Re: Cill Shift Schedule by SunflowerP
[April 15, 2024, 03:15:33 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Altair
[April 09, 2024, 09:29:08 am]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Jenett
[April 08, 2024, 09:09:39 pm]

Re: Eclipse Time, Everyone Panic! by Sefiru
[April 08, 2024, 06:09:38 pm]

Author Topic: Problems with Tarot cards.  (Read 3535 times)

Jewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
Problems with Tarot cards.
« on: July 26, 2012, 08:56:04 pm »
I have had about three or four tarot card decks in the past 10 years.

First were the fairy tarot cards. I did a few readings with those but they just didn't feel right.

Second, I got a color your own set thinking that I just needed a different way to connect to my cards. These felt even more off.

Third, I got the Rider-Waite set thinking that maybe if I just got something basic they would work better for me. For some reason I couldn't connect to these at all. Except one card. My Chariot card had literally been following me around wherever I go. I would find it outside on the ground at the front door, in my car, in the laundry room. On my desk. Finally I stuck it to the wall in my bedroom where it has stayed put. (However this is behind the fact)

Forth, I purchased a Necronomicon set. I put it somewhere I walk passed many times a day hoping it would help us to bond but I haven't even opened them up yet. I guess I am just nervous these won't work either.

Now has anyone had any similar experience or have any idea why this would happen? Thanks
This is not the place I thought it was.

Faemon

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with Tarot cards.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:45 pm »
Quote from: Jewitch;66176
Now has anyone had any similar experience or have any idea why this would happen? Thanks

The first few decks I had just didn't reach me either, not even the basic Rider-Waite. Sometimes it's the art, sometimes it's a matter of fitting your associations and life experience into the system... Western classical elements were a challenge to me at first, for example, but even after I overcame it somewhat, the decks were just difficult for me.

It took a long time before I found a compatible deck. And I wonder what would have happened if, say, it had never been painted. Maybe I would have stopped reading at all, and would have to find a way to be okay with that-- and take up scrying, or dream interpretation, or something.

You strike me as a Mary El type person, though. ;)
The Codex of Poesy: wishcraft, faelatry, alchemy, and other slight misspellings.
the Otherfaith: Chromatic Genderbending Faery Monarchs of Technology. DeviantArt

Queen of Wands

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
    • http://theatreartistarcana.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:25 pm »

First were the fairy tarot cards. I did a few readings with those but they just didn't feel right.

Second, I got a color your own set thinking that I just needed a different way to connect to my cards. These felt even more off.

Third, I got the Rider-Waite set thinking that maybe if I just got something basic they would work better for me. For some reason I couldn't connect to these at all. Except one card. My Chariot card had literally been following me around wherever I go. I would find it outside on the ground at the front door, in my car, in the laundry room. On my desk. Finally I stuck it to the wall in my bedroom where it has stayed put. (However this is behind the fact)

Forth, I purchased a Necronomicon set. I put it somewhere I walk passed many times a day hoping it would help us to bond but I haven't even opened them up yet. I guess I am just nervous these won't work either.

Interesting! The Chariot card makes me think that with the right deck, tarot will finally "work" for you; the trouble is finding what does work. I suggest just trying new things; for example, my roommate has two decks that are meaningless to me, I can't get anything out of them but hand me my deck and I'll read them just fine. One of her decks is actually an oracle deck, maybe that would be something to look into?

Jewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 01:10:40 am »
Quote from: triple_entendre;66199
The first few decks I had just didn't reach me either, not even the basic Rider-Waite. Sometimes it's the art, sometimes it's a matter of fitting your associations and life experience into the system... Western classical elements were a challenge to me at first, for example, but even after I overcame it somewhat, the decks were just difficult for me.

It took a long time before I found a compatible deck. And I wonder what would have happened if, say, it had never been painted. Maybe I would have stopped reading at all, and would have to find a way to be okay with that-- and take up scrying, or dream interpretation, or something.

You strike me as a Mary El type person, though. ;)

I will look into the Mary El. I honestly am garbage at dream interpretation. However I am an extremely good empath so maybe I should try something that would build off of that.

Quote from: RoselynLibera;66212
Interesting! The Chariot card makes me think that with the right deck, tarot will finally "work" for you; the trouble is finding what does work. I suggest just trying new things; for example, my roommate has two decks that are meaningless to me, I can't get anything out of them but hand me my deck and I'll read them just fine. One of her decks is actually an oracle deck, maybe that would be something to look into?

I will have to pull out the cards. However I don't know if I can get the Chariot to stay in the box? I will look into an oracle deck as well.

spoOk

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 03:26:10 am »
Quote from: Jewitch;66222
I will look into the Mary El. I honestly am garbage at dream interpretation. However I am an extremely good empath so maybe I should try something that would build off of that.

I will have to pull out the cards. However I don't know if I can get the Chariot to stay in the box? I will look into an oracle deck as well.

I think finding a deck related to the one with the tag along chariot card might be good idea...it seems to me it was saying your on your way,keep going!
I keep my cards under/beside my pillow in the bed.
I was given a set of rider Waite and pretty much never used them,I also have a set of 'gypsy fortune card game' cards....mostly for the old school fiftys Halloween look,they were a garage sale find and live on my shelves with all my other spooky bits n bobs.
I was lucky: I saw,gasped and then bought the tarot deck I currently use and have only ever used that one deck and it's never done me wrong,except when it's in a bad mood and gives me ALOT of swords in the readings...:p
the Halloween tarot. saw it loved it bought it,done.
never had the urge to own any other ones,not even for just the art.
Ize bel zafen.
Ize bel daleen.

Utusitusi

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://sekhenetnut.livejournal.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:12 am »
Quote from: spoOk;66232

I have a lot of trouble connecting with a standard 78-cards Tarot deck, especially with the minor arcana and I've tried a few.
I'm a huge believer in mixing and matching though, so I use a Mlle Lenormand deck with which I have great results and a deck of Goddess Oracle cards. I am planning on buying the major arcana of an egyptian-themed tarot deck, but I will be using it as an addition to the sets I already have and I'll probably let the imagery on the cards speak for themselves instead of going with the standard meanings.

Jewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 02:29:48 pm »
Quote from: spoOk;66232
I think finding a deck related to the one with the tag along chariot card might be good idea...it seems to me it was saying your on your way,keep going!
I keep my cards under/beside my pillow in the bed.
I was given a set of rider Waite and pretty much never used them,I also have a set of 'gypsy fortune card game' cards....mostly for the old school fiftys Halloween look,they were a garage sale find and live on my shelves with all my other spooky bits n bobs.
I was lucky: I saw,gasped and then bought the tarot deck I currently use and have only ever used that one deck and it's never done me wrong,except when it's in a bad mood and gives me ALOT of swords in the readings...:p
the Halloween tarot. saw it loved it bought it,done.
never had the urge to own any other ones,not even for just the art.

The Halloween decks do have great artwork.

Now I wonder, because my best friend bought me the first deck might it feel more connected to her?

nfurman

• Jr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:33 pm »

Have you tried hitting a store and just dowsing your way through the decks?  Just a thought.  Even the Thoth deck?  Lovely art and very open to your intuition possibly.
Or even- the Steampunk? :)

Jewitch

• Sr. Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 04:05:45 pm »
Quote from: nfurman;66283
Have you tried hitting a store and just dowsing your way through the decks?  Just a thought.  Even the Thoth deck?  Lovely art and very open to your intuition possibly.
Or even- the Steampunk? :)

Thats how I got my Necronomicon set. Sadly there is no nowhere near me to do this. However if I ever go get out near one I will try it.

SunflowerP

• Host
  • Don't teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
    • View Profile
    • If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough
  • Religion: Eclectic religious Witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: sie/hir/hirs/hirself
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 06:20:08 pm »
Quote from: nfurman;66283

Nanette!  Long time, no see!

Sunflower
I'm the AntiFa genderqueer commie eclectic wiccan Mod your alt-right bros warned you about.
I do so have a life; I just live part of it online!
“Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” - Oscar Wilde
"Nobody's good at anything until they practice." - Brina (Yewberry)
My much-neglected blog "If You Ain't Makin' Waves, You Ain't Kickin' Hard Enough"

monsnoleedra

• Sr. Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 06:38:12 pm »

It may sound crazy but i've known a few people that never connected to traditional Tarot cards or Oracle cards but could read very well with a standard deck of playing cards.  Each card does have a counter to a traditional tarot with a few modifications.  For instance suicide kings meant more than just the suit or king card as they held duel purposes, same with the one eyed jacks.

Not sure of any books to reference as I have not seen to many that do more than say yes they are used at times.

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 11:59:03 pm »
Quote from: monsnoleedra;66315
It may sound crazy but i've known a few people that never connected to traditional Tarot cards or Oracle cards but could read very well with a standard deck of playing cards.  Each card does have a counter to a traditional tarot with a few modifications.  For instance suicide kings meant more than just the suit or king card as they held duel purposes, same with the one eyed jacks.

Not sure of any books to reference as I have not seen to many that do more than say yes they are used at times.

Yeah, I've seen a few friends do readings with standard playing decks as well. You can find a lot of information about it on the web, and considering Tarot cards themselves were originally playing cards, the concept seems to have come full-circle.
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:27:34 am »
Quote from: Sharysa;66348
Yeah, I've seen a few friends do readings with standard playing decks as well. You can find a lot of information about it on the web, and considering Tarot cards themselves were originally playing cards, the concept seems to have come full-circle.

There's a very nice playing card deck created to read with and there's a great book too.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/playing-card-oracles/
the authors webpage: http://anacortez.com/

This is by far one of my favorite deck of cards, and I have a "few" tarot decks too. I also use runes, and I have noticed that they're easier for me to work with than the tarot, I think it's because there's a set of meanings that you just stick with, and also because there's just one symbol each. As tarot cards go, I'm somewhat of a collector, but I'm still learning to read them properly. All the decks read differently, and witch one I use at a certain time depends on my mood, I also tend to get new favorites as I use one deck more than others :)

To the OP: The idea of going to a store and hanging out with cards is  good. I work in a store like that and people can sit there for hours choosing their deck. To connect with your deck, try to draw a card each morning, or just look at the cards, write stories about them or just something to "interact" with the cards. I hope that makes sense.

SueAgent

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 07:25:30 pm »

Thanks

My first set of Tarot Cards were "Dragon Moon" or something like that. There were a lot of dragons, obviously, but all the swords were hilted with dragonflies, which was admittedly clever, but it made that entire suit quite cluttered by the time you'd get to six or seven, and just plain jumbled at ten.

I bought a "regular" set of Rider-Waite, and it was a ton easier to remember and understand them, with a few exceptions. Then again, I have invested a lot of time with several interpretation books, and I believe the best was "The Tarot Revealed" or something like that, by Paul Fenton-Smith. That really helped a lot, and 90% of my notes are from his book.

Some day I would like to make my own set- maybe this would help you, because then you can look up the symbol and then draw up what will help you to remember the meaning (Plus, imagine the attatchment you'd have to cards crafted by your hand! :) ). Then again, it it probably me take a month's frustration to draw up maybe three cards, let alone 78. :( Oh well.

Aine Rayne

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Problems with Tarot cards.
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:02 pm »

If it makes you feel better I have this problem. My first deck was a rider-waite type that was just neutral towards me. Not in a good way though, more apathetic than anything. My shadowscapes deck seems to have mixed feelings. Both decks tend to give me confusing or repeatedly negative readings and it's a shame since i really love how beautiful the shadowscapes tarot is. I seem to have connected quite well with The Magician and The World in that deck though. Currently fourteen cards are mysteriously damaged, two quite severely. The Seven of Pentacles and Four of Swords to be exact. I do have an interest in dream interpretation, but i can't say I'm well versed.
Finding the Secret Places This is my new blog

Tags: