collapse

* Recent Posts

Author Topic: Mixing traditions and/or practices.  (Read 4573 times)

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Mixing traditions and/or practices.
« on: July 15, 2012, 04:35:56 pm »
I'm getting a bit annoyed by the lack of a coherent magical and/or spiritual foundation in my practice.
I have never been comfortable with a whole tradition, and happy with doing things my own way. Recently I started reading about Chaos magic and it felt like things started coming together. Using what works seems like a good idea, but i believe in a lot of different things that I'm not prepared to throw away just because something more interesting comes along.

I'm trying to get all my beliefs and practices to fit together but it's very difficult. Not having a solid foundation makes me doubt what I'm doing is right. On the other hand I can't just pick a magical system because there always seem to be things that I don't agree with.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Sven Torden

• View Profile
Re: Mixing traditions and/or practices.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:15:02 pm »
Quote from: Haugatysja;64287
I'm getting a bit annoyed by the lack of a coherent magical and/or spiritual foundation in my practice.
I have never been comfortable with a whole tradition, and happy with doing things my own way. Recently I started reading about Chaos magic and it felt like things started coming together. Using what works seems like a good idea, but i believe in a lot of different things that I'm not prepared to throw away just because something more interesting comes along.

I'm trying to get all my beliefs and practices to fit together but it's very difficult. Not having a solid foundation makes me doubt what I'm doing is right. On the other hand I can't just pick a magical system because there always seem to be things that I don't agree with.

It's quite the same for me, but I don't consider this like a real problem.

I have started to discover this world with wiccans, nevertheless I wasn't totally convinced by their movement, and  I moved to one traditions to another.  

One of my friend said that she made her  own "soup".

We have the chance today, to have access to so many differents culture and knowledges. Even if I'm not feeling totally in this or this movement. I'm enjoy to thought that I'm in a more larger movement/tradition : the human tradition

Shine

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://houseofthelion.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:08:16 pm »

Kind of, but not from the perspective of a magical system. I'm finding that trying to find a way to integrate two different traditions in my life while being rooted in one just. Isn't. Working. I think when we mix traditions and/or practices, we kind of have to have our own "system" in which to work these elements. For example, the ancient Egyptians had their own system that integrated their gods and society. Same for the ancient Greeks. And the Celts. And virtually every other culture in the world.

So, by "system", I guess I mean a religion, or personal tradition. Being that I want no part of that, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place until I can find a compromise that works for me and my gods.

With whole traditions, there are always going to be things we don't agree with. For example, I don't like what I see as sexism in ancient Greek religion. I'm not sure how much I like idea of kingship from the perspective of ancient Egypt. I think we have to really look at those things we don't like and decide if that's going to be a dealbreaker, or if it's something tolerable.
Leave your darkness with me, and I will make you shine.

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 12:32:59 pm »

I did for a long time, although more with religious traditions than magical systems. Right now my focus is pretty specific, but that could change, and I expect it to.

I found this video a while ago, and I think she makes a lot of good points:

[video]http://youtu.be/rHeH3qI8kFQ[/video]

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 06:27:05 pm »

Here are the six building blocks of a worldview:

1.An explanation of the world

2.A futurology, answeringthequestion"whereare weheading?"

3.Values, answerstoethical questions: "Whatshould wedo?"

4.A praxeology, or methodology, or theory of action.: "How should we attain our goals?"

5.An epistemology, or theory of knowledge. "What is true and false?"

6.An etiology. A constructed world-viewshould contain an account of its own "building blocks," its origins and construction.

I'd suggest answering each of these based on your current philosophy. Then, as you find practices and traditions that interest you, you can compare them to one of the six elements and figure out where they can fit in to your system. The more you know why something has been added to your list and how it relates to other elements within it, the more developed and structured your practices will become.
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:32:43 am »
Quote from: Sven Torden;64294

One of my friend said that she made her  own "soup".

We have the chance today, to have access to so many differents culture and knowledges. Even if I'm not feeling totally in this or this movement. I'm enjoy to thought that I'm in a more larger movement/tradition : the human tradition

I'm of a similar opinion, "making my own soup". At times it just feels like mine has too many ingredients. I'm the kind of person who reads five different books at a time, but I'm starting too think that a somewhat different approach to magic and spirituality might be necessary.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:06 am »
Quote from: Shine;64328
Kind of, but not from the perspective of a magical system. I'm finding that trying to find a way to integrate two different traditions in my life while being rooted in one just. Isn't. Working. I think when we mix traditions and/or practices, we kind of have to have our own "system" in which to work these elements. For example, the ancient Egyptians had their own system that integrated their gods and society. Same for the ancient Greeks. And the Celts. And virtually every other culture in the world.

So, by "system", I guess I mean a religion, or personal tradition. Being that I want no part of that, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place until I can find a compromise that works for me and my gods.

Yes, this is exactly it. If you have a system/foundation, you can integrate practices into it or even make changes. Are your traditions to different from each other to blend, or are there contradictions?

I have beliefs and practices but no system, yet. Or maybe, that's a system in itself :).

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 01:45:54 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;64390
I did for a long time, although more with religious traditions than magical systems. Right now my focus is pretty specific, but that could change, and I expect it to.

That's an interesting video, thanks.

Haugatysja

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 01:47:12 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;64443

4.A praxeology, or methodology, or theory of action.: "How should we attain our goals?"

6.An etiology. A constructed world-viewshould contain an account of its own "building blocks," its origins and construction.

I'd suggest answering each of these based on your current philosophy. Then, as you find practices and traditions that interest you, you can compare them to one of the six elements and figure out where they can fit in to your system. The more you know why something has been added to your list and how it relates to other elements within it, the more developed and structured your practices will become.

Yay, structure! This will be really helpful, thank you!

Micheál

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Alexandrian Wicca, Gaelic Polytheism
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 12:46:20 pm »
Quote from: Carnelian;64390

That's a good take on it.
Semper Fidelis

Celtag

• Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:10:13 pm »

Being a Celtic Recon, there isnt much per say magic involved in my practice. Really it's a more ritualistic type of religion. But I have added Magic to my work, such as traditional Witchcraft and Thelemic Magick as well. It doesnt always line up, so I have to make decisions on where I go with it, but thats a very personal choice. I have found it to be very refreshing to kind of mix things up every now and then.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:10:30 pm by Celtag »
[Now using the Cryfder account]

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 09:29:26 pm »
Quote from: Micheál;64770
That's a good take on it.

She has a lot of good videos that I've spent a lot of time watching, hehe. It's nice to see a witch on Youtube who isn't all, "I'm so Wiccan, let me talk about the herbs and gems I use in my spellz!"

Quote from: Juniperberry;64443

I think it's okay to hold conflicting worldviews at the same time. At least, I hope it is, since I certainly do :p

wadjet

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://eirikra.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 03:37:05 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;64881
I think it's okay to hold conflicting worldviews at the same time. At least, I hope it is, since I certainly do :p

Absolutely. It means nothing to the average person, but if you get into higher mathematics or physics, you start to see contradictions are not really an inhibitor to the workings of the universe. ;)

See Also: There is No God And Her Name Is Eris.

Juniperberry

• Grand Master Member
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:14 am »
Quote from: Carnelian;64881

Well, its not likely. You're not going to have an extreme of "all prisoners should be put to death" wv while simultaneously holding that "no prisoners should be put to death". You'll have a middle ground constructed of exceptions and special circumstances, the rules of which would constitute your personal wv. A checklist can be helpful in discovering where that middle ground is when working with mixed traditions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 05:58:29 am by Juniperberry »
The pace of progress in artificial intelligence (I’m not referring to narrow AI) is incredibly fast. [...] The risk of something seriously dangerous happening is in the five year timeframe. 10 years at most.--Elon Musk

I am in the camp that is concerned about super intelligence," [Bill] Gates wrote. "First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don\'t understand why some people are not concerned."

HeartShadow

• Adept Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.flamekeeping.org
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 08:24:29 am »
Quote from: Juniperberry;64932
Well, its not likely. You're not going to have an extreme of "all prisoners should be put to death" wv while simultaneously holding that "no prisoners should be put to death". You'll have a middle ground constructed of exceptions and special circumstances, the rules of which would constitute your personal wv. A checklist can be helpful in discovering where that middle ground is when working with mixed traditions.

That depends on the kind of truth you're talking about.

Niels Bohr said "Two sorts of truth: profound truths 
recognized by the fact that the opposite is also a profound truth,
 in contrast to trivialities where opposites are obviously absurd."  I think there's a lot to that.

Tags: