Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 11:06:51 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by SunflowerP
[Yesterday at 10:30:17 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 08:31:19 pm]

Re: "Christ Is King" by Darkhawk
[Yesterday at 07:54:40 pm]

Author Topic: Working with the Elements  (Read 2175 times)

mellowitch

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Working with the Elements
« on: July 27, 2012, 01:22:51 pm »
Hi folks,

I've read a couple of things recently about working with the elements during casting a circle.

I've generally called the elements, asked them for protection and to empower my circle. Notice that I said 'asked' (example: Element of Fire, I ask that you join me here), because I generally try to show respect to forces more powerful than myself. When I visualize the elements, I tend to see them as animals that relate to the element (fire = salamander).

I read somewhere recently that some people believe the elements, when requested, need to be 'told' or commanded as to what to do (example: Element of Fire, I command you join us here and protect this circle) as they are shapeless energies that flow through time and space without any true direction, alliance, or morals (good or evil).

Is there a general consensus on this as to which is more accepted, or what do you all believe?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 01:23:44 pm by mellowitch »

SkySamuelle

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Re: Working with the Elements
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 01:40:03 pm »
Quote from: mellowitch;66275
Hi folks,

I've read a couple of things recently about working with the elements during casting a circle.

I've generally called the elements, asked them for protection and to empower my circle. Notice that I said 'asked' (example: Element of Fire, I ask that you join me here), because I generally try to show respect to forces more powerful than myself. When I visualize the elements, I tend to see them as animals that relate to the element (fire = salamander).

I read somewhere recently that some people believe the elements, when requested, need to be 'told' or commanded as to what to do (example: Element of Fire, I command you join us here and protect this circle) as they are shapeless energies that flow through time and space without any true direction, alliance, or morals (good or evil).

Is there a general consensus on this as to which is more accepted, or what do you all believe?

Personally, I don't ask nor I command elements - I don't work with elemental spirits as guardians of the directions and I don't believe there's only one unified spirit for each element.

I cast the circle 'with the strenght of X element' as verbal formulation but I do so knowing I am through this wording calling forth different frequencies of energy from within myself.

I think I would feel very umcorfortable calling elemental spirits for guarding my circle even if I am sure it works well for others.
“Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly.” ― Neil Gaiman *
Currently blogging at: http://seastruckbythecrossroads.wordpress.com/
Icon by jewelotus

Altair

• Staff
  • Fly high and make the world follow
    • View Profile
    • Songs of the Metamythos
  • Religion: tree-hugging pagan
  • Preferred Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »
Hi folks,

I'm of the "whatever works for you" school. It sounds like you have something that works for you already, so why upend it? Think through what the elements mean to you, and if what you're doing jibes with that, you're good.

For example, for me, the elements are a tool, a way of interpreting the world that helps me connect to it. So when I'm working with the elements, it's principally about contacting them as they manifest within and around me. To the extent that I'm trying to command the elements, it's to gain command of myself: body, mind, energy, emotions.
The first song sets the wheel in motion / The second is a song of love / The third song tells of Her devotion / The fourth cries joy from the sky above
The fifth song binds our fate to silence / and bids us live each moment well / The sixth unleashes rage and violence / The seventh song has truth to tell
The last song echoes through the ages / to ask its question all night long / And close the circle on these pages / These, the metamythos songs

The Metahuman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:28:45 pm »
Hi folks,

I do slightly the same thing as you do. When I cast my circle, I call forth to the Guardians of the Directions and the Spirits of the Elements.
I also use Elemental Energies in the Healing Arts. On a side note, I also work with the Elements in Weather Magick.
"An it harm none, do what ye will" Blessed Be^^

IceAngie

• Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she, her, hers
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 04:45:12 pm »

I'm with Altair, whatever works for you.

When I was a practicing solitary witch (a long long time ago), I used to call the elements and ask them for protection. I believed that they are energies and therefore I needed to focus them somewhere. I used a candle for fire, a bowl of water for water, a feather for air and a bowl of salt for earth.
Angeles/IceAngie/Selegna.

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:40:38 am »
what do you all believe?

I agree with the "whatever works for you" replies.

I have all the elements very well represented in my circles,
and I do call upon the awen of each to bless the proceedings,
but I know many who don't.
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Tags: