Re: moses or mose by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 09:48:58 pm]

moses or mose by Larix
[Yesterday at 08:24:25 pm]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by Ashmire
[March 14, 2024, 01:21:17 am]

Re: "2001: A Space Odyssey" Becomes Real? by atr
[March 14, 2024, 01:15:08 am]

Author Topic: Magic and the Phases Moon  (Read 2462 times)

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Magic and the Phases Moon
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone uses the phases of the moon in their magical practice, and what the benefits are of doing it. I personally haven't noticed they make a big difference, but I'm curious if others have had different experiences.

Generally, the waxing moon (from new to full) is traditionally for growth, increase, and to attract things to you. The full moon is the peak of the psychic tide, and is considered a magically powerful time for most things. The waning moon (full to new) is the time of banishment, decrease, release, and is also a good time for curses.

I don't know if the phases of the moon really makes much of a difference in my workings, and I thought it would be interesting to know whether people have had similar or differing experiences.

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
Re: Magic and the Phases Moon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:53:06 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;67268
I don't know if the phases of the moon really makes much of a difference in my workings, and I thought it would be interesting to know whether people have had similar or differing experiences.

I work with the phases of the moon in the few ocassions when I do magic work. They help me focus the goal, by identifying it with the moon at the time, but I don't think there'll be a great difference if I don't take the moon phase into account.

I do mostly candle magic, no idea if that has anything to do with it. Maybe if I work with other types of magic I would have to check the moon better.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 05:15:55 pm »

I find they make a general difference in the flow of energy, especially in group-related work (or at least N>1 work).

In general for personal work, I look at what I need to do, when I want to do it by, and adapt. (So if I want to do a banishing thing, and the moon is waxing, I'll adapt the framing of what I'm doing if I don't want to wait.)

I also get a great deal more specific about timing (not just moon phase, but other astrological details) for some workings.
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:54:36 am »

I keep doing it accidentally, so I've been using it as a "focal point", if you'll pardon my lack of correct terminology.

I mentioned recently that I collected stones to make runes; I just went out in the middle of the night to get them, and it coincidentally was the Full Moon, and I was very excited.

Before that I was having personal issues with my roommate (who was herself having personal issues that she was in denial about), and when I sat down to ask for strength and guidance, I realized it was the New Moon, a time to sweep things clean and start anew, a perfect time to affect new change and start over. As of now the problems have been dealt with and everything is better, and all the household changes will actually be complete by the next New Moon.

Perhaps using the Moon for magic only matters if you use Moon-related Deities in conjunction?

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:47 am »

It doesn't make much difference for me for most spells. Doing magic at the "right" phase of the moon sometimes gives a small boost. Doing magic at the wrong phase of the moon can require a bit more effort.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Arcadia

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 01:30:35 pm »

*snip*

For me, if I can I will try to align certain workings to the moon, if I can wait that is. For instance if I want to do some kind of cleansing and releasing I do use the waning moon, because to me the energy seems to flow in synch with what I am trying to achieve.

However if I need to get something done right now, I don't worry, because I have never felt the moon to work against me. For example, If I had to do a banishing in the new moon I would look at it as being significant in that, once I banish, I am starting anew, new moon, new beginning. Or the full moon would add strength of power to my banishing.

For me, it is how I work with and view the energies that affects how I choose to utilise them.
Guided be the hand and mind
[/FONT]

Caroline

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone uses the phases of the moon in their magical practice, and what the benefits are of doing it. I personally haven't noticed they make a big difference, but I'm curious if others have had different experiences.

My experience seems similar to Jenett's - far more important to group practice/ experience than personal; IME it's far easier for one person to be flexible than many (at least in ways that align in a workable fashion.)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:48:36 pm »

It depends on the workings and who they are for if the moon or other celestial bodies will play a part.  If I am doing something for myself, it depends on how I am aligned with the moons. When I am in sync with them there is greater energy, but I am more distractible, so waiting for the in betweens works better for focus in those years.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:32 pm »

Generally, the waxing moon (from new to full) is traditionally for growth, increase, and to attract things to you. The full moon is the peak of the psychic tide, and is considered a magically powerful time for most things. The waning moon (full to new) is the time of banishment, decrease, release, and is also a good time for curses.

it matters a great deal to me,but then I'm biased as I 1) worship the moon
and 2) feel a great deal of energy related to the moon.

I dig the moon and it digs me....so yahi usually incorporate moon phase in my work.

just recently actually both times I recently got struck with a spell working to do for friends,it occurred the day before a dark moon (destress spell)and a full moon(healing protecting knott spell).
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

sunflower47

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:25 am »

I never really pay too much attention to the moon phase unless whatever I'm doing has something to do with the moon, or moon related things.

Liadine (dragonflyeyes)

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:58:49 pm »

I try to take note of what the moon's doing, but the only time I tend to incorporate it in what I do is when it's full (and even then it's touch and go). The magic I do tends to be practical, and I use whatever I have on hand and do it whenever it needs to be done. It seems to work well enough for me, though I could always stand to improve. :)

Back when I first started I paid much more attention to moon phases, but I never noticed a huge difference in outcome. Part of it might be that I don't usually work much with energy in the common sense - I trust other people when they say that different moon phases are energetically different, but that just doesn't apply to me much.
We owe it to each other to tell stories [Neil Gaiman]
night's a good herd [my religious tumblr]

Tags: