collapse

Author Topic: Divination with Stones?  (Read 1559 times)

Malia

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
Divination with Stones?
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:44:32 am »
So the other day I discovered a Scott Cunningham book in my library, the one about stone magick. (The book I usually use for looking up a stone's metaphysical proprrties had been checked out.) Honestly, I didn't get anything out of it, but the notion of using select stones to represent the Major Arcana in Tarot got me thinking.

I have a large (and still growing) collection of tumbled stones that I normally use for charms and as situation-specific worry stones. My idea is that I could also use these for divination, their properties reflecting their meaning; for instance, rose quartz for love, carnelian for confidence, fluorite for clarity, etc. A reading would probably involve selecting stones--with closed eyes--based on what intuition would dictate, and then intuitively lay them out. I don't know what kind of spreads it'd implement; I might just use Tarot spreads since that's what I'm familiar with.

So, any thoughts?

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Divination with Stones?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 11:03:33 am »
Quote from: Malia;64970
So the other day I discovered a Scott Cunningham book in my library, the one about stone magick. (The book I usually use for looking up a stone's metaphysical proprrties had been checked out.) Honestly, I didn't get anything out of it, but the notion of using select stones to represent the Major Arcana in Tarot got me thinking.

I have a large (and still growing) collection of tumbled stones that I normally use for charms and as situation-specific worry stones. My idea is that I could also use these for divination, their properties reflecting their meaning; for instance, rose quartz for love, carnelian for confidence, fluorite for clarity, etc. A reading would probably involve selecting stones--with closed eyes--based on what intuition would dictate, and then intuitively lay them out. I don't know what kind of spreads it'd implement; I might just use Tarot spreads since that's what I'm familiar with.

So, any thoughts?

Sounds like a nice plan. Some other ideas which came to mind; throwing out the stones and reading from top to bottom the influence on the question. From experience, I say that anything thrown usually creates a kind of line between the top and bottom. Look for this line and read only what is above (read: furthest away from you) that line.

Another option would be to create a field wih a pie chart on it. These pie parts can stand for a couple of things; three parts for past, present, future or twelve parts for the astrological houses, for example. Throw out the stones and see where they land. Any stone not on the field doesn't count towards the reading.

Good luck!
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

Phaedric

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Divination with Stones?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:58:36 pm »
Quote from: Malia;64970

So, any thoughts?

I've been using small, untumbled "field" stones instead of the box-of-dirt method for creating the figures in geomancy since I started working with it. I also have selected stones that I use as "planetary significators," and that I cast on a prepared "12-slice" astrological pie chart as described in the previous post. The idea of using stones came from Israel Regardie, but I use the basic approach to geomancy (and astro-geomancy) described in the Golden Dawn method, along with input from Agrippa, Stephen Skinner and John Michael Greer.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:59:58 pm by Phaedric »
Hamlet was right! But so was P.T. Barnum . . .

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
Re: Divination with Stones?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 07:01:20 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;64977
Another option would be to create a field wih a pie chart on it. These pie parts can stand for a couple of things; three parts for past, present, future or twelve parts for the astrological houses, for example. Throw out the stones and see where they land. Any stone not on the field doesn't count towards the reading.

A similar idea that I've seen used...

You have a cloth mat that has symbols on it. You toss the stones onto the mat and make interpretations based on which stones are on or near which symbols.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

Tags: