collapse

Author Topic: Spiritual Exercise  (Read 7127 times)

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
Spiritual Exercise
« on: July 22, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
I know people do it with yogurt and tai chi and a few other things, and was wondering if anyone had some spiritual exercises they wanted to share?

Spiritual connection is so intimate and individual at times, that I think there must be some very different ways that people do this with exercise that I have never considered.

As for me, finding spiritual connection through cycling was something that just happened. I didn't start riding as a spiritual endeavor, but sure enough, the turning of the wheels got me thinking. But it wasn't until I began cycling through woods (we have a great paved trail here constructed over an abandoned train line that runs through the woods off farm fields) that I began to purposefully use that time and movement in a religious kind of way. Seeing the season turn as I make my wheels turn. It's hard to explain the feelings I get.

There are 4-5 months when I cannot ride and then I walk with the same purpose in mind even through snow. It's not as easy on the joints, but I've been addicted for years to both the spiritual connections, but likely the endorphins too (only get that rush with the cycling though).

The original purpose was to get more healthy in body, but it turned out to do wonders for my spirituality and my depression. Though not a cure for the latter, it has helped me as a coping tool sometimes.

I have a friend who does pottery as spiritual exercise. I was surprised at the amount of physicality that went into it from start to finish. And he also has said the spinning wheel was one of the first things that prompted him to think deeply coincidentally. He uses a kick wheel even when the electric ones are available, something about doing that he's said is simultaneously hypnotic and energizing.

Anybody have any exercises they do that have turned out to be or started as spiritual connections?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:38:58 pm by Annie Roonie »

Marilyn/Absentminded

• Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Spiritual Exercise
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;65532
I know people do it with yogurt and tai chi and a few other things, and was wondering if anyone had some spiritual exercises they wanted to share?

Not exactly an exercise, but I find ice cream deeply spiritual. :)

Absent
I smile when I\'m angry.  I cheat and I lie
I do what I have to do to get by
But I know what is wrong, and I know what is right
And I die for the truth in my secret life

In My Secret Life, L. Cohen

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 12:01:47 am »
I know people do it with yogurt .....?

:ange:

Martial arts has in the past been good 'spiritual exercise' for me.  Kicking the crap out of nobody in particular makes for a good meditiative time, believe it or not.  Intense exercise gives the mind time to wander.

Yard work is another 'meditative action' for me, not when I'm behind the lawnmower but when I've got my hands in the dirt.

Ice cream is damn near holy, btw.
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:36:02 am »
Quote from: MadZealot;65536
:ange:

Martial arts has in the past been good 'spiritual exercise' for me.  Kicking the crap out of nobody in particular makes for a good meditiative time, believe it or not.  Intense exercise gives the mind time to wander.

Yard work is another 'meditative action' for me, not when I'm behind the lawnmower but when I've got my hands in the dirt.

Ice cream is damn near holy, btw.

What kinds of martial arts do you do?

I hear you with the yard work!

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:38:21 am »
Quote from: Marilyn/Absentminded;65535
Not exactly an exercise, but I find ice cream deeply spiritual. :)

Absent

haaaa! Both of you got me. I have used "yogurt" for yoga since I was little and I have stubbornly refused to change it in speaking, but slipped up in writing.:D:

And I will agree wholly that ice cream is divine!

MadZealot

• Adept Member
  • Eye yam tu papi.
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Founder of the Church of No Pants.
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:46:26 am »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;65544
What kinds of martial arts do you do?

Karate and tae kwon do, but it's been a while.  I used to be able to stand in a doorway and kick the top of it, without moving, pulling a muscle, or splitting my pants.  Used to.  :ashamed:
You have my sword
And my shield
And my... um... slacks.

Maps

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 12:52:40 am »

For me, it's breadmaking, hiking, camping, and doing much of anything in deep water (freediving, boating, bodyboarding). I'd always found the beach to be a really magical place.

Other stuff that isn't nearly as conscious but is seriously fundamental to who I am (and therefore I'd consider spiritual on a different level) is writing and art-making. Something else that I've been doing for a long time and have started looking at through that lens is actually cosplay (impersonating/channeling/becoming culture heroes, etc).

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 05:35:51 am »
Quote from: Maps;65552
Something else that I've been doing for a long time and have started looking at through that lens is actually cosplay (impersonating/channeling/becoming culture heroes, etc).

I was nodding to the other things Can totally see how all of them could work for a person. Want bread now. And to see the virtual aquarium. :D:

But THIS one! Flat out awesome. I had never thought of it that way before. I've loved seeing people get so excited about it and how clever they are with design, but this is deeper. It makes sense.

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 07:28:30 am »

Shockingly - knitting!  (everyone now throw things at me.  Preferably yarn).  Though actually, I've just started spinning with a drop spindle - and OH MY GODS it's just meditative.  It's perfect.  I see a LOT of shorn animal in my future.

Being able to take something and transform it into something else is just cool. :D:

veggiewolf

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 08:58:25 am »

Anybody have any exercises they do that have turned out to be or started as spiritual connections?

Swimming, for me, is meditative.  I really should do it more often as I end up feeling so connected.

I'll also second Shadow's note about the drop spindle...until the roving breaks, anyway. ;)
Fluid Morality - my spiritual blog
Eating Monsters - my mental health blog

"Religion does not define a deity- it defines the human approach and interpretation of deity." - Juni
"I hate magical thinking in my magic." - Darkhawk
"...a baseball club; a soccer unkindness; a hockey murder; a football team..." - Cecil, Welcome to Night Vale

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 09:05:43 am »
Quote from: veggiewolf;65628
Swimming, for me, is meditative.  I really should do it more often as I end up feeling so connected.

I'll also second Shadow's note about the drop spindle...until the roving breaks, anyway. ;)

For me it's when I somehow get my thread unhooked and the spindle goes flying across the room.

mad skillz, I have them.

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 11:05:42 am »
I use yoga(yogurt) in my practice, but I also run a lot and that usually is really good for meditating and getting in the so called zone.
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
Quote from: HeartShadow;65603
Shockingly - knitting!  (everyone now throw things at me.  Preferably yarn).  Though actually, I've just started spinning with a drop spindle - and OH MY GODS it's just meditative.  It's perfect.  I see a LOT of shorn animal in my future.

Being able to take something and transform it into something else is just cool. :D:

I am going to have to look up videos for this.

The transformation, the use of nature like that is inspiring to me.

Annie Roonie

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 03:32:18 pm »
Quote from: Celtag;65637
I use yoga(yogurt) in my practice, but I also run a lot and that usually is really good for meditating and getting in the so called zone.

I am a wuss about running due to the bouncing and some joint pain, but runner friends often describe points during the run as being very spiritual. I think it has to be one of the most natural things a human can do.

I need to actually enroll in a yogurt class. I am working on it. I have this notion that it might help with centering. Has that been your experience or is it helpful in another way?

Jenett

• Senior Staff
    • View Profile
    • Seeking: First steps on a path
  • Religion: Initiatory religious witchcraft
  • Preferred Pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 05:44:43 pm »
Quote from: Annie Roonie;65680
I am going to have to look up videos for this.

The transformation, the use of nature like that is inspiring to me.

There's some awesome videos out there. I'd also suggest checking out Ravelry (fiber social media site) for spinning meet-ups near you: there are a bunch of them about, spinners are generally quite friendly at helping other people get started, and there's a few things that are *much* easier to show in person.

(Spinning: also meditative for everyone else around you: I have been known to silence entire rooms, and quiet screaming toddlers in airports by pulling out the spindle. Though I am now vaguely contemplating a portableish wheel next, now I finally have somewhere to store it.)
Seek Knowledge, Find Wisdom: Research help on esoteric and eclectic topics (consulting and other services)

Seeking: first steps on a Pagan path (advice for seekers and people new to Paganism)

Tags: