collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Epic fantasty/story enthusiast and occultist seeking answers on Asatru lore...  (Read 4323 times)

Omera

• View Profile
Hello all. Its been a long time since I've actually come here, and I think by now my oldaccount is deleted off the site. Anyway, after my pagan month or so of introduction to the wonderful world of magics, I ended up practicing a useless/ill structured system of ceremonial/chaos magick which would beget periodic results.

As of the past few weeks, I've felt a slight pull towards the germanic faiths, as they seem to make storytelling, epics, fantasy, etc as focal points for mystical work, and even go as far as to base their way of life around these ideals. I've always felt myself as a warrior type, having to be part of some form of conflict, but also seem to have an intellectual / creative side (physically I never got out much, thus I'm skinny and frail but I do wish to change this).

As for the specific event that lead me to to look into heathenism now... I was doing a pathworking on the fool, and came across the fool (his animal companion was a snake instead of a dog, and he was found wounded. I helped him up, and he told me the nature of this mental plane was a place of heathenism. Further investigations in a second pathworking, I found a barn with stags being raised, and the farmer there said they were for competitions.

What stood out to me was the statement that my own mental world is heathen, which makes me wonder if by nature I carry the same spirited heart of a heathen. It seems to be clearer ever since I did the pathworking that I want to practice heathenism and see what comes of it.

But firstly,

I need information on the following...

The runes in regards to magick:
-What runes are the best for daily workings of personal willpower and perseverance? Runes of patience, or just plain focus (I suffer ADHD) would be appreciated.
- In what ways are the runes pathworked and activated within the psyche?
-What are the warrior runes? And how would I use them to fight consistently against injustice and dishonor?
-Bindrunes: What are good rune combinations for a beginner? What are some to avoid?

The stories and lore:
-Stories depicting the nature of wizards, both evil and good.
-Attributions of deities I can associate with various things in the world, from trees to houses, what their significance is in the germanic traditions, and how I can apply them to solidifying the heathenist world view.
-Deities: Here I'm particularly interested in Tyr and Odinn, but also any associated with plants.

Other aspects of magic:
-Magical storytelling- could be writing or poetry, or even making poetic meanings out of bindrunes.
-How precisely is galdr chanted? What kind of voice would I vibrate with?
-Runic pathworking, and travelling the different worlds of the norse.

I'm open to suggestions for books, other advice, suggestions for beginner magickal workings, etc.

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: Omera;67282
Hello all. Its been a long time since I've actually come here, and I think by now my oldaccount is deleted off the site. Anyway, after my pagan month or so of introduction to the wonderful world of magics, I ended up practicing a useless/ill structured system of ceremonial/chaos magick which would beget periodic results.

As of the past few weeks, I've felt a slight pull towards the germanic faiths, as they seem to make storytelling, epics, fantasy, etc as focal points for mystical work, and even go as far as to base their way of life around these ideals. I've always felt myself as a warrior type, having to be part of some form of conflict, but also seem to have an intellectual / creative side (physically I never got out much, thus I'm skinny and frail but I do wish to change this).

As for the specific event that lead me to to look into heathenism now... I was doing a pathworking on the fool, and came across the fool (his animal companion was a snake instead of a dog, and he was found wounded. I helped him up, and he told me the nature of this mental plane was a place of heathenism. Further investigations in a second pathworking, I found a barn with stags being raised, and the farmer there said they were for competitions.

What stood out to me was the statement that my own mental world is heathen, which makes me wonder if by nature I carry the same spirited heart of a heathen. It seems to be clearer ever since I did the pathworking that I want to practice heathenism and see what comes of it.

But firstly,

-What runes are the best for daily workings of personal willpower and perseverance? Runes of patience, or just plain focus (I suffer ADHD) would be appreciated.
-What are the warrior runes? And how would I use them to fight consistently against injustice and dishonor?
-Bindrunes: What are good rune combinations for a beginner? What are some to avoid?

The stories and lore:
-Attributions of deities I can associate with various things in the world, from trees to houses, what their significance is in the germanic traditions, and how I can apply them to solidifying the heathenist world view.
-Deities: Here I'm particularly interested in Tyr and Odinn, but also any associated with plants.

Other aspects of magic:
-Magical storytelling- could be writing or poetry, or even making poetic meanings out of bindrunes.

I'm open to suggestions for books, other advice, suggestions for beginner magickal workings, etc.

Today I did a working in the yard before it got dark out, and three owls stopped by. One of them rushed away from the group and stood on a branch above me while I chanted the galdr rune to work on focus (and the rune had a definite grounding effect).

This wouldn't be the first time owls come to me either, because months ago I came across one in front of a graveyard gate. He appeared to have cataracts so maybe he was blind.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan

You seem to be approaching this from a Ceremonial Magic POV. There's nothing wrong with this, but it is not a very "heathen" approach to heathen magic. Look up info on Spæ and Seidhr for a more heathen approach to magic.

Stephen Flowers/Eldred Thorsson's Rune-Gild materials are more CM-friendly. Note, however, that Flowers is a controversial figure in Heathenism due to his association with Satanism (the Temple of Set variety).
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;67302
You seem to be approaching this from a Ceremonial Magic POV. There's nothing wrong with this, but it is not a very "heathen" approach to heathen magic. Look up info on Spæ and Seidhr for a more heathen approach to magic.

Stephen Flowers/Eldred Thorsson's Rune-Gild materials are more CM-friendly. Note, however, that Flowers is a controversial figure in Heathenism due to his association with Satanism (the Temple of Set variety).

The fool pathworking bit seemed to be the cause of the reason why I'm switching over to heathenism. The shoreside cliff land I entered seemed like something out of a norse land. I don't care to intertwine the two.

As for the author's affiliation with the temple of set, if paganism is reduced to the same ignorant religious squabbles over who has the 'right' view, than I won't be taking much part in the community outside my own practice. I believe in satanic ideals, and I must say that to be human you MUST believe some of them by proxy.

The temple of set is a conglomerate of intellectuals whose philosophy revolves around discovering ourselves, our will, and transcending ignorance. Yes black magick is condoned, but its also condoned in paganism too, regardless of what modern man has tried to say to dilute the knowledge contained therein.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Omera;673

The temple of set is a conglomerate of intellectuals whose philosophy revolves around discovering ourselves, our will, and transcending ignorance. Yes black magick is condoned, but its also condoned in paganism too, regardless of what modern man has tried to say to dilute the knowledge contained therein.

You see what you did there? When you went on about "this is what the temple is and these are the types of people that fill, it and these are our motivations?"

Well, heathenry also Is, it also has a general culture, and it also has it's beliefs.  Ceremonial occultism isn't a part of it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 10:23:13 pm by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: Juniperberry;67307
You see what you did there? When you went on about "this is what the temple is and these are the types of people that fill, it and these are our motivations?"

Well, heathenry also Is, it also has a general culture, and it also has it's beliefs.  Ceremonial occultism isn't a part of it.

I never said it was.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: Omera;67306
As for the author's affiliation with the temple of set, if paganism is reduced to the same ignorant religious squabbles over who has the 'right' view, than I won't be taking much part in the community outside my own practice.

Satanism is considered incompatible with some of what many Heathen religions consider virtues. So yes, I guess if you think all religions must be considered compatible there would be a problem with the views of the "problems-with-Flowers" people.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
Quote from: Omera;67306

As for the author's affiliation with the temple of set, if paganism is reduced to the same ignorant religious squabbles over who has the 'right' view, than I won't be taking much part in the community outside my own practice.

This is what I'm talking about. It isn't about right views, its about whether its a heathen view or not.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: Juniperberry;67313
This is what I'm talking about. It isn't about right views, its about whether its a heathen view or not.

Sorry. I only got riled up because I didn't feel like hearing something fluffy, and thats not necessarily directed at you.

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Quote from: Omera;67314
Sorry. I only got riled up because I didn't feel like hearing something fluffy, and thats not necessarily directed at you.

Sorry, just trying to follow your train of thought - what exactly came across as fluffy?
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile

As of the past few weeks, I've felt a slight pull towards the germanic faiths, as they seem to make storytelling, epics, fantasy, etc as focal points for mystical work, and even go as far as to base their way of life around these ideals.

Mystical isn't exactly the word I would use.

But firstly,

First of all, you are approaching heathenry as if it were a magical tradition instead of a culture.

You're just jumping into this way too fast. There isn't a Starhawk type list of correspondance. I'll be honest, it's kind of insulting. What can you strip away and use, is what you seem to be asking for. Read the Edda, research some of this stuff online, ask some questions that give you a feel.for what heathenry is about. Because I don't think its what you think at all.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:52:40 am by Juniperberry »

bobthesane

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ravenradio.info/

But firstly,

The stories and lore:

Other aspects of magic:

Dude... you want us to encapsulate an entire faith and worldview for you into bite sized chunks.

Do your own effin' homework, just like the rest of us. Start with the eddas, also sagas (Penguin Press has a fantastic printing of some of the Icelandic Sagas).

Also, hate to disappoint, but magic is not part of our religion. It could be considered ancillary to it, there are many heathens who practice forms of spaecraft, sidhr, galdr, etc. But the approach you appear to be looking for would be what our ancestors termed sorcery, and it was universally viewed with suspicion if not outright hostility because of the abuse it's practitioners heaped upon their neighbors. But magic is not necessary to the practice of heathenry in it's various forms.

So, go buy some books, read up online. If you want to know more about the runes, then start with the rune poems. Ragweed Forge has all three variants in the original languages and modern English translations:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/poems.html

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: Sage;67315
Sorry, just trying to follow your train of thought - what exactly came across as fluffy?

I was expecting somebody else to come into the thread and start slandering the left hand path.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
Quote from: Omera;67353
I was expecting somebody else to come into the thread and start slandering the left hand path.

While there are people on this board who do not agree with many of the various "left hand paths", generalized attacks on a religion are frowned on on TC. Note that this does not prohibit disagreeing with a religion's beliefs or stances and saying so.
Randall

Omera

• View Profile
Quote from: RandallS;67356
While there are people on this board who do not agree with many of the various "left hand paths", generalized attacks on a religion are frowned on on TC. Note that this does not prohibit disagreeing with a religion's beliefs or stances and saying so.

I'm interested in both the lore and the magick of heathenism, but my primary goal in life has always been (for the past 4 years since freshman year) to become something of a decent wizard. Thats not disregarding the culture. In fact, without knowing the culture the magick becomes less effective, or so I hear.

Tags: