collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Water Offerings  (Read 4245 times)

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Water Offerings
« on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:51 pm »
I know the ancient Celts gave water offerings to their Gods, and I thought about starting to do this sence I will be moving to a house with a creek right behind it. Does anyone do water offerings? And what do you offer when doing them?
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Sage

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://sageandstarshine.wordpress.com
Re: Water Offerings
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;66164
I know the ancient Celts gave water offerings to their Gods, and I thought about starting to do this sence I will be moving to a house with a creek right behind it. Does anyone do water offerings? And what do you offer when doing them?

I've offered beer, juice, water, birdseed, cornmeal, and fruit in moving streams. The thing to keep in mind is that your offerings are biodegradable and won't harm the ecosystem.
Maker, though the darkness comes upon me,
I shall embrace the light. I shall weather the storm.
I shall endure.
What you have created, no one can tear asunder.

-Canticle of Trials 1:10

Sage and Starshine (my spiritual blog): last updated 2/25.
Friday Otherfaith Blogging: last updated 2/27
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013.

Aster Breo

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
Water Offerings
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »
Does anyone do water offerings? And what do you offer when doing them?

I don't live near a convenient body of water, but I've occasionally done offerings while visiting lakes and streams.  What I offer depends on why, whether it's planned or spontaneous, and what I have with me.  So my offerings have ranged from food/drink to pieces of jewelry.  I don't offer jewelry often, of course, since it's expensive, but I've done it a few times now.
"The status is not quo."  ~ Dr. Horrible

Seren

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • http://tairi-cr.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:27 pm »

For water offerings I tend to offer small silver items like jewellery or pennies such as when I'm paying the rent to ManannĂ¡n. Otherwise I'll give food offerings, so long as I know they won't harm the wildlife. I prefer not to pour alcohol into water because it's poisonous to fishes, but I've occasionally made libations of soft drinks.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:49:49 pm »
Quote from: Seren;66394
For water offerings I tend to offer small silver items like jewellery or pennies such as when I'm paying the rent to ManannĂ¡n. Otherwise I'll give food offerings, so long as I know they won't harm the wildlife. I prefer not to pour alcohol into water because it's poisonous to fishes, but I've occasionally made libations of soft drinks.
Thanks for all the input, I figured I would offer coins and food. I will try and not detroy the environment, don't think the Gods would like that very much.

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 08:16:01 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;66443
Thanks for all the input, I figured I would offer coins and food. I will try and not detroy the environment, don't think the Gods would like that very much.

I've offered both wine and beer by pouring it directly over bare soil, and sometimes into the composter.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 10:33:32 am »
Does anyone do water offerings? And what do you offer when doing them?

On the beach, I use a stick or stones and shells to write messages in the sand, and let the tide take them out to sea...  
On the tidal river at the back of where I live, I tend to offer flowers, just a couple at a time... and the odd libation...  
I've stopped the practice I used to have of putting messages in tin foil "boats" with a lit tea light in it because I worry it might have hurt wildlife and damaged the environment..
It\'s all about the Ebb and Flow...

Sharysa

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 04:32:42 pm »
Huh. I've never really thought of water-offerings since I don't have the resources for offerings in general, but since reading this thread I've started thinking of sea offerings. Living on an island and all.

They probably shouldn't be too big or frequent, since the city has laws against feeding the wildlife and polluting the water. Definitely not doing alcoholic libations into the sea, unless someone on the divine plane specifically asks me to.

Quote from: MoonCrone;66508
I've stopped the practice I used to have of putting messages in tin foil "boats" with a lit tea light in it because I worry it might have hurt wildlife and damaged the environment..

Maybe you could make the boat out of biodegradable materials (thick paper/cardboard or light wood) and make sure the candle's organic?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 04:33:51 pm by Sharysa »
On hiatus, but might pop in now and then. Just making it official.

My blog. 40% normal, 60% spiritual, 500% details.

Asch

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »
Quote from: Sharysa;66547

Maybe you could make the boat out of biodegradable materials (thick paper/cardboard or light wood) and make sure the candle's organic?

I've thought about doing something similar with thin rice paper, maybe applying a thin coat of beeswax to temporarily waterproof it first and using a small beeswax candle vs. paraffin etc.

Nyktipolos

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

There's these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62873819/10-acorn-cap-candles-floating-beeswax?

They also sell similar ones but with walnut shells.
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
On the Rivers

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 07:57:33 am »

Thank you for the suggestion, I will give it a try next time I feel the need to make a water-based offering!  :)  Don't know why I haven't thought about that myself before, really... Doh!!! :confused:

MoonCrone

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 07:58:50 am »
Quote from: Nyktipolos;66577
There's these: http://www.etsy.com/listing/62873819/10-acorn-cap-candles-floating-beeswax?

They also sell similar ones but with walnut shells.

Coolies!  Thank you for sharing xx  :)

Juni

• Grand Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Eclectic
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »
Quote from: Seren;66394
I prefer not to pour alcohol into water because it's poisonous to fishes, but I've occasionally made libations of soft drinks.

I reserve my alcohol libations for reverted offerings or fire offerings- I avoid water for the reason Seren mentioned, and land because, in my experience, land spirits on the North American continent tend not to appreciate it.
Join the Emboatening Crew over on Kiva! Emboatening the boatless since Opet 2013!

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
Quote from: Juni;66802
I reserve my alcohol libations for reverted offerings or fire offerings- I avoid water for the reason Seren mentioned, and land because, in my experience, land spirits on the North American continent tend not to appreciate it.
I will probably keep my offerings at food and small objects that won't effect the wildlife in the creek.

Egarwaen

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 05:42:01 pm »
Quote from: Juni;66802
I reserve my alcohol libations for reverted offerings or fire offerings-

Fire offerings are, I presume, burned? But what are reverted offerings? (Excuse the noob)

Tags: