much the only information I can find is the reiteration that "ancient Greeks thought about virginity differently than we do in modern times".... but that seems slightly like a side issue to me. What I'm interested in knowing is, if virginity was viewed differently (even at different times throughout the history of ancient Greece), then exactly how do those differences play out in their theology of virgin goddesses? What is the spiritual and/or ritual significance of chastity, in that case? Was it about control/ownership/power, or was there some other metaphysical or socio-political aspect to it? Or a combination of both?

And then, how does that influence modern Pagan practice and polytheism today? I've heard modern Pagans interpret the meaning of virginity in this case to be anything from literal abstinence from sex, to opposite end of the spectrum, a kind of feminine empowerment that puts the sexual freedom (and the freedom to have as much sex as you like) at its very center.... And these seem so completely different to me, I wonder how they're reconciled by modern Pagans, if there's any sense that they're actually worshipping the same goddesses at all in that case... and how they ground it back in their sense of history....

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 05:01:01 am »
Quote from: AlisonLeighLilly;69442

And then, how does that influence modern Pagan practice and polytheism today? I've heard modern Pagans interpret the meaning of virginity in this case to be anything from literal abstinence from sex, to opposite end of the spectrum, a kind of feminine empowerment that puts the sexual freedom (and the freedom to have as much sex as you like) at its very center.... And these seem so completely different to me, I wonder how they're reconciled by modern Pagans, if there's any sense that they're actually worshipping the same goddesses at all in that case... and how they ground it back in their sense of history....

I couldn't tell you, honestly, because the answer is likely not clear cut and opinions on the significance of virginity will probably differ from one person to the next.

Artemis may be a virgin goddess but she is also a goddess of childbirth, and a patron to the Amazons who didn't abstain from sex, just didn't marry the men that they slept with.

Are you saying that a person must either abstain from sex or do quite the opposite in order to have a close personal relationship with a purported virgin goddess?

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 05:59:20 am »
Pretty much the only information I can find is the reiteration that "ancient Greeks thought about virginity differently than we do in modern times".... but that seems slightly like a side issue to me. What I'm interested in knowing is, if virginity was viewed differently (even at different times throughout the history of ancient Greece), then exactly how do those differences play out in their theology of virgin goddesses? What is the spiritual and/or ritual significance of chastity, in that case? Was it about control/ownership/power, or was there some other metaphysical or socio-political aspect to it? Or a combination of both?

Okay, let me try with the limited time I have right now. 'Virgin' in ancient Greece generally meant 'unmarried'. Hekate, a virgin maiden Goddess, had sexual relationships with multiple men but still classified as a virgin Goddess. Virginity was not the same as being chaste. Contrary to Hera and Aphrodity; Athena, Artemis, Hekate and Hestia simply refused to get married.

I severely doubt this was a 'feminist move' on Their part, but was probably more a matter of staying out of the 'love' and 'marriage' portfolios of the other Goddesses.

As for modern practice; if anything, followers of a virgin Goddess cult could refrain from marriage (which also includes living with a partner, by the way, as moving in together was basically getting married). Still, modern Hellenics tend to follow the pantheon, so there is no need to refrain from God or Goddess specific no-no's. Hellenic (ethical, pious, etc.) living is far more important than following the teachings of specific cults.
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:27 am »

Like I said, I really don't know much of anything about ancient Greek culture except what I've written here (and maybe I'm getting my facts wrong?), so I'd be really curious to hear thoughts and opinions from people with more background than me! Thanks!

--Ali

Not sure it will answer all your questions but an interesting read is the book GIRLS AND WOMEN IN CLASSICAL GREEK RELIGION by Matthew Dillion

First published 2002
Includes bibliographical references and index.
1. Women and religion—Greece—History. I. Title.
BL795.W65 D55 2001
292.08'082—dc21
ISBN 0–415–20272–8
VERSO RUNNING HEAD
iv
This edition published in the Taylor & Francis e-Library, 2004.
ISBN 0-203-62132-8 Master e-book ISBN
ISBN 0-203-33857-X (Adobe eReader Format)
(Print Edition)

Content:
PART I
Public religious roles for girls and women 7
1 Women as dedicators 9
2 The public religious roles of girls and adolescent
women in Athens 37
3 Women priests 73
PART II
Segregated and ecstatic religious rites 107
4 Women-only festivals 109
5 Women at the margins of Greek religion 139
6 Prostitutes, foreign women and the gods 183
PART III
Sacrificial and domestic rituals 209
7 From adolescent girl to woman, wife and mother 211
8 Women, sacrifice and impurity 236
RECTO RUNNING HEAD
v
9 Women and the corpse: mourning rituals 268
Epilogue 293
Notes 301
Glossary 369
Abbreviations 372
Bibliography 380
Index 403
CONTENTS
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 06:21:14 am by monsnoleedra »

Fier

• Sr. Master Member
  • Daughter of the Cosmos
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic Pantheist
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 01:36:37 pm »
I

Well, there were plenty of people who worshiped these goddesses during the Hellenic period, both men and women, who were not virgins, in either the modern or ancient meaning. I don't see why modern worshipers would need to be.

Tags: