collapse

Author Topic: Khernips  (Read 6614 times)

Jezebel

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Khernips
« on: July 13, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »
I've been looking over the use of khernips in ritual cleansing, both for a ritual space and personally and there seems to be a lot of variations. Hearth flame extinguished in spring water, or tap water, herbs mixed with water, using sea salt, even simply using a purification benediction over the water.

It made me wonder what the Hellenes on here use personally and/or think is most effective/historically accurate.

Also, I'm lucky enough to have a natural spring in my town and was wondering if it would be appropriate to use water from it, straight from the rock?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 12:52:34 pm by RandallS »

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.littlewitchmagazine.com
Khernips
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:01:57 pm »
Quote from: Jezebel;64058
I've been looking over the use of khernips in ritual cleansing, both for a ritual space and personally and there seems to be a lot of variations. Hearth flame extinguished in spring water, or tap water, herbs mixed with water, using sea salt, even simply using a purification benediction over the water.

It made me wonder what the Hellenes on here use personally and/or think is most effective/historically accurate.

Also, I'm lucky enough to have a natural spring in my town and was wondering if it would be appropriate to use water from it, straight from the rock?

As I am on my mobile and on my way to bed, I am going to link to my blog where I talk about khernips and my daily use of it. There are those who do it a bit differently (mostly not using salted water for everything but using spring water for some or all of the purification rituals). This works very well for me.

Posts on khernips.

As far as I am aware, using the spring water you mentioned is totally fine, with or without sea salt.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to other reactions!
Where I ramble on: Baring the Aegis
Where I try to be coherent: Little Witch magazine
My PaganSquare blog as hosted by Witches & Pagans
Hellenic Polytheistic charity circle Pandora\'s Kharis.

DashesAgainst

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
Re: Khernips
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 12:31:03 am »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;64064

Posts on khernips.

As far as I am aware, using the spring water you mentioned is totally fine, with or without sea salt.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to other reactions!

Nice blog!
"Of all the rest of mankind, make him your friend who distinguishes himself by his virtue." - The Golden Verses of Pythagoras

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Khernips
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:36:49 am »
Quote from: SeaShine;64104
Nice blog!

Thank you :-) Some come out better than others, I admit, but sometimes the writing bug is a bit lackluster. I do update daily (even if mobile blogger likes to change the dates of posting XD). It's something I love to do.

RandallS

• Site Admin
    • View Profile
  • Religion: Hellenic Pagan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:18:26 am »

Personally, I think it would be very appropriate, given that it is probably more "natural" than anything else you are likely to get easily in the modern world.
Randall
RetroRoleplaying [Blog]: Microlite74/75/78/81, BX Advanced, and Other Old School Tabletop RPGs
Microlite20: Lots of Rules Lite Tabletop RPGs -- Many Free

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 12:00:27 am »

I'm not too sure about the Greek practice, but I'm fairly certain that the Roman was very similar in some regards (there is also purification with black beans, but that's purely Roman).

Using water from a spring was not unheard of, as running water was thought to be sacred; in fact, one of the tasks of the Vestal Virgins was to draw water from a sacred spring.

If you want to use water for a purification of a space, I think sprinkling the area with water via a bunch of laurel or some other sacred plant would be nice.

Salt was also sacred.  I know there's a lot of possibly impure salt out there now, so I really like Himalayan sea salt.  It's very natural, tastes better than your average salt, and it's pink!
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

Nyktelios

• Sr. Master Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:13 pm »

Spring water straight from the rock would be perfect. It just needs to be pure, clean water, so spring water is a great natural source. Personally, I just use cool tap water with a bit of salt, which does the trick.

Colloquielle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 01:50:04 pm »
Quote from: iulla;65280
Using water from a spring was not unheard of, as running water was thought to be sacred; in fact, one of the tasks of the Vestal Virgins was to draw water from a sacred spring.

Salt was also sacred.

I live about a twenty minute walk from the shore.  Would seawater be all right to use for ritual purification?

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Khernips
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 02:47:27 pm »
Quote from: Colloquielle;68805
I live about a twenty minute walk from the shore.  Would seawater be all right to use for ritual purification?

I do, so it's a yes for me.

iulla

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 02:57:32 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;68817
I do, so it's a yes for me.

I second that.

Go for it!
dum spiro, spero

Lucus Antiquus:  my religious blog

quarks

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 06:52:54 am »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;64064
As I am on my mobile and on my way to bed, I am going to link to my blog where I talk about khernips and my daily use of it.

Your blog is extremely helpful.  I really appreciate the time that you have put into it.  Thank you.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Khernips
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 06:27:01 pm »
Quote from: quarks;125591
Your blog is extremely helpful.  I really appreciate the time that you have put into it.  Thank you.

Very welcome, and thank you for reading!

Medulla

• Sr. Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 08:56:11 pm »
Quote from: Elani Temperance;125678
Very welcome, and thank you for reading!

I have to second the thing about your blog being very helpful. As I said in a thread I started, I haven't been worshipping any deities due to personal factors. However, I remember struggling a lot with khernips, I wish your blog posts had been around at the time. It would have made so much difference for me. It puts things in such a simple way that isn't overwhelming.

Elani Temperance

• Master Member
    • View Profile
Khernips
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2013, 01:35:45 am »
Quote from: Medulla;125712
I have to second the thing about your blog being very helpful. As I said in a thread I started, I haven't been worshipping any deities due to personal factors. However, I remember struggling a lot with khernips, I wish your blog posts had been around at the time. It would have made so much difference for me. It puts things in such a simple way that isn't overwhelming.

Thank you :-) And yes, I try for bite-sized chucks of information. Starting something new is hard enough as is. Good luck with getting your religious practice going!

A Disgruntled Scotsman

• Journeyman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 06:25:29 am »

I use ordinary tap water and table salt.  I haven't yet got the impression that Aphrodite is bothered by this.
/ | \\     Be The Awen!

Member of the British Druid Order.

Tags: